Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encrypting onto an external HD

Options
  • 23-02-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Suggestions needed please. Sorry if this topic has been covered already, I can't find it if it has.

So I'm going to be out of the country for about six months soon. I'm not bringing my laptop with me, however I will be bringing a tablet and an external HD filled with TV shows, movies, books for my Kindle etc. However, it's a long time to be away and I will be getting pictures and videos of family stuff from home.

Basically what I'm wondering is how to securely encrypt these files. I'll be in a safe and secure environment but I'd still like to have these files secured on the HD. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, even paranoid, but if the HD is lost or stolen, I wouldn't be too comfortable (nor would my family or friends I'm sure) with the idea of a lot of personal stuff like that being in the hands of a complete stranger. Better safe than sorry.

So...how do I go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

Suggestions needed please. Sorry if this topic has been covered already, I can't find it if it has.

So I'm going to be out of the country for about six months soon. I'm not bringing my laptop with me, however I will be bringing a tablet and an external HD filled with TV shows, movies, books for my Kindle etc. However, it's a long time to be away and I will be getting pictures and videos of family stuff from home.

Basically what I'm wondering is how to securely encrypt these files. I'll be in a safe and secure environment but I'd still like to have these files secured on the HD. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, even paranoid, but if the HD is lost or stolen, I wouldn't be too comfortable (nor would my family or friends I'm sure) with the idea of a lot of personal stuff like that being in the hands of a complete stranger. Better safe than sorry.

So...how do I go about this?

Hi,
    Have a look at truecrypt. This is free open source software that offers possibility to create encrypted modules or encrypt the full drive.
    It does offer several encryption technologies.
    I use it and it has been reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

root69 wrote: »
    I use it and it has been reliable.

The version before 7.1a had problems when ejecting USB disks.
    I lost data in the past with TrueCrypt, but still use it.

So I'm not as quick to say "reliable", but as long as you have backups, it'll do the job if you pick a strong password.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

The version before 7.1a had problems when ejecting USB disks.
    I lost data in the past with TrueCrypt, but still use it.

So I'm not as quick to say "reliable", but as long as you have backups, it'll do the job if you pick a strong password.

Thanks for the heads up - any suggestions re an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'd probably still recommend TrueCrypt, but don't rely on it for critical data.

Also, depending on how paranoid you are, you can create a "hidden volume" in a TrueCrypt container.

Result: If you were forced to give the TrueCrypt password, then they wouldn't see the hidden volume within in. So you'd have plausible deniability that you gave the password and they can't prove there's a hidden volume with your real data in the hidden file.

But if you want to access your data, you'll need a TrueCrypt client running on the device you want to read your data/movies from.
    So that kind of limits it to laptops.
    Not sure if there's Truecrypt apps for Android tablets or the like.

Advertisement