Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

circus vegas?

Options
  • 23-02-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Anyone been to the circus? Hoping to go during the week and wondering if its worth the money. Also would it be suitable for a two year old? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Tubsand wrote: »
    Anyone been to the circus? Hoping to go during the week and wondering if its worth the money. Also would it be suitable for a two year old? Thanks.

Yes, I went last Wednesday evening (the opening night) and brought the kids (8 year old and 2 year old). If you are going to the evening show then really don't bother bringing the 2 year old, he/she will be bored and exhausted by the time you get out of there.

Also, the noise from the finale was deafening and will scare the bejesus out of a young child. Two stunt motorbikes doing jumps and flips, actually they were very good, probably the best part of the entire show but very very loud bikes.

Our experience:
    The show was due to start at 19:30 but was delayed due to traffic congestion from the cars of earlier show coming out. Now this could have just been confined to the opening day as I think their earlier show was on a bit later that day only so there was always going to be problems.

The acts: Nothing too great really, lots of fillers with dancers and stuff that was clearly not entertaining anyone. I've seen them a few years ago and some of the acts were the same last week (trampoline act, the 'ghost busters' act) but there were some new acts too. They had a strong man 'Hercules' (quelle surprise) and this really was like a throwback to the days of travelling freak shows...but the younger kids liked it (especially the boys). Your 2 year old will not get this at all.

The interval (also known as THE HARD SELL): Now if you haven't been to a circus since your own childhood led me tell you the interval has turned into a farce. Now I accept the interval is used to generate revenue for the circus but wow, things have been ramped up, at this interval there were:

1. Pony rides
    2. Face painting
    3. Raffle tickets (only one prize on offer but they display many prizes, they slyly don't tell you there will be only 1 winner and he/she must pick one item from the display)
    4. The usual selling of popcorn (€5 per box!), ice-cream etc.

Now the interval will take as long as it takes for all the parents who clearly can't say 'no' to their lil darlings to have their kids sit on the pony and walk around the ring once. So that meant the interval took about 40 minutes...yes, 40 minutes of enduring high-octane pester power from my kids on why they can't have all the things on offer. I'm not a kill-joy, just a parent who needs to save his money for things like healthcare for his kids :rolleyes:

We didn't get out of there until 10:15, given that it started 20 minutes late you are still talking a late night for a 2 year old.

I bet you're sorry for asking now :D Thanks for allowing me to vent. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm was thinking of going there ourselves, bit debatable now thanks for all the info.

Milly33 wrote: »
    mmm was thinking of going there ourselves, bit debatable now thanks for all the info.

it might be less busy this week as the mid-term break is over. I know the night we went it was a sell-out and the queues at the box office were long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I bet you're sorry for asking now :D Thanks for allowing me to vent. ;)

How much for the pictures nowsadays. Last time I went it was 50p [pence] for a really crappy Polaroid.

Otherwise your description is eeerilly similar all round ~ except for all the animals naturally.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    How much for the pictures nowsadays. Last time I went it was 50p [pence] for a really crappy Polaroid.

Otherwise your description is eeerilly similar all round ~ except for all the animals naturally.

they let the parents handle the picture taking these days with their own camera phones but obviously you have to pay for a pony ride, I've no idea how much it was for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Tubsand

Thanks for that. Tbh I was thinking the noise would be deafening alright for the 2 yr old. And the older child I was bringing was a niece who doesn't understand the word no. So I think for my wallet and sanity ill leave this one off. Thanks again.

Advertisement