Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ringing pet lambs

• 24-02-2014 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

My wife was in a neighbour's house this evening, the neighbour has pet lambs and is not a farmer.

The neighbour asked would I ring the lambs tails.

As per my wife the lams are a few weeks old

I always ring tails after 2-3 days.

Would it be dangerous to ring lambs tails who are a few weeks old?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Tomjim wrote: »
    My wife was in a neighbour's house this evening, the neighbour has pet lambs and is not a farmer.

I think 7 days is officially the max time you can still ring em at. If they are a few weeks old, I would leave them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

I always ring them older. At about 4 weeks usually but I would go older

It does them no harm whatsoever. Don't care what others say about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Tomjim wrote: »

7 Days is the legal time.

Have seen ewe lambs having tails ringed out in July to no ill effect, though they don't be happy about it.

Did hear talk to watch out for the condition of the ringer as rust flakes getting between ring and skin can cause joint ill or blood poisoning I forget which.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

balls n all de got te go
    7 day rule is stupid but dats de law....maybe they would prefer the nz lads on Utube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's not dangerous perhaps illegal as some people here have pointed out.
    The animal rights crowd probably call it cruel but so is a bunch of maggots eating them alive next summer.
    Maybe the lambs are very big for their age and only appear to be several weeks old if you know what I mean.
    I'm not saying your wife is wrong but I don't want you to break the law when ringing those tails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The law is there due to the discomfort it causes the lamb.
    If they want them ringed I'd suggest you 'teach' them so they do it themselves

Advertisement