Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break ins Maynooth

Options
  • 23-02-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

There have been 2 houses in Maynooth broken into tonight, one was a neighbour of mine, Gardai say it's probably the same group. The lock barrels were smashed in, and the alarms beaten off the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sasha144

Whereabouts was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

One Straffan Woods, one Castle Dawson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Is that because of that lock snapping thing? I got a locksmith to have a look at my mam's back door lock because I was suspicious it was the one that's really easy to break, and it was. I can't explain it well (I'm no locksmith!!) but there are youtube videos about this 'lock snapping' - I think it was BBC that did a documentary a year ago. It's frightening how breakable they are.

Yep, I was chatting to the locksmith, basically the barrell of the lock (where you stick the key in) sticks out, they put a vice grips on in, wriggle it left to right and snap it off in seconds, then they beat the alarm panel off the wall, and disconnected the wires in the main alarm box thingy, all within 10 seconds. The locksmith charged €75 for a new anti snap barrell, he said he was kept going with this stuff all day, everyday.

I wonder how something as alarming as this lock snapping hasn't made the front page of the metro - it'd be just their kind of story.
    Even when I mentioned in work about how easy thieves can get these locks broken, it seems people don't know of it.

Horrible to be broken into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tdunninx

Where the houses were empty? If you beat the alarm box off the wall does the system not work?

Basically they ripped the keypad off the wall, and disconnected 2 wires in the big box which look to have disabled the siren and the flashing light. I'm shocked at how easy it is to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ugh that is not good:(
    I hope in both instances the people were ok and nothing sentimental was taken.

Nothing worse then finding out someone has broken in:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Our house was broken into by snapping a lock barrel a few years ago, since then we've upgraded all locks to the more secure type. Seems very common way to break in. Our alarm went off but nobody seemed too bothered. Thankfully nothing was taken, and other than the cost of the new lock barrels, we were no worse off.

Just in case there's anyone wondering what type of locks these might look like, the classic example is the main door lock where you have a actual handle on it - and in order to lock it you hoist up the handle, turn the key. Often seen on PVC type doors. That said - that is just the one I know of..... no harm in having a locksmith have a quick look to see that the door(s) on your house/apt are good ones. A locksmith said to me that having good locks is way more important than an alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Our alarm went off but nobody seemed too bothered.

This is what usually happens...how many of us run to investigate when they hear a house or car alarm?

The problem really is that all you can do is your best to deter any opportunistic burglar. If somone decides to break in as they are targetting something in particular, there is not a lot you can do.

You've just got to be a good neighbour, it works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Staplor wrote: »
    You've just got to be a good neighbour, it works both ways.

the problem is that most of the road can be out and about during the day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Riskymove wrote: »
    the problem is that most of the road can be out and about during the day!!

Exactly, plus we're all so used to alarms going off that they have become background noise. You can be hearing an alarm go off for ages before you actually notice it going off!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Exactly, plus we're all so used to alarms going off that they have become background noise. You can be hearing an alarm go off for ages before you actually notice it going off!

I lived in Maynooth for 10 years (and still work there). The reason I moved was the constant house alarms drove me insane. 24 hours a day, all I could hear were the bloody house alarms.

I love the peace and quiet where I live now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Alarms drive us mad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

coffeepls wrote: »
    Just in case there's anyone wondering what type of locks these might look like, the classic example is the main door lock where you have a actual handle on it - and in order to lock it you hoist up the handle, turn the key. Often seen on PVC type doors. That said - that is just the one I know of..... no harm in having a locksmith have a quick look to see that the door(s) on your house/apt are good ones. A locksmith said to me that having good locks is way more important than an alarm.

What do the "good" locks look like then? My front door lock is like the above and the barrel sticks out a couple of millimeters maybe. Are good locks completely flush with or contained within the handle plate?

MickH503 wrote: »
    What do the "good" locks look like then? My front door lock is like the above and the barrel sticks out a couple of millimeters maybe. Are good locks completely flush with or contained within the handle plate?

I don't know a way of telling them apart - to me, it's all to do with the part of the lock you can't see - the bit in the actual door (the barrel). I guess if you google it you'll find something, it's all to do with the barrel being either the standard type (will easily snap, and a burgler can be through your door in less than a minute) or the newer type (will snap, but the door remains locked and the lock is still intact).

The best thing in all honesty, is to give a locksmith a ring. Peace of mind is worth it. Google anti-snap locks or anti snap cylinders - or as I mentioned before, there are videos on youtube (BBC did a documentary once) about this 'lock snapping'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

MickH503 wrote: »

No real way to tell them apart. The barrel still sticks out. coffeepls' post is a good summary. Call a locksmith and they will know what you are looking for straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

There's a locksmith in Kilcock, Acorn Locksmiths, Robbie did my mum's locks a couple of years back, I'll find out what it cost her

• Advertisement

The lad my neighbour called out on Sunday after 9pm was €75 for an anti snap barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not hugely difficult to fit yourself and cost about 25-30 a pop. Keep meaning to do mine even if I do have practically nothing of value in the house (7 year old car that needs a major service and a four year old high-end-when-new-but-not-now laptop are about it)

I have nothing worth stealing either but hate the idea of anyone getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hey Guys,

As were moving to Maynooth I've been following the thread. We are living in rural Laois have a modern house and have the anti snap barrels fitted to the doors. We were away on holidays last year and the house was broken into. They got in by using a crow bar on the window and pulled all the locking pins out of the frame through sheer force ( probably took less than 1 min). Window guy said it doesn't matter what you put into your house. If they want in they'll get in. We have a dog too and she was away with the grandparents at the time. But had she been there I would seriously doubt that the house would have been done. I guess what I'm saying by all means fit the anti snap locks but unless you have roller shutters on your house that are anchored in several points your house is easily breakinable ( if that is a word). All you can do is hope your a lucky one and it never gets done. If it does get done just remember its only stuff and once everyone (family) is safe and sound it really is irrelevant, especially with kids, you have to make as little out of it as possible.

Not trying to put a downer on everyone.

Glass can be put in quickest of everything - the issue with barrel snapping is that its extremely quiet and quick and can be done to an occupied house or in a built up area without disturbing anyone. Glass smashing and crowbars are neither.

We Live in an estate and no one heard a thing either. Best to have a dog in the house IMO. They pick up on everything.

ElKavo wrote: »
    We Live in an estate and no one heard a thing either. Best to have a dog in the house IMO. They pick up on everything.

Was anyone there? Daytime in an estate in far out commuter belt - I assume from "rural Laois" - would generally mean absolutely nobody around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I work with Somebody who had her house broken into a few weeks ago (in Newbridge). They brought tools with them (shovels'n'stuff) and got in through a window at the back of the house. There were 2 dogs in the kitchen (where they broke in) including an Alsatian, but they still managed to rob the place easily enough.

There was no one in my house and no one in the neighbors house on one side and that was done too. They got in the patio doors there.

I have had a house broken into it while myself an ex and her parents were staying in the house too, in this case they took the glass out of the frame didn't break a thing slid in took what they wanted (keys to my car :mad::mad:) and left.

I think your missing my point. If they want in, there getting in if your there or not it really is irrelevant. If you want an early warning get a dog or live in your house with the windows/ doors alarmed at all times. Burglars are scum who don't care about you or your family they just want your stuff because they somehow feel that its OK for them to take what ever they see fit.

• Advertisement

I work with Somebody who had her house broken into a few weeks ago (in Newbridge). They brought tools with them (shovels'n'stuff) and got in through a window at the back of the house. There were 2 dogs in the kitchen (where they broke in) including an Alsatian, but they still managed to rob the place easily enough.

Yep they don't care If you have a dog / cat / lizard / alarm. Had your friend have been in the house the dogs reaction may have alerted them to it, that is all I'm saying. No one pays attention to alarms. Monitored alarms don't respond quick enough and the Guards are over stretched at the best of times. Even if burglars are picked up they are processed go through court and usually don't even serve any time.

Advertisement