Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco issue

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

sandin wrote: »
    The deception is KNOWING that the product is mis-priced and taking advantage of the error for your own gain.

The OP purchased 6 of the same item and has stated that they knew it was mis priced - therefore the OP has admitted to the offence.

Where a single item is in a basket and scans at 1c without the shopper knowing or willingly taking advantage of an error, no offence would have taken place.

As with any situation, it is the intention of the perpetrator that is the important aspect and in this case, the OP intentionally tried to take advantage of an error. There was no 1c marked on the shelf label nor on the product. - In those scenarios it is totally different.

Have you read the feedback from Tesco? They have agreed that they allow these items to be bought for 1c if they get to the till. It's not an error, Tesco intentionally price them at 1c and the staff are supposed to remove them from the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Have you read the feedback from Tesco? They have agreed that they allow these items to be bought for 1c if they get to the till. It's not an error, Tesco intentionally price them at 1c and the staff are supposed to remove them from the shelf.

They don't "intentionally" price them at 1c. A system error has priced some items at 1c and Tesco seem to have sent a memo to staff to check all prices and remove the 1c items as they are priced incorrectly.

Therefore even using tesco's feedback, this is an error and therefore by taking advantage of the error you are committing an offence.

I'm not saying tesco would pursue anyone, but no court would find in favour of the OP or anyone else who is refused the sale even after the sale has gone through as they would be asking the court to say that their own illegal actions were correct!

They don't "intentionally" price them at 1c. A system error has priced some items at 1c and Tesco seem to have sent a memo to staff to check all prices and remove the 1c items as they are priced incorrectly.

Therefore even using tesco's feedback, this is an error and therefore by taking advantage of the error you are committing an offence.

I'm not saying tesco would pursue anyone, but no court would find in favour of the OP or anyone else who is refused the sale even after the sale has gone through as they would be asking the court to say that their own illegal actions were correct!

Why would they have staff check everything and remove them from the shelves? That costs a hell of a lot more than just revising the price on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

foggy_lad wrote: »
    She could have closed the till or prevented any transaction being completed on it at the touch of a button!

And shutdown all of the other self-service tills as well? OP should not have proceeded to scan, pay and try and scarper. The attendant had no choice but to leave the OP on their own, to their own devices.

I do believe Tesco were in the right here, their apology is just them saving face for the sake of the terrible publicity.

Very interesting topic though and I think everyone can agree they need to clarify their procedures when something like this occurs.

I honestly can't see what else could have been done though, short of supplying all checkout supervisors with walkie talkies (maybe they have them already I'm not sure), and have her shut down the till and wait until the manager arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Such a pity that Tesco always try to avoid bad publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Such a pity that Tesco always try to avoid bad publicity.

Shouldn't Tesco be operating their stores more efficiently and have a unified customer service policy that is the same at both head office and store level to avoid bad publicity in the first place?

At the beginning of the year many items were drastically reduced to clear them from the shelves. Items such as TVs were reduced to less than half price (We got a Sony Bravia TV reduced from €349 to €150) and huge reductions on other electrical items and things like games (most reduced from €25-€60 down to €1-€5). In all but very few exceptions, these items had the original price on the shelf. Tbh, I think the sales offers were coming so quick and fast that staff probably didn't have enough time to keep up with them and update their shelves. Most people following that bargains thread gratefully took advantage of these offers. When these items were then reduced to Ic because they were being dumped is where the confusion arose. Were they still for sale for the public? What was the policy of Tesco in relation to this? Many people, myself included, emailed customer service to ask for clarification. We were all told, in the main, that while there was no legal obligation to sell these items, the stores were encouraged to do so. Many took this, myself included, that Tesco had no problem with selling these items to customers at that price.

The problems that arose were when stores seemed to have a different policy in place to what head office was saying. I didn't try and pay through self service - I went to a manned till and showed them the correspondence that I had with head office in relation to the 1 cent items. I was surrounded by a lot of staff confronting me in front of other customers in relation to it and frankly it was very embarrassing. I put up the rest of my correspondence in relation to it in the other thread so I'm not going to go over it all again but I'll be honest I haven't been back in my local Tesco since.

If I had received correspondence from head office that those items were not to be sold to customers then I would have happily accepted that and saved myself a huge amount of embarrassment. I'll happily admit I was trying to take advantage of the 1 cent items but only after receiving what I thought was clarification from head office that it was okay to do this and I went through a manned till because I felt I had nothing to hide. If they had a unified policy where customer service and the stores said these items were no longer for sale or somehow made the barcodes for these items invalid so they were no longer able to be scanned, I don't think anyone would be anyone having an issue now and a lot of this confusion would not exist.

Shouldn't Tesco be operating their stores more efficiently and have a unified customer service policy that is the same at both head office and store policy to avoid bad publicity in the first place?

Sure, no arguments there. People shouldn't rob though.

Sure, no arguments there. People shouldn't rob though.

At what point did I try to rob?

When I bought the tv for less than half price?
    When I bought a €60 game for €5?
    When I sought clarification on their store policy in relation to 1 cent items?
    When I went to a manned till to pay for said item?

At what point did I try to rob?

When I bought the tv for less than half price?
    When I bought a €60 game for €5?
    When I sought clarification on their store policy in relation to 1 cent items?
    When I went to a manned till to pay for said item?

I didn't read the rest of your post and I was referring to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

The behaviour of the OP is very poor here. This kind of crap is bad for everyone in the long term. Why can't we all treat each other with fairness and respect, that way we would receive it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good result and entertaining thread. Win win. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Yet other people got different responses from Tesco? I wouldn't say it's definitive one way or t'other
    Bepolite wrote: »
    What makes you think that? Why do you assume that agent of the company is is correct and the others are not?
    The deception is KNOWING that the product is mis-priced and taking advantage of the error for your own gain.

The OP purchased 6 of the same item and has stated that they knew it was mis priced - therefore the OP has admitted to the offence.

Where a single item is in a basket and scans at 1c without the shopper knowing or willingly taking advantage of an error, no offence would have taken place.

As with any situation, it is the intention of the perpetrator that is the important aspect and in this case, the OP intentionally tried to take advantage of an error. There was no 1c marked on the shelf label nor on the product. - In those scenarios it is totally different.
    Fakman87 wrote: »
    The behaviour of the OP is very poor here. This kind of crap is bad for everyone in the long term. Why can't we all treat each other with fairness and respect, that way we would receive it as well.

Suggested steps to take when in very deep hole
    • Stop digging
    • Discard digging implement (shovel or JCB)
    • Call for assistance to exit hole
    • Enter the sunlight and join the rest of humanity
    • Smell the flowers, savour the chocolates, read the letter from Tescos with OP
    • Be magnanimous in defeat - it's only an internet debate for us. It was an upsetting real life situation for the OP and she has moved on - why can't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I have often bought stuff in Tesco which was cheaper at the till than marked/displayed unlike the OP I don't use the self service checkouts (plus the hardware department in our Tesco here is not self service) they just charge me the price it scans for. You ask them about it and they say its alright and just charge you what it scans for. I remember one time I bought a screwdriver set that should have cost €3.50 for 10c. Staff in Tesco store here are the nicest staff out of all the Tesco stores I have shopped in the UK and Ireland. Pity the store is so small and stuck in the 1970s though they did have plans to build an extra store outside the town but the little greedy traders in the town objected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

mathepac Please leave the moderating to the moderators.

dudara

Yet other people got different responses from Tesco? I wouldn't say it's definitive one way or t'other
    mathepac wrote: »
    Suggested steps to take when in very deep hole
    • Stop digging
    • Discard digging implement (shovel or JCB)
    • Call for assistance to exit hole
    • Enter the sunlight and join the rest of humanity
    • Smell the flowers, savour the chocolates, read the letter from Tescos with OP
    • Be magnanimous in defeat - it's only an internet debate for us. It was an upsetting real life situation for the OP and she has moved on - why can't you?

My comment was made prior to the OP getting word from Tesco. It is definitive now, as we have Tesco's response. I have already said it's Tesco's problem that different staff members are advising the public differently. Please explain how you consider this digging, being defeated, etc.

Posters - please don't drag this thread off-topic. Stick to discussing the issue.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP you were very good to allow tesco just apologise, they must have reviewed the whole episode and possibly sought legal advice and thought that it could cost them very dear for a handful of 1cent scooters that were going in the bin anyway.

I just re-read the op and you say that this manager even got security staff involved in full glare of the store, I would not have settled for a bottle of plonk and a bunch of yesterdays flowers.

OP you were very good to allow tesco just apologise, they must have reviewed the whole episode and possibly sought legal advice and thought that it could cost them very dear for a handful of 1cent scooters that were going in the bin anyway.

I disagree, I'd say they didn't want the adverse publicity or hassle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Delighted the OP got sorted. As i said earlier it was Theft for the item to be taken off you when you have paid for it and had a receipt for it. I have family that work in Tesco and one does the stock at the end of the night. The 1 cent items are placed on the shelf on purpose to get rid of any stock they do no longer need and have no space in their stores for. Boots do a similar thing when items come within a month of its sell by/best before date. Its mainly an english solution to the problem of throwing a good item away from what I have been told.

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    The 1 cent items are placed on the shelf on purpose to get rid of any stock they do no longer need and have no space in their stores for. Boots do a similar thing when items come within a month of its sell by/best before date. Its mainly an english solution to the problem of throwing a good item away from what I have been told.

That doesn't make sense. If they are purposely put on the shelf to sell them off then why are they refusing to sell them when you bring them to the till?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I disagree, I'd say they didn't want the adverse publicity or hassle.
    If their object was to avoid the bad publicity about the way they treated the OP, they've failed miserably.

@pauline01 you have my admiration for behaving with dignity and maturity despite your appalling treatment.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Delighted the OP got sorted. As i said earlier it was Theft for the item to be taken off you when you have paid for it and had a receipt for it. I have family that work in Tesco and one does the stock at the end of the night. The 1 cent items are placed on the shelf on purpose to get rid of any stock they do no longer need and have no space in their stores for. Boots do a similar thing when items come within a month of its sell by/best before date. Its mainly an english solution to the problem of throwing a good item away from what I have been told.

Funny, tesco employees stated these items are given to charity. Whether they are given to charity or to be flogged off cheaply is irrelevant though and it was certainly not theft on Tescos behalf. The OP ignored staff and finished her transaction just so she could grandstand and claim she owned the items. Its pretty disgusting behaviour from both the OP and the rude tesco employee.
    mathepac wrote: »
    If their object was to avoid the bad publicity about the way the treated the OP, they've failed miserably.

@pauline01 you have my admiration for behaving with dignity and maturity despite your appalling treatment.

Perhaps, personally i think both parties acted poorly.

+1 Ill-informed, ill-suited to dealing empathetically with customers, ill-trained and ill-mannered based on the events OP describes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah anything not sold and perfect is given to charity, anything opened is wasted at 1c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yeah anything not sold and perfect is given to charity, anything opened is wasted at 1c.
    For tesco staff I'd say Charity begins at home!

For tesco staff I'd say Charity begins at home!

Ah here :p There's no need for that.

@foggy_ladYou are an experienced enough poster not to make accusations like that.

This has been an interesting thread, but given that the OP has had resolution from Tesco, I am going to close the thread so as to stop this going around in circles.

If anyone has a compelling reason to reopen the thread, please PM me.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement