Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw recommendation

• 24-02-2014 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Well lads, I am converting a five acre approx. twenty year old Spruce plantation to mixed species continuous cover. For the last few years I've been slowly killing a homeowner level Jonserad. I'm looking to upgrade now to a pro Husqvarna. Which do you think is more suitable, the 550 xp with 15 inch bar or 560 xp with 18 inch bar. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated especially anyone who has used both. The saw will be mainly but not exclusively used on this plantation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

hiromoto wrote: »
    Well lads, I am converting a five acre approx. twenty year old Spruce plantation to mixed species continuous cover. For the last few years I've been slowly killing a homeowner level Jonserad. I'm looking to upgrade now to a pro Husqvarna. Which do you think is more suitable, the 550 xp with 15 inch bar or 560 xp with 18 inch bar. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated especially anyone who has used both. The saw will be mainly but not exclusively used on this plantation.

Stihl 362?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hiromoto

Haven't really considered Stihl. For some reason I'm fixated on Husqvarna.

Lots of bad reviews out there on husky now.

I'll be buying a 362 soon, had previously considered husky but not now

Hmmmm...Lots of good ones too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 podgecase

Either 550 or 560 will do the job your looking to do but I'd suggest the 560xp less than €100 in the difference of the two well worth the extra few €€€. Can get the 560 with the 15" also. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

If you get an MS362, make sure to get the M-Tronic one. It is a far better saw. Assuming you are comfortable with the MTronic. Husky had some teething problems. If you buy new, you will be beyond those issues. The Husky 560 weighs noticeably less than the ms362 does(12lbs 10 ounces on my scale VS 13lbs 3 ounces for the MS362 on the same scale. Have a feel of them both, as well as the 550, and see what ya like. I have a ported MS361 and just can not warm up to the 362 yet. In spruce that size, that 550 should be able to pull a 16" bar with 325 chain easily. And if you keep it sharp, it will do with an 18" bar if you are not too ham-fisted with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Hmmmm...Lots of good ones too though.

What diameter trees will you be cutting as alot of people have saws that are too big for the jobs they are doing.

WikiHow wrote: »
    What diameter trees will you be cutting as alot of people have saws that are too big for the jobs they are doing.

Everything from a few inches up to about 15 or 16 inches, very mixed bunch. I'm set on husky I think, just need to decide between 550 and 560. The bar length is not so much an issue I suppose as I can change easily. I have quite a bit of experience but I'm still an amature how would this effect your advice on bar length?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Big difference in power between the two saws.
    Personally I'd take the 560xp if I was buying new.
    60cc is a big step up from the 50cc saws.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    60cc is a big step up from the 50cc saws.[/QUOTE

It's the big step up that concerns me a bit. I'm potentially stepping from 38cc to 60cc, I wonder is it too much saw for me.
    I suppose the three issues are power, weight and money.

• Advertisement

All the one to me where you spend your money, don't know @happy garden but his posts are interesting anyhow.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88791673

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/42031-husky-346xp-550xp.html

Try posing on this forum and see how any issue with saws have resolved since they were introduced.

If you get a good saw, keep fuel clean, fresh with proper mix, keep air filter clean, keep up good edge and look after your bar it won't need much else at your level of use.

I just thinned and cleanned 4 acres of spruce with a 9 year old husky 350 and a 3 year old ms 250.

Other than basic care they have given no trouble. (the tool free chain tensioning was a pain on ms 250-until I replaced it-, but that won't be a feature on pro saws)

350 has a world of work done. Have adjust carb once in 9 years

It's the big step up that concerns me a bit. I'm potentially stepping from 38cc to 60cc, I wonder is it too much saw for me.
    Generally the first two dictate the third:D
    A light powerful saw costs money.
    A light saw that doesn't make as much power costs less.
    A cheap powerful saw will likely cost a lot of money long term in repairs.
    Have a look at Zenoah and Shindaiwa, Japanese saws are pretty reliable and usually fairly light and easily started.
    If the max you are cutting is 16" then a 15" bar will do you fine and most good 50cc saws will pull a 15" bar well.
    You could always buy a 18"bar and a couple of chains for bigger stuff if needed?

The 550 will be a big step up in power compared to what you are used to, let alone the 560. Go to the dealer. Pick up a 560 and a 550 with bars on them. Now imagine yourself carrying that thing all day. That will likely make up your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭kay 9

The 550 would be a much more usable saw for that size timber. Lighter, more nimble and slightly lighter on fuel. A 550 with a 15" and 18" b&c will have ya well covered. If ya want a real ripper get a 13" b&c with full chisel chain for the smaller trees etc. Most important of all be careful and Wear appropriate PPE. PS. I've got a 550xp and don't feel the need for more 99% of the time. Ideally a 50cc such as the fore mentioned 550xp and a 70cc like a 372/461 would be great but it's expense you won't need in that size of timber. Best of luck whatever whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

560 has a ton more grunty torque than the 550 but its got a different feel/egnomics even though its not much more than a kilo and a bit in it, you d know you were using it all day. there's some gyroscopic balance from the clutch I was told on 550, both have auto tune which is a great job on smaller saws, loves the cold winter air and very responsive.

Waiting on the 560 to arrive at the dealers. Husqvarna Irl. shipment into the country was delayed due to storms. Gives me some time to read more reviews and ponder on it. Think I'm leaning toword the 550. I'll compare both when the 560 comes in.

Have you considered a 357XP? nice saw and plenty grunty for the timber you'll be cutting.
    Quite a bit cheaper than the 5XX series as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

My thoughts would be a stihl ms260/261 or the older 026 with a 14 inch bar, if one could source an old husqvarna 242 or 254 they would be two good options too.

WikiHow wrote: »
    My thoughts would be a stihl ms260/261 or the older 026 with a 14 inch bar, if one could source an old husqvarna 242 or 254 they would be two good options too.

Saw a 261 for sale yesterday fro €650.

In 10 mins in shop he sold 5 new stihls. Man must be praying for regular hurricane winds

ford2600 wrote: »
    Saw a 261 for sale yesterday fro €650.

In 10 mins in shop he sold 5 new stihls. Man must be praying for regular hurricane winds
    My Local Co-op sold over 20k worth of saws after the storm.
    Place is still in rag order even with 2 weeks of cutting.

• Advertisement

Them 261 stihls ain't all they cracked up to be. Nice torque but bulky for a 50cc saw. Needle bearings collapse on a regular basis. 260 was great saw.

The needle bearing thing is supposed to be fixed. But it is just a fatass for a 50cc saw. The 550xp is the better saw there. I would get a 560xp before an MS261, definitely.

Reindeer wrote: »
    The needle bearing thing is supposed to be fixed. But it is just a fatass for a 50cc saw. The 550xp is the better saw there. I would get a 560xp before an MS261, definitely.

Would even have the 560xp before the ms362:p

kay 9 wrote: »
    Would even have the 560xp before the ms362:p

But would you get a ported MS361 before a 560XP? ;)

But would you get a ported MS361 before a 560XP? ;)

I'm impressed. They do take well to porting. The 361 will always be up there with the good-uns. Stihl better than its younger brother(362). Is that one in the vid yours mate? Hope I'm not derailing a thread.

I'm impressed. They do take well to porting. The 361 will always be up there with the good-uns. Stihl better than its younger brother(362). Is that one in the vid yours mate? Hope I'm not derailing a thread.

Yep. I port all my saws, and a few others. Here's my 365/2165 I did recently with a big bore(77cc) kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxorZEKTNA

Yep. I port all my saws, and a few others. Here's my 365/2165 I did recently with a big bore(77cc) kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyxorZEKTNA

If your ever getting rid of that saw let me know lol. Mastermind eat your heart out.

If your ever getting rid of that saw let me know lol. Mastermind eat your heart out.

This one is mine, but there are many others like it(out there), and one can be yours if ya want a port job ;)

I also follow Randy and Brad and Terry et al.

This one is mine, but there are many others like it(out there), and one can be yours if ya want a port job ;)

I also follow Randy and Brad and Terry et al.
    Yeah those fellas are in the right country for it. It doesn't seem to be that common here. I don't have anything at the moment suitable for porting tbh. Maybe when the 550 is out of warranty, although not sure if they take kindly to it even though they are autotune. Have been wanting to pick up a 372xp. Might pick up a good s/h and get some work done on it. Is it just your own saws ya do mate? Might get a book on it or Smth and have a go on Smth next winter.

• Advertisement

Yeah those fellas are in the right country for it. It doesn't seem to be that common here. I don't have anything at the moment suitable for porting tbh. Maybe when the 550 is out of warranty, although not sure if they take kindly to it even though they are autotune. Have been wanting to pick up a 372xp. Might pick up a good s/h and get some work done on it. Is it just your own saws ya do mate? Might get a book on it or Smth and have a go on Smth next winter.

550's respond strongest when they have lathe work done to them.

I do for whomever wants to pay for a port job(I ask a buck fifty). I am also working on a supply chain for the 77cc big bore kits. Was considering porting them and selling those as a DIY thing.

Advertisement