Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spinga

You paid for the goods by a means which tesco accept.
    They were your goods , you had your reciept.
    I do not think they can accuse you of anything.
    btw taking off her badge is a disgrace , if she believed she was right ,why would she do this...get your goods back you paid for them they are yours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If they were 'recalled' they wouldn't scan at all, so that statement was crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Bepolite wrote: »
    You've it exactly right but the wrong way round. The OP was told that the pricing needed to be checked and rang them through anyway. As for theft, it's a complicated mens rea requirement probably made out by neither party in this case but again there is an argument that what the OP has done is theft.

As for the self service check outs, the price is indicated on the goods on the shelf, if this does not match the scanning price then the OP is under an obligation to inform the store and wait for a reply. It's a different matter if they didn't notice but the OP has gone looking for this stuff and was well aware of the situation.

I think you have it wrong be polite, The OP was told that the sales assistant thought they were being recalled, not that there was a pricing issue. She scanned and paid for goods in the manner specified by and acceptable to by Tesco.

How can you suggest that its theft by the Op ? She scanned the products and paid for them, its not her job to make sure that the scanned price is the same as the SEL, whos to say that it wasnt the same?

I agree that the Op may well be pushing the matter but its a problem of Tescos own making.

Agree that accusing the ass manager of theft may be a step too far but it was very badly handled and the fact that she removed her name badge would suggest that she knew she was on thin ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I don't understand why Tesco are changing the prices of stock to 1 cent, but leaving the reduced items on the shelves.

It's just asking for trouble, and their staff don't seem to know how to deal with the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

Call the guards, the manager stole your property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I would not have left the store without the property which you legally own. Get yourself back down there and speak to the most senior person available. You have been publicly embarassed and accused of theft/scamming apart from your property being witheld. You had every right to make a scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Legally own my ass. They knew fine well what they were up to and pushed the items through deliberately.

Legally own my ass. They knew fine well what they were up to and pushed the items through deliberately.

So if you pay the asking price of a product, do you not own the product?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Shelflife wrote: »

Not if you bought it deliberately, it seems. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »

That's not what happened here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

dudara wrote: »
    ... It sounds as if you went in there with some pre-information. ...
    It sounds like that to you because the OP stated s/he went into to the shop with a copy of a Tesco email about 1c items.
    ... By going to the self-checkout, it seems as if you intended to circumvent the regular checkout. ...
    What do you mean by that remark? Are you trying to imply some wrong-doing on the part of the OP for using a self-checkout. Tescos supply all the checkouts and I don't remember seeing a sign directing wrong-doers to the self-checkout queue on my last visit.
    ... . Can you share any more information?
    It seems like a fairly comprehensive post to me. What else do you need to know? PPSN? Drivers-licence number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

There's a lot of barrack room lawyering going on in here. It's fine if you guys want to do that I'm happy to oblige, it's a hobby at this stage but it's not as simple as you make out. You've all sorts off issues with invitation to treat, offer and acceptance straight off the bat. After this we've all sorts of issues with mistake, consensus ad idem and various other issues.

As for theft - neither party makes out the mens rea for theft but if you want to go pushing definitions the OP situation is as tenuous as the employees. Have a read of the Criminal Law (Theft and Fraud Offences Act) if you want further clarification.

UncleChael wrote: »
    Call the guards, the manager stole your property.
    and they may also be guilty of defamation if other shoppers observed the incident, with security guards attending to take your paid-for goods from you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OP was alerted to a problem and pushed the sale through regardless. She knew exactly what she was trying to pull.

mathepac wrote: »
    What do you mean by that remark? Are you trying to imply some wrong-doing on the part of the OP for using a self-checkout.
    Clearly. Its just plain thieving.
    and they may also be guilty of defamation if other shoppers observed the incident, with security guards attending to take your paid-for goods from you OP.

No, they will not be guilty of defamation. :rolleyes:

OP paid the asking price of the products, the fact that they have a self service operating system leaves them open to pricing error losses.

while I agree the Op may be pushing it, its Tesco who are in the wrong here.

How do you figure that? They approached and spoke to the OP who carried on regardless.

I can't agree with that. An assistant told them there was a issue that needed to be checked and went to get guidance, only for the OP to go ahead regardless.

• Advertisement

OP was alerted to a problem and pushed the sale through regardless. She knew exactly what she was trying to pull.
    No. OP states s/he was alerted to a possible problem, a possible recall, before the unidentifiable staff-member went off to consult with a manager. Get your facts right.

No. OP states s/he was alerted to a possible problem, a possible recall, before the unidentifiable staff-member went off to consult with a manager. Get your facts right.

I'd like to hear the real conversation and not just the OPs version to be honest.

I wonder what that possible problem could have been. How ever would the OP be expected to know what it was. Rolleyes x3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I wonder would everyone be as comfortable with this incident if the seller were a small local business rather than the vast, faceless, and often disliked Tesco corporation. Problem is, if we're going say that it's legally okay to knowingly take advantage of an obvious error such as this, then it also applies to smaller sellers who could actually be ruined by such an error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Face it the op chanced her arm to because she read something on line and it blew up in her face

I'd like to hear the real conversation and not just the OPs version to be honest.
    The usual cop out comment. We only have one side of the conversation because Tescos or their staff although completely free to comment on the incident, choose not to for some strange reason.

Maybe that reason is the worrying number of Tesco apologists on-thread here.

And the OP could have not tried to pull a fast one. If the same scenario happened on a normal till and the OP chucked their cash in the till drawer and ran out the door would it be ok?

We see these threads lot - item is priced incorrectly etc and people try to buy them - its just theft from people with no morals that is irksome and nothing to do with being tesco apologists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The usual cop out comment. We only have one side of the conversation because Tescos or their staff although completely free to comment on the incident, choose not to for some strange reason.

I seriously doubt Tesco staff are free to speak on this matter. Most companies have policies limiting that right to very specific personnel.

Yeah we're all shills. Don't need to read those awkward arguments if we're all shills, do you?

• Advertisement

Let's be perfectly clear here, I am not defending Tesco - I don't even shop there. It's the consumer issue that is being discussed. The fact that this happened in Tesco is quite irrelevant to the issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement