Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

massey 50D

• 23-02-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I was looking at an early 80's massey 50d in good nick but I want to know about the torque. How do you test it. Do they give trouble and are they costly to fix?. It will mostly be used to shear grab and clean up yards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Bennyri wrote: »
    Hi I was looking at an early 80's massey 50d in good nick but I want to know about the torque. How do you test it. Do they give trouble and are they costly to fix?. It will mostly be used to shear grab and clean up yards.

I had it (torque converter swap) down to 45 minutes on JCBs when I was at them but the JCB has an easier to access transmission as it isn't load-bearing(AFAIK the 50d is tractor based so you have to split them, but I'm not 100% tbh). The converter itself is simple enough and not hugely dear nor should it give much trouble if the fluids are kept clean and fresh and correct grades used. If they are on the way out, reverse will be noticeably friskier than forwards and is very noticeable - dip the transmission and look at the fluid, if it is burnt and dirty, budget on doing the torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bennyri

I had it (torque converter swap) down to 45 minutes on JCBs when I was at them but the JCB has an easier to access transmission as it isn't load-bearing(AFAIK the 50d is tractor based so you have to split them, but I'm not 100% tbh). The converter itself is simple enough and not hugely dear nor should it give much trouble if the fluids are kept clean and fresh and correct grades used. If they are on the way out, reverse will be noticeably friskier than forwards and is very noticeable - dip the transmission and look at the fluid, if it is burnt and dirty, budget on doing the torque.

Cheers Stavros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Cheers Stavros.

50% of torque converter "failures" are down to the selector mechanism being out of adjustment anyway and can be re-set to work correctly, or else the selector is rusted and stiff as feck - again, needs a bit of tlc is all. The other 50% are down to muppets driving them with the "slam it from forward to reverse and use the converter as a brake" technique and bung in whatever oily looking substance is to hand, to whatever level seems appropriate. A bit of minding goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi Bennyri, as Stavros says, a very reliable system, even allowing for the fact than they are approaching 40 years of age. The drive coupling between the converter and the transmission pump can wear, once I backed into the shed one night, and it wouldn't move the next morning, but a couple of hundred will sort that out. Loads of them broken in parts yards, and its seldom you would need to go to Massey for new parts. Had a 65 torque once, and a gauze strainer in the bottom of the box needed replacement, and it had to come from the States, that was the only awkward bit we ever needed , and even then it was here in about 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

Test it when the machine is warm. Put it in top gear and select forward. On the level it should move off fairly handy. Test in reverse also. Also try it in third gear. Drive forward and select reverse and it should be lively enough changing direction.
    Also try driving into a mound of earth or stones. I've seen good machines slim all 4 wheels with diff lock on in 2nd and 3rd in two wheel drive no diff.
    If it is struggling to drive the wheels in first . Walk away.
    Also check oil level and condition.
    A thing on the 50hx to watch out for is the hand break cable seizes on making it look that the torque is on its way out.
    I was also told that the torque for the 50hx was designed for a more powerful six cylinder and outside of poor servicing rarely gives any trouble.
    I assume the torque and gearbox from a D is the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

On your point of the torque in a 50hx being the same as a 50d, I don't think they are same. the d is the same as the older 50b, the h is supposedly way superior. I have a plain 50 1971, torque transmission. have it 17 years. a seal went in it about 10 years ago . I split it myself, took unit to repair man, he put seal in it checked it out tightened something and charged me 80 euro. Labour is akiller ripping something like that. Treat it with respect, change the oil in it an odd time and don't use the torq as a brake and they last well enough. Lovely to load with compared to a clutch machine. Most of thesepoints have been pointed out by STAVROS , I AM ONLY AGREEING WITH HIM

• Registered Users Posts: 1 frannyann

can anyone help with a jcb 3cx problem, the forward and reverse plates were fitted and a new oil pump and after this was done and the machine back together it moved 50 yards and lost power.I noticed the small hole under the bell housing had smoke/steam coming from it.The oil pressure gauge shows 120 pounds in forward and reverse.The plate is also warped slightly on the torque convertor. wpuld it be possible that the torque convertor is starved for oil and also does anyone know where to check the torque convertor oil pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Go to Yesterdays tractor co forum and check out some of AJs posts on these transmissions - he puts it better than anyone and really knows his stuff. I could waffle on and not communicate anything you need, have a goo there, very useful facility.

Advertisement