Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect Trilogy: worth it?

• 24-02-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭

So as my xbox died half way through mass effect 2 I figured it'd just be cheaper to buy mass effect on the ps3. However, it seems cheaper to buy mass effect 2 & 3 separately than buying the trilogy pack.

Is there any benefit to the trilogy pack? Do you get anything extra for your money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I think you get all the dlc with it? could be wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Robert Lawlor

Well the benefit would be you would have number 1 as well.

I ain't sure if you get the dlc but you do get a sweat looking case.

I like collecting games and having a big collection if you rather just own the game you should go for the trilogy pack as it is cheaper and gives you an extra game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's a fantastic trilogy, and definitely worth playing. The only main difference you get having all 3 on the same platform, is you get to carry your character over through the entire series. There are a fair few small decisions that carry over through them all, with certain characters showing up and mentioning your previous actions.

You also get the following DLC on the PS3.
    • Bring Down the Sky (on-disc)
    • Cerberus Network
    • Kasumi - Stolen Memory (on-disc)
    • Overlord (on-disc)
    • Lair of the Shadow Broker (on-disc)
    • Mass Effect 3 Online Pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, tbh I was contemplating getting my xbox fixed just to carry on the storyline with my character, but it's too expensive, and seeing as I can't carry over my character cross platform I have no problem starting at 2... It's about £21 for 2 and 3, but it's £45 for the trilogy box (off amazon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭jones

Brilliant game and some of the DLC is great lair of the shadow broker is a nice little add on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Tomd983

You would be better off buying the trilogy pack, as stated by others in this thread you do get some of the dlc.
    You get none of the Mass effect 3 dlc but most of the other dlc for the other two games. off the top of my head you will be missing Arrival and overlord for Mass effect 2 and some of the weapons packs. Arrival and Overlord are currently about €6 or €7 each on PS Store and I think the weapons and alternate outfit packs for Mass effect 2 and 3 are €2 each.
    All the multiplayer dlc for Mass effect 3 is free and I think the online pass is now free for ME3 too, I think. If you do decide to pickup the set I would recommend you pick up the weapons pack that has the Cerberus Harrier for Mass effect 3 and the N7 weapons pack for Mass effect 2, both are well worth it.

If you had cerberus network on your 360 it may be active on your ps3. I had ME3 on the xbox originally but then started playing it on PS£ because it was free on PSplus and I found that I didnt need another online pass for my ps3 copy because it was tied to my Bioware account and not to a specific console. My online war assets that I gathered on the xbox transferred over too.

Tomd983 wrote: »
    You would be better off buying the trilogy pack, as stated by others in this thread you do get some of the dlc.
    You get none of the Mass effect 3 dlc but most of the other dlc for the other two games. off the top of my head you will be missing Arrival and overlord for Mass effect 2 and some of the weapons packs. Arrival and Overlord are currently about €6 or €7 each on PS Store and I think the weapons and alternate outfit packs for Mass effect 2 and 3 are €2 each.
    All the multiplayer dlc for Mass effect 3 is free and I think the online pass is now free for ME3 too, I think. If you do decide to pickup the set I would recommend you pick up the weapons pack that has the Cerberus Harrier for Mass effect 3 and the N7 weapons pack for Mass effect 2, both are well worth it.

If you had cerberus network on your 360 it may be active on your ps3. I had ME3 on the xbox originally but then started playing it on PS£ because it was free on PSplus and I found that I didnt need another online pass for my ps3 copy because it was tied to my Bioware account and not to a specific console. My online war assets that I gathered on the xbox transferred over too.

Cool, ok I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy of the trilogy so!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

The differences from the storyline carry over are very small, definitely not worth getting your xbox fixed to see what happens in ME3 due to your decisions. An odd reference in the odd mission is all, which has no effect on how the mission plays out. The DLCs have some good side missions but nothing spectacular and are pretty similar to the other missions; they do add a bit more back story to the ME universe though. I played as an adept so weapon DLCs didn't have much of an impact on my game.

Personally, I bought the box set but I like collecting games and Mass Effect is a great franchise so it's nice to have. You wouldn't be missing out on much by getting 2 & 3 so it comes down to whether you want to pay the extra £20 on ME 1, an extra hour or 2 of DLC missions and a shiny black box set.

You could pick up a second hand copy since all the dlc that comes with the set is on the discs. The two exceptions are the cerberus network codes and dlc from it and the ME3 online pass which can downloaded for free from the PS store now.

Yeah CEX sell it for €35. That'll do.

Actually might as well trade in all my xbox games and see what I get out of them from CEX.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update for you. There is a large sale starting on the PS Store today with a lot of Mass effect dlc inlcuded, most of the dlc in the sale are the ones that would be missing from the trilogy set along with all the story based dlc for Mass effect 3. The sale runs until March 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is on sale again for 13 euro on PSN for ps3. I'm in the middle of deciding whether to get it and borrow a PS3 for it. Itching to play it all over again and the PS4 looks like it has a bit of a dry patch for the next month (for me anyway)

I only played ME1 on a crappy PC on the lowest settings stuttering along, so never bothered with the side quests, just rushed through the story so I knew what was going on for ME2 on PS3. Looking forward to spending a bit more time on ME1, if I do decide to go for it anyway.

Edit: Apologies for digging up an old thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SirJoker

I don't think it minds. :D Mass Effect is a brilliant trilogy. Let's bring this back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

there is a remaster of all 3 games on the way i think,i never played them originally,was too into the Shootybang games at the time,i reckon ill pick the remasters up though

Advertisement