Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports and Exercise Management

Options
  • 24-02-2014 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Anyone currently in/or has completed this course? What are ye're thoughts etc on the course,was it difficult/long hours,and what are job prospects like for it?

Any help massively appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Interested in this myself

• Registered Users Posts: 11 timmyk16

I finished the Bsc in Sports Management in 2007. I thought it was a great course as it covers plenty of different areas. Sports marketing, sports science, business management etc.

The only drawback I found was that there is very little practical work involved in it but it may be different now. However, having said that, if you want to get into the sports industry I would definitely recommend doing this course.

At the moment sports jobs in Ireland aren't as plentiful as they once were. When I first finished college there were plenty of jobs around but any interview I went to they told me while the qualification was good, I didn't have any experience.

I am working in the sports industry now and I had to go the long way about it by doing an internship first but that gave me great experience. One of our lecturers told us that it is no good going to an interview and simply saying you have a passion for sports. You need to be able to show this passion in a practical sense so I would recommend volunteering at events or with a local club.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

timmyk16 wrote: »
    I finished the Bsc in Sports Management in 2007. I thought it was a great course as it covers plenty of different areas. Sports marketing, sports science, business management etc.

The only drawback I found was that there is very little practical work involved in it but it may be different now. However, having said that, if you want to get into the sports industry I would definitely recommend doing this course.

At the moment sports jobs in Ireland aren't as plentiful as they once were. When I first finished college there were plenty of jobs around but any interview I went to they told me while the qualification was good, I didn't have any experience.

I am working in the sports industry now and I had to go the long way about it by doing an internship first but that gave me great experience. One of our lecturers told us that it is no good going to an interview and simply saying you have a passion for sports. You need to be able to show this passion in a practical sense so I would recommend volunteering at events or with a local club.

Ah cheers for the reply, it sounds great! If you don't mind me asking,what line of work are you in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 timmyk16

Anonymou wrote: »
    Ah cheers for the reply, it sounds great! If you don't mind me asking,what line of work are you in now?
    I'm involved in marketing for a golf company. I know in your OP you asked about difficult/long hours which I forgot to answer. I think in our first year we had 14 or 15 hours of lectures per week. It was something similar for most of the course until the last semester of the final year when it was 9 hours over two days but there was a dissertation due so most of your hours were spent on that.

The rest is up to you then and as they say you get out what you put in.

There is 3/4 month work experience in the second year which can be great if you get into somewhere you really want to work. It's also a great way to make contacts in the industry.

Advertisement