Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Stock

Options
  • 23-02-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I've a Remmy 700 sps and the plastic stock is what it is. I'm considering getting something nicer. I prefer the appearance of wooden stocked guns so I find I'm drawn to laminate as a happy medium of looks and practicallity.

Problem is, I hate the look of GRS stocks, thumbhole stocks and all that kind of stuff... I'm after just a traditional, standard stock in laminate. Any suggestions on make / retailer etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I saw that thread alright... the black one is the same as what I have, and as nice as the wooden one is, I do want to go with laminate.

I just had a root on Boyds web site. Do you know if anyone sells them here and if so? Could it be considered an upgrade over what I've got?

The GRS stocks, i'm sure, are fine. Personally i'm not a fan. I believe they run around £550. That's close enough on €670. Quite a bit for a "pre-made" stock. By that i mean while it's made by hand and it's a fantastic piece of craftsmanship, but one is no different to the other.

You have a couple of other options if laminate is your thing. You can go the custom route and have one built. You are looking at the price of a GRS though. Around €700 upwards, depending on accessories/extras. Another option is to look around at some of the mass produced type stocks such as those from Klinsky. There are numerous choices from laminate to synthetic for most types of firearms. Then you have Boyds, Midway or places that stock all kinds and just order from there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks for the detailed reply Cass... two questions arising....

I like the look of Boyds. Not because they are cheaper, I just like them... are they not as "good"/ rigid / whatever, than they're much more expensive counterparts?

And; could any of them really be considered an "upgrade" unless I go about pillar bedding etc?

Robotack wrote: »
    I like the look of Boyds. Not because they are cheaper, I just like them... are they not as "good"/ rigid / whatever, than they're much more expensive counterparts?
    The likes of GRS, and other custom stocks are more expensive because they are made from scratch, with specific details to the customers dimensions and preferences. No two stocks (even of the same design) will be the exact same, and as it's done by someone who has spent a lot of time and money training and learning the craft you are paying for that expertise.

With the mass produce stocks like Boyds they are run off in their hundreds, with no attention to detail, no individual tailoring, and in some cases not even 100% finished.

Plus the custom ones usually come bedded or with it as an option. That's a €250+ extra on it's own.
    And; could any of them really be considered an "upgrade" unless I go about pillar bedding etc?
    They can as long as you believe it. You are not doing this for anyone else. It;s for you and your preferences. Having said that i would, whenever possible, have a rifle bedded. The difference is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

If your rifle has the standard barrel profile not the varmint one you can get the boyds prarie hunter stock which is a standard shape stock in laminate.
    I have a few boyds thumbhole stocks and the quality is very good.
    You can look at them at www.boydsgunstocks.com

This whole thing has opened a can of worms for me... My barrel is not free floating. It has the usual Remington 2x little lumps up front. If I upgrade my stock will my barrel be floating?

There's tons of material online about this topic. Some say it improves a 700... Others say they removed the little lumps and the accuracy went to pot. I heard that same story from one of our Irish custom rifle lads too. Baffled!

..... Yes Zeissman... my barrel is the standard, lightweight one... what's the difference between the classic & prarie hunter then?

From what I see the classic stock has a straight comb and the prarie hunter has a monte carlo style comb, besides that they look similar.
    I wouldnt worry about the forend lugs. Every rifle I know of shot better with the barrel free floated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Robotack,
    Your SPS stock is a throwaway. I have had a few for LA and SA 700's and if anyone would like one, they are more than welcome to them.

Give us an idea as to what you want to do: hunt, target, or whatever.

Also, give us an idea as to what kind of cash you have to throw down.

If you have the cash for a custom fit, check out Eddie Graf and Enda Walsh. They will make a custom fit stock that will rival anything out there.

Again, if you have the cash and want an off-the-shelf stock, buy a McMillan.

There are plenty of other good stocks out there. If, however, your constraint is cash, you are not going to do much better than the Boyds. Also, they ship to Ireland without much hassle or red tape.

I would recommend the Prairie Hunter or the Classic, in forest camo, for big bores and a thumbhole for the likes of a 10/22.

I have four Boyd's stocks and they are all fantastic: 700 LA CDL, 700 LA BDL, 700 SA SPS, and a 10/22.

I have used the stocks in the field to take game, without problem, past the 400ya mark. They have no problem holding precision out to 600ya, which is the most my local range goes to.

Personally, I like the forest green camo, which is much nicer in person. It looks darker than what Boyd's site shows. Have a look at the one I had here.

Concisely: if your budget is limited and you need reasonable precision, you will not do better than a Boyd's.

True, they tend to be a bit heavy, but if weight is matters that much, break out the cash.

Also, a bit of fitting is likely. Expect to have to sand a bit under the barrel.

Also, the stocks are works of beauty and are unique. I have had several stocks and have never had any problems with their finish in the least.

Get a Boyd's stock and then think about a Timney trigger!

It's a pure hunting rifle.
    Did you re varnish after doing your sanding?
    Can Boyds be successfully bedded?

Your right about the trigger. Total muck. Changed to a Jewel a good while ago and haven't looked back.

• Advertisement

It's a pure hunting rifle.
    Did you re varnish after doing your sanding?
    Can Boyds be successfully bedded?

A Boyd's stock sounds perfect for your application.

A hunter does not need the accuracy nor precision of other shooters, like the bencrest, ftr, or long distance lads.

The area that will require sanding is under the barrel. Since it is never seen, I could not be bothered refinishing it. The rest of the stock is as nice as the wood stock on my Sako. There is no need to refinish any part of the stock that will be visible.

I have never pillar bedded a stock, however, it is on the list of things to do. I do not see a problem in bedding. Have a look at this clip and this site for a bit of info.

I am not sure what the Boyd's stocks have inside. This site appears to state that there are two reinforcing rods that need to be drilled as well. However, I do not know.

If I were you, I would get the stock. Then, if/when you determine you need more precision, go from there. Do the bedding as a sort of labor of love.
    Your right about the trigger. Total muck. Changed to a Jewel a good while ago and haven't looked back.

Jewells are great, however, the Timney suits me just fine for hunting.

Also, the Remington triggers, despite their reputation can actually be great and some models are even coveted.

If you have patience, most 700 triggers can be dialed in to rival the Timneys. The problem is that in the States, triggers need to be factory shipped - "lawyer-proof."

Relighting this thread to ask if anyone here has actually dealt with Boyds. They have no email address on their site and when you call them it goes to answering machine??

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Purchased couple of stocks from them over the years. Fit was perfect. Finish very good. Had stocks in less than a week.

Bought a good few stocks from them for myself and my mates.
    The remington ones went straight on but some of the howa and ruger models needed a little bit of fitting.
    They are great quality for the price and postage usually takes about 1 week.

I see they are limiting rifle parts to a $100 max value for export... which means any custom option such as chequering etc puts it over the 100. Pity.

I see they are limiting rifle parts to a $100 max value for export... which means any custom option such as chequering etc puts it over the 100. Pity.

Kind of irks me that they charge extra for the checkering. Additionally, some models have the forest camo green at no extra cost, however, some charge more, solely for the color.

Give them a call and explain your situation to them. I am quite confident that they will help.

Otherwise, buy a checkering kit and try it yourself! Check out the Midway videos on youTube, it really does not look too bad.

Thanks for all the advice folks. I finally got around to ordering a Boyds Classic in Nutmeg Laminate. I await delivery... Now to the next step... Pillar bedding... Pillar & Glass Bedding... One or the other? Help Plz???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Thanks for all the advice folks. I finally got around to ordering a Boyds Classic in Nutmeg Laminate. I await delivery... Now to the next step... Pillar bedding... Pillar & Glass Bedding... One or the other? Help Plz???

Both, send it off to one of the rifle builders if your not comfortable doing it yourself.

... Now to the next step... One or the other? Help Plz???

Neither!

Maybe bed the stock, if you are bored. However, I would suggest that you get out to the range and shoot.

I was going to try a Bobby Hart Heritage Classic stock. However, by the time you get one in to Eire, you would probably be just as well off to head to a custom stock builder.

I like the Prairie Hunter from Boyd's, however, have a Classic as well. Both great stocks for what you pay.

Advertisement