Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another cull question

• 24-02-2014 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

I had a ewe (mature ewe) that lambed this morning and I got it very hard to get the lamb out. It was a single lamb and luckily the lamb was very small otherwise I was in big trouble. The problem was that the ewe didnt open up fully and she was very tight. I had to go for help. If the lamb was any bigger I would fear for the outcome

Question would this be a once off, ie will she be tight next year or should I cull?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Cull.

I think the general thinking is - if there is any doubt or question, then cull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Anything that causes trouble, goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Had 1like this last year and didn't cull . Remains to be seen was I right. Even though i gave her plenty of time before handling her I wondered at the time would she have got there in the end herself. I thought it might have been ring womb at the time but I think that condition is very rare so don't know

I wouldn't cull for this . Some ewes do deserve a second chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

she may be fine next year,but if cervix damaged could lead to prolapse.
    not much to gain keeping her n nothing to lose culling her.
    if more ewes show same condition check out your feeding programme.
    have found 20 ml calcium under the skin n leave her for 15-20 minutes can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I wouldn't cull for that assuming that she's lambed before without this problem. That said how mature is she and how good a ewe is she. If she's relatively young and a good ewe I would give her another chance. An older middling ewe and I probably wouldn't bother keeping her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement