Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How smart must I be for Dentistry ?

Options
  • 24-02-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

How many As/Bs should I have gotten in the junior cert in order to manage doing dentistry ? I am wondering if I am out of my league or not. What would be the minimum I should have gotten in order to be able to manage the course mentally ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Its your leaving cert that decides that :P dentistry is high points 575< so if your looking for a goal for your JC 6 or 7 A's and rest B's but you HAVE to put in the work in your senior years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

very very smart. That and veterinary have the highest points requirements, as far as l know. you should have a talk with your career guideance councellor!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

High points just mean lots of people with good grades apply for that course.

'Smart' is hard to measure. You would certainly need a grounding in Science subjects and methodical thinking to complete the Dentistry course, but there is no reason why someone with between 400 and 450 points couldn't actually complete and be successful on the course.

The high points requirement is because of the points the candidates applying have got - it is not some sign of difficulty of the course.

I wouldn't really judge anything on Junior Cert. grades. It's an entirely different exam and marking method to that used in the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

If you are choosing leaving cert subjects now, you will need 2 science subjects for dentistry in UCC and TCD. For UCC one of these must be chemistry. If you really want to be a dentist and don't get the points for Ireland you could look into studying abroad. Best of luck

Advertisement