Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anpost & mobile phones

• 23-02-2014 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Tried to send an iphone to England but was refused as it had a battery in it. So went to Enniskillen Post Office. Explained that it was a phone. No problem. She also gave me a leaflet "prohibited & restricted items. A guide to what you can & cannot send in the mail"
    You are allowed to send "Electronic devices connected to Lithium batteries including mobile phones, digital camera etc".
    These can be sent any where in the UK and INTERNATIONALLY. So this means they can send a phone to us but Anpost will not let us send one to them. Why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've sent a phone to England before... they never asked what was inside, just the value of the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

I was sending by registered, so she asked.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Sending+Mail/Speed/Prohibited+items.htm
    Batteries including lithium-ion batteries (individually or as part of an electric device)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Rather oddly you can get Amazon to send you a phone, presumably through An Post for super saver delivery.
    However they may be distinguishing ad hoc packaging and commercial items in original packing.

• Advertisement

If you look at the list of prohibited items they must ask what's inside. It's a long list. But the point of the post is: why does Anpost refuse to send internationally but other countries can send here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Afaik it depends on the carrier that the various postage companies use. Some will allow batteries and liquids and some wont. If a carrier is plane only or ship only will determine what can be carried.

Its a relatively new requirement that only applies to packages and parcels.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Shelflife wrote: »
    Afaik it depends on the carrier that the various postage companies use. Some will allow batteries and liquids and some wont. If a carrier is plane only or ship only will determine what can be carried.

Its a relatively new requirement that only applies to packages and parcels.

This! Been in place a while tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

seanoge wrote: »
    If you look at the list of prohibited items they must ask what's inside. It's a long list. But the point of the post is: why does Anpost refuse to send internationally but other countries can send here?

This has been in place a while, and I know we've discussed it here in the past. Ultimately, An Post can impose their own rules. You could look into using an alternative courier etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

ardmacha wrote: »
    Rather oddly you can get Amazon to send you a phone, presumably through An Post for super saver delivery.
    However they may be distinguishing ad hoc packaging and commercial items in original packing.

As far as I know amazon ships everything to Ireland in a container using a ship. Then everything is posted with an post in the ROI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bottom line e probably is, if An Post don't ship them abroad then they don't. It's their prerogative. I'd just curious it with somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

This is an option, but if it's scanned or checked and it's different to the description it will be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Are you notified if an item is refused/destroyed? I sent an iPod to Italy 2 weeks ago which hasn't arrived yet! Sent by standard post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Royal mail have a surface service to uk and Europe. An post use airmail for all international mail.

Batteries are restricted items for airmail whether its anpost, royal mail or any other postal service.

Advertisement