Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want my dog back

• 24-02-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi, (This is a long post)

Late last year, I was very ill, and my Mother 'unadopted' the family dog back to the animal rescue centre that she had adopted him from, because she said she couldn't cope with looking after him, being so freaked out that I was in hospital. We had him nearly 2 years. Before that, I got a lifetime dog licence from the county council for him, as my Mother said that she was going to give him back several times - I don't really think she has it in her to be a permanent dog owner, even though she seemed to think she could be on getting him. I got it so that he would be guaranteed stability with some of his now-family - i.e., me - if she followed through, and because you're supposed to. Plus, he basically was my dog, and pretty much my baby.

Since then, he's been moved a good few times, between being adopted and fostered (I know this from the group's online page). This is so unfair on him.

As soon as I was better, and when he came up as in need of adoption on their page, I got on to the centre and said that I wanted to adopt him back. They basically told me that I couldn't have him back, that he was under their care, and that it wouldn't be fair on him.

Being "under" their care is completely unfair because he's had so little stability, and been moved so many times. That's cruel, plus, he needs to have an operation, also, for which I have researched and brought him to vet appointments regarding - it was due to be done after I was hospitalised - and if it's not done, he will be in unnecessary pain which is completely preventable and unnecessary. This is completely cruel. I have medical insurance for him, and even though the operation is supposed to be done by now - I told the rescue centre that it needed to be done - it hasn't been.

I'm so upset and heartbroken, and I just want him back. I would really appreciate any advice as to what I could do, if anyone has any ideas. Being with us was the longest period of stability my dog had, and he was so happy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

First, do you feel as though you're able to fully commit to this dog? From the organisation's point of view, they may be thinking "if they could give up this dog once, why wouldn't they do it again?"

Second, have you explained the situation in detail as you have here as to why the dog was given up in the first place?

Lastly, if you want this dog back, you should be persistent unless the dog has found a new permanent home. Don't take what the first person said as law, assuming they are a moderately sized group with a number of people involved you should have more than one person to speak to about the situation. Not saying be rude about it at all, but be truly honest about how you feel about the dog and its situation, if you get (understandably) frustrated or angry at someone it won't help your situation at all.

Would it be possible for you to visit their establishment, if they have one? It's much better to speak to someone face to face about something like this than over e-mail/phone/etc.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

If I were you I'd just arrive at the center, ask nicely for them to return him to you.Explain you were in hospital and you mother returned him not you and you want him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Are you well enough to take the dog back?
    Is you illness something that could relapse - and if so do you have the support to look after the dog (obviously not your mother) which means that the dog would have a stable forever home?

These, as well as explaining why the dog was surrendered initially, are what you are probably also going to have to convince the rescue about.

Advertisement