Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mirror writing complete lies?

• 23-02-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭

Now I don't read the newspapers because I think they're all a load of sh*** to be honest but I was of the impression that they have to follow certain laws with regards to what they print and that they can't just make stuff up completely.

However, this seems to be the case with The Mirror today as they printed an article about Ibrahimovic quoting him several times, only for him to come out on Twitter and say that he never spoke to them at all and that they're a complete joke!

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/zlatan-ibrahimovic-id-destroyed-premier-3172806

And here's the main man officially denying it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ibra_official

Does this kind of thing happen all the time? I doubt many people take The Mirror seriously anyway but would something like this not totally ruin any credibility they have as well as leave them open to legal action?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Waters wet and ice is cold.

red tops are pure and utter bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

If you read Mediawatch on football365, you will see this sort of thing all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Now I don't read the newspapers because I think they're all a load of sh*** to be honest but I was of the impression that they have to follow certain laws with regards to what they print and that they can't just make stuff up completely.

However, this seems to be the case with The Mirror today as they printed an article about Ibrahimovic quoting him several times, only for him to come out on Twitter and say that he never spoke to them at all and that they're a complete joke!

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/zlatan-ibrahimovic-id-destroyed-premier-3172806

And here's the main man officially denying it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ibra_official

Does this kind of thing happen all the time? I doubt many people take The Mirror seriously anyway but would something like this not totally ruin any credibility they have as well as leave them open to legal action?

In fairness, the Mirror never said they did speak to him. Although curiously, they don't list any sources either...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

In fairness, the Mirror never said they did speak to him. Although curiously, they don't list any sources either...

Obviously hacked his phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

HigginsJ wrote: »
    If you read Mediawatch on football365, you will see this sort of thing all the time.
    Is stuff like this allowed legally?
    Well they did use quotation marks as well as writing that he said it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They never claimed they spoke to him, and he hasn't denied he said those things.
    Looks like they just cobbled together a few old quotes into an article, standard stuff.

Ironically the sensational thread title is probably the worst part of this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is stuff like this allowed legally?

Well they did use quotation marks as well as writing that he said it :p

Again - doesn't mean a thing: he may well have said it, just not to them. Although not listing a source does make it loo suspiciously fake...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There is no such thing as a good football journalist. Sid Lowe is the only one that comes close and even that's debatable anymore.

Maybe Howard Nurse is the only one who doesn't just wrote anything.

They never claimed they spoke to him, and he hasn't denied he said those things.
    Looks like they just cobbled together a few old quotes into an article, standard stuff.

Ironically the sensational thread title is probably the worst part of this story.
    You seem like the sort of person who would read this stuff regularly and then use it to prove a point. You say that they never claimed to speak to him yet they have wrote a full article and have quoted him in it? Surely that's not allowed.

I don't think the thread title is sensational at all, just simple and straight to the point.
    Again - doesn't mean a thing: he may well have said it, just not to them. Although not listing a source does make it loo suspiciously fake...

For a national newspaper to write something like this without sourcing is embarrassingly amateur. How do people read this muck day in day out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The Independent in Ireland follow a similar style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I thought a man of the ilk of Ibrahimovic would talk to the mirror all day long if he could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Happens all the time.

Brendan Rodgers yesterday said 'I’m not satisfied just grinding out results'. The headline for the article was in quotation marks. It read "We will never play the Chelsea way". Brendan Rodgers never mentioned Chelsea once.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-4-swansea-city-3-we-will-never-play-the-chelsea-way-claims-reds-manager-brendan-rodgers-9147901.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

NukaCola wrote: »
    Happens all the time.

Brendan Rodgers yesterday said 'I’m not satisfied just grinding out results'. The headline for the article was in quotation marks. It read "We will never play the Chelsea way". Brendan Rodgers never mentioned Chelsea once.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-4-swansea-city-3-we-will-never-play-the-chelsea-way-claims-reds-manager-brendan-rodgers-9147901.html

Always astounded by how many seemingly intelligent people fall for the newspaper spin on stuff like this though. Rather than reading the actual quotes, they'll take the spin that a newspaper puts on it as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Stopped buying papers YEARS ago for anything football related.
    I was using the independent for a while but then got sick of that aswell, Dion Fanning's ego was dripping out of the pages, and for me most of the "theory" pieces he carved were trash and nonsense.

I stick mostly to F365 now, their theory and thought provoking pieces are normally good, and their post weekend recaps are excellent. Also their mediawatch as someone said, pretty much puts in black and white each week why buying papers is muck.

Unfortunately red tops seem to be a staple "source" for alot of football fans knowledge intake. Some friends of mine wouldn't be as comfortable with the internet as others, and the same with some relatives, and it's noticeable how when they comment on football, or get involved in a discussion about players or stories, it's always inferior stuff. Not being an elitist about it, but I think if you bother reading papers, your simply capping the boundaries of information you could be getting, and in most cases or not, your being fed the wrong or incorrect information.

I'd be a pretty big Ibrahimovic fan, and nowhere did I ever hear him say "He would destroy" English defences, but that is the paper trying to trick readers into thinking they got those quotes direct.

In his book he mentions in a few paragraphs how people and the world perceive him, and he mentions the English press and media, constantly saying how he hasn't proved himself, how he hasn't done it against English clubs(this book was out before the 4 goals).
    Makes a good comment that the English tend not to look past their own country to see what's going on elsewhere, that isn't a highlight on youtube.

It's embarrassing when people make those lazy critiques, when you look at his record. Has a good case for being the best striker in the world for the last 5 years. His medal haul and goal scoring return is out of this world.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Stopped buying papers YEARS ago for anything football related.
    I was using the independent for a while but then got sick of that aswell, Dion Fanning's ego was dripping out of the pages, and for me most of the "theory" pieces he carved were trash and nonsense.

I stick mostly to F365 now, their theory and thought provoking pieces are normally good, and their post weekend recaps are excellent. Also their mediawatch as someone said, pretty much puts in black and white each week why buying papers is muck.

Unfortunately red tops seem to be a staple "source" for alot of football fans knowledge intake. Some friends of mine wouldn't be as comfortable with the internet as others, and the same with some relatives, and it's noticeable how when they comment on football, or get involved in a discussion about players or stories, it's always inferior stuff. Not being an elitist about it, but I think if you bother reading papers, your simply capping the boundaries of information you could be getting, and in most cases or not, your being fed the wrong or incorrect information.

I'd be a pretty big Ibrahimovic fan, and nowhere did I ever hear him say "He would destroy" English defences, but that is the paper trying to trick readers into thinking they got those quotes direct.

In his book he mentions in a few paragraphs how people and the world perceive him, and he mentions the English press and media, constantly saying how he hasn't proved himself, how he hasn't done it against English clubs(this book was out before the 4 goals).
    Makes a good comment that the English tend not to look past their own country to see what's going on elsewhere, that isn't a highlight on youtube.

It's embarrassing when people make those lazy critiques, when you look at his record. Has a good case for being the best striker in the world for the last 5 years. His medal haul and goal scoring return is out of this world.

Best comment I've seen on Boards in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

The Villa blog 'my old man said' has a Media Muppets section. Only Villa related but it gives you an idea about how many so called sports journalists make any old thing up.

http://www.myoldmansaid.com/category/media-muppets/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You seem like the sort of person who would read this stuff regularly and then use it to prove a point. You say that they never claimed to speak to him yet they have wrote a full article and have quoted him in it? Surely that's not allowed.

Nothing wrong with what they've done, technically. Woeful article, no integrity shown and no sources given for the quotes all count against it.. But no lies told and no claims they spoke to him.

They do, however, know that their readership won't know how the game works, and that it'll be taken as them speaking directly to zlatan - but that's not really their issue once they don't lie or libel

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's the players' and managers' fault for not coming up with anything worth quoting. by making **** up the papers are providing much needed entertainment for the idiots who lap it up and some healthy outrage for those who don't.

I do love this comment on the Mirror though:
    His goals ratio is very good but he's not an all-round footballer cos his touch isn't great and doesn't track back. When he's been at top clubs he didn't play regularly so had to move on. Be good to see him in the prem though, but his attitude is terrible and would be slated by the fans and media.

Advertisement