Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

broadband too slow

• 23-02-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

my broadband is too slow to run netflix, xbmc etc, i read on line about a way to download the movies etc to the cloud, then it is easier to play them as they are already downloaded, i cannot find the bookmark, can somebody on here explain this to me, or is it falacy, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Think about it - if the movie is in the cloud, you are still going to have to download it locally (or at the very least, stream it).

So the speed of your broadband would still dictate whether you could watch it or not.

Have you considered the likes of Apple TV? With that, you can start the download and walk away from it. When the download is complete, you can then watch the movie. So even if your broadband is exceptionally slow, if you plan ahead you can watch your movies at a later time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

i do have an android tv box, its called a bluetimes mx5, it runs jellybean 4.2.2. i am not very tech minded, i do have a 16g pen drive, so could i download a movie or a show on to this, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

flutered wrote: »
    i do have an android tv box, its called a bluetimes mx5, it runs jellybean 4.2.2. i am not very tech minded, i do have a 16g pen drive, so could i download a movie or a show on to this, thanks for your help.

Technically, you can. But I wouldn't say it is for the non-techie.

Anyway, we don't want to stray into the realm of illegal downloads, now do we? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

flutered wrote: »
    my broadband is too slow to run netflix, xbmc etc, i read on line about a way to download the movies etc to the cloud, then it is easier to play them as they are already downloaded, i cannot find the bookmark, can somebody on here explain this to me, or is it falacy, thanks in advance.

In the same boat as you:(

Internet speed of .86 is as good as it gets

Have you decided what your going to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Have you actually tried netflix on your line yet?

Netflix recommends you having a 2mb line... but we are on 1mb and it runs fine with little or no buffering.

parents in law on 0.75mb line and its also fine for them.

Have three installations of xbmc around the house and all xbmc needs the internet fir is to download meta data and streaming the odd trailer for a movie in my case. No problems there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

tried it & impossible to watch anything :mad:

Different opinions why beyond the speed

e.g. packet loss, jitter & all sorts mentioned

not a techie & just gives me a headache overwhelmed with info:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

tried it & impossible to watch anything :mad:

Different opinions why beyond the speed

e.g. packet loss, jitter & all sorts mentioned

not a techie & just gives me a headache overwhelmed with info:confused:

Ah fair enough so... it read like you had not tried that yet.

Advertisement