Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break ins Maynooth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ElKavo wrote: »
    I think your missing my point. If they want in, there getting in if your there or not it really is irrelevant. If you want an early warning get a dog or live in your house with the windows/ doors alarmed at all times. Burglars are scum who don't care about you or your family they just want your stuff because they somehow feel that its OK for them to take what ever they see fit.

I'm not missing your point - I'm just saying that if we take your attitude we may as well not lock anything.

If you have glazed openings, people who are willing to make a noise will get in, end of story. If you want to stop people getting in without making a commotion, you fix the primary issues - and two of those happen to be inappropriate locks and windows where the slips retaining the glass are on the outside (or which use putty).

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm not missing your point - I'm just saying that if we take your attitude we may as well not lock anything.

If you have glazed openings, people who are willing to make a noise will get in, end of story. If you want to stop people getting in without making a commotion, you fix the primary issues - and two of those happen to be inappropriate locks and windows where the slips retaining the glass are on the outside (or which use putty).

No my attitude isn't don't lock anything. That would be a ridiculous attitude to have. Even if you get your glazing sorted at a reasonable price they could still use a lock pick https://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/tux1.htm. there cheap and silent and they could just walk through your front door. What I'm trying to say is stuff is stuff and ultimately not important. IMO the best warning system is a dog but even if your house is broken into you have to remember that its just stuff and as long as no one (family) is hurt then that is life and there is always some knacker who will try and take your stuff.

Lock picking is distinctly unquick and far from easy on modern barrels.

A dog is no deterrent, poor warning and an ongoing cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Lock picking is distinctly unquick and far from easy on modern barrels.

Fitting new super secure windows to your house is a huge cost also and not a deterrent either I'm afraid.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one so. :cool:

Plus dogs are cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I get all your points above, your home can't be fort knox, and there is no stopping a burglar that wants to break in. But the idea is to have the best deterrent without barricading yourself in.

I want to make life as difficult as possible for a burglar, and the easiest point of access that causes very little disturbance is to 'lock snap'. I have nothing worth stealing (nobody would bother taking my car keys either....old micra *cough*). I can't have a hound of the baskervilles, it's not a possible answer for me.

The bottom line is that the locks that are not 'anti snap' are just ridiculous. You may as well not use the key so they don't damage the rest of the door on their way in...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Heard someone say a few years back that a lock is a good way of keeping the honest thieves out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Yes, snapping lock cylinders is very easy. Our neighbours got broken into that way while they slept upstairs and got cleaned out of all their electronic stuff like laptop, TV etc.

Also, if you have PVC windows check if they are beaded on the outside, they are often easy to pry off and take out the window glass unit.

You cannot turn your home into fort know but the above two ways are the most common ways to break in and for me I want to make sure it is nearly impossible to break-in while I sleep. If someone decides to smash a window to get in while no one is home then there isn't much I can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

If anyone is interested I got a couple of new more secure locks from PLS Locksmiths in Celbridge and fitted them in 5 mins.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I beg to differ.My last dog caught a little scumbag trying to get in the back door.I let the dog at him and the dog came back in with the leg of a pair of tracksuit bottoms in his mouth :)

Now I have an 8 stone one of these

http://www.geminorum.com/newfoundland-dog_family_portrait.mvc?Virtuose_+19774

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That dog is adorable and cute and awww.
    I mean I definately would stay clear of him;))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That dog is adorable and cute and awww.
    I mean I definately would stay clear of him;))

That's my new baby!!!!Well she's a year now.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I beg to differ.My last dog caught a little scumbag trying to get in the back door.I let the dog at him and the dog came back in with the leg of a pair of tracksuit bottoms in his mouth :)

Now I have an 8 stone one of these

http://www.geminorum.com/newfoundland-dog_family_portrait.mvc?Virtuose_+19774

That story doesn't hold together properly

The dog "caught" someone and yet you had to "let" them at them?

Did you catch them or did the dog?

Absolutely nothing is going to convince me that a large dog is a worthwhile investment of time and money as a security device having seen how easily even fairly viscous breeds (that wouldn't be pet-suitable) can be subdued.

If you're a dog lover all well and good, but trying to convince people they're fantastic security systems and (not you) putting down suggestions of actual, cheap, methods of increasing security just to push a dog as an option really makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

the phrase "the dog caught someone doing x" doesn't have to mean physically caught hold of someone but simply that it was alerted to that happening

he could have opened the door or let go of the dog etc to actually attack

That story doesn't hold together properly

Did you catch them or did the dog?

I heard a noise at the back door and saw a little scumbag trying to get in.I opened the door.The dog ran at them and caught him at the end of the garden.I left the dog to it.
    Absolutely nothing is going to convince me that a large dog is a worthwhile investment of time and money as a security device having seen how easily even fairly viscous breeds (that wouldn't be pet-suitable) can be subdued.

Not if a dog is trained correctly.My dog wont even take food off anyone it doesnt know.Thats how they get around dogs-with the temptation of food.You train a dog not to take food off a stranger and it wont get subdued.
    If you're a dog lover all well and good, but trying to convince people they're fantastic security systems and (not you) putting down suggestions of actual, cheap, methods of increasing security just to push a dog as an option really makes no sense.

But youre obviously not a dog lover as youve already made clear.A well trained dog is a better security device than any alarm or lock IMHO.

They were leaving dog or no dog, quite clearly, due to you and not the dog. Not a warning or a deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

A cousin worked as a Garda in Finglas. They raided a house and retrieved a lot of stolen goods from burglaries. As part of the haul they found a folder with full address listing of a number of estates and some of them had red Xs beside the address. When they investigated what the Xs were for it was to note which houses had dogs so the burglars could avoid them. Having a dog is a deterrent.

They were leaving dog or no dog, quite clearly, due to you and not the dog. Not a warning or a deterrent.

No he wasn't.He didn't run when the light came on,didn't budge when I let a roar out the window.He only took off when I let the dog out the other side door.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    No he wasn't.He didn't run when the light came on,didn't budge when I let a roar out the window.He only took off when I let the dog out the other side door.

I find that extremely, extremely hard to believe. In particular that someone would remaining standing at a door they were trying to gain access to through the entire list of things you've said happened. I have a suspicion you've added positive reinforcements to your recollection of this, really.

True story whether you choose to believe it or not.

The bloke was a junkie strung out to bits.

BTW this wasn't in Maynooth for anyone worrying about the area.Just making the point that in my opinion a dog can be as good a deterrent as any alarm or lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Well - great for all of you guys who can have a dog - but for the rest of us, it's still best to make sure you have decent locks on the doors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement