Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new son

Options
  • 24-02-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi my wife and i have just welcomed a new arrival into our family, our first child.
    So ive started up an email for him and sending him weekly photos and to give him the password when he turns 18, well thats the idea anyways, have anybody got any other ideas??? He was born on the 11 feb and i missed the news paper, is there a link to old irish news papers so i can get the headlines???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Take a photo of him sitting on the same chair each year to see how he is growing. Likewise I have a photo of my Ds with his dad and 2 (1/2) siblings on my hospital bed the day he was born so now i try to take a photo of the 4 of them on his birthday to see how all the kids have grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Make a private youtube account & upload videos from your phone to it. Do it regularly, because once you offload them from your phone, you rarely look at them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

For the first year is say do the photo if him on his monthly 'birthday'. They change so much in the first year but you don't notice it day to day. We take a photo every month in the same place on couch in roughly same clothes (a babygro), and the difference each month is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

You can upload your photos/videos to Google+. I did it recently and it's great. All the photos are there and you can share them with family and friends through their Gmail addresses. Just a word of warning... make sure you only upload photos that you and (more importantly) your wife are happy with others seeing. I made this mistake and had to delete some photos the other day and create a new album for the family to view.

Another positive to this is that you can sync your phone to it too. It will auto-backup photos you have taken to the site. If you lose your phone, or you comp kicks the bucket then you still have those photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/10/de-tuesday-papers-49/

There's a link to the front pages from the 11th there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

bazmc35 wrote: »
    Hi my wife and i have just welcomed a new arrival into our family, our first child.
    So ive started up an email for him and sending him weekly photos and to give him the password when he turns 18, well thats the idea anyways, have anybody got any other ideas??? He was born on the 11 feb and i missed the news paper, is there a link to old irish news papers so i can get the headlines???

I'm doing something similar, but I've setup a private blog that I'll share with them at some stage. I'm writing posts regarding different milestones and stuff - teeth, food, walking, first Christmas and birthday etc. I'm using Youtube too for some videos and embedding them. Just hoping that all of these technologies are still in use in 20 odd years!

I think that if you get in touch with the publications, they might have some, particularly this soon after the date. Not 100% sure on this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Back up those photos to a hard drive or something off line! :)

I've been keeping a baby diary, noting all the "firsts" - laugh, smile, tooth, crawl, step, solid food. I've kept the hospital bracelet, and a lock of his hair from the first haircut.

We have our photos and videos sorted into months on Picasa in private albums only family members can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

The novelty soon wears off after a couple of years and it is hilarious that people assume certain websites and email accounts will be around in 20 years ROFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Westwood wrote: »
    The novelty soon wears off after a couple of years and it is hilarious that people assume certain websites and email accounts will be around in 20 years ROFL.

Please only post helpful replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

lang wrote: »
    You can upload your photos/videos to Google+. I did it recently and it's great. All the photos are there and you can share them with family and friends through their Gmail addresses. Just a word of warning... make sure you only upload photos that you and (more importantly) your wife are happy with others seeing. I made this mistake and had to delete some photos the other day and create a new album for the family to view.

Another positive to this is that you can sync your phone to it too. It will auto-backup photos you have taken to the site. If you lose your phone, or you comp kicks the bucket then you still have those photos.

What if Google goes bang in the next 18 years and is all lost :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Actually January, Ive worked in IT for more than 25 years and the advice given by westwood is both helpful and correct.

Most sites don't last that long and people really should not consider online storage, you tube, google+ etc etc as a long term solution.

Even doing stuff like saving to cd/dvd/flash drive/hard disk you have to think long term, can you imagine giving a boxload of Betamax or VHS to your kid nowadays and saying, heres your childhood, all 60 hours of it!! Would they even bother? would you even bother?

I think the answer is No.

I think the best way is the simplest. Take lots and lots of photos, print them and write notes on the back, in pen and store them in a flame and waterproof storage box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Even doing stuff like saving to cd/dvd/flash drive/hard disk you have to think long term, can you imagine giving a boxload of Betamax or VHS to your kid nowadays and saying, heres your childhood, all 60 hours of it!! Would they even bother? would you even bother?

Few people are that stupid and those who have grown up with constantly changing technology know full well to keep updating their photos/videos/documents. For example most middle aged people I know, transferred their home videos to digital files years and years ago. I think you need to give people way more credit than the none you are giving them by suggesting that people who dumped their VHS recorders a decade ago haven't the cop on to know that their important videos would have to be copied onto something they actually have the means to play. They knew that then and they'll know that the next time popular current technology becomes obsolete.

Advertisement