Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ja'mie: Private School Girl

• 24-02-2014 2:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

I just started watching Ja'mie: Private School Girl on BBC3.
    It's hilarious!
    Played by Chris Lilley, Ja'mie is a spoiled brat in high school with equally obnoxious friends and she's such a love/hate character.
    Anyone else watching it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I must try to catch this, I liked his older series that Ja'mie was in, Summer Heights High especially the character Jonah Takalua.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Its a great show. I have seen the first 5 so far. "QUICHE" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Shame this thread isn't more active. I caught Summer Heights High when it was on really early in the mornings on RTE - a while after it was originally shown. Definitely one of my favourite comedies of the last few years. Finally my parents sorted out our sh!tty internet connection, and I've been able to watch the first episode of Ja'mie: Private School Girl. I thought it was brilliant.

While obviously exaggerated, the caricature is surprisingly close to reality. I have two younger sisters, and a lot of it rings true: from the inability to part without saying "Bye" several times and the swearing of eternal love to each other, to being convinced of having acted in a certain way ("I'm really nice to everyone") and that belief being reinforced by an uncritical friendship circle.

I have yet to watch the rest of the episodes, but I'm slightly concerned that the single character (versus the multiple ones in SHH) won't be sufficient to carry an engaging story across the whole series.

Anyone have any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

rok wrote: »
    I must try to catch this, I liked his older series that Ja'mie was in, Summer Heights High especially the character Jonah Takalua.

Jonah is starting on.BBC3 soon! Can't wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its just so Australian its unbelievable. The casual racist jokes are just so funny and something you wont find in American or European comedy. The acting of Chris is so good that you actually forget its a men playing a teenage girl. The show is quite popular in America and Canada.

I watched the whole series and can honestly say its funny throughout. The outtakes on youtube are even funnier. Like its so realistic for a teenager in 2014

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I've just finished. I thought it went south remarkably quickly! By the end, it wasn't that Ja'mie annoyed me, just that I no longer found her funny. Had I seen the final episode in isolation, I'd say I would have found her ignorance regarding race very funny (in truth, I did chuckle at equating being black with being "retarded" and homelessness). But, I didn't think the middle episodes were up to much. Take for example the episode in which Ja'mie is dumped, and the way in which it is played up for sentimental purposes: Mitchell treated her dreadfully, and the selfless love her mother showed in hugging her despite all the grief ought to have been moving, but her character hadn't been developed nearly enough for me to be in any way emotionally effected by either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Jonah is starting on.BBC3 soon! Can't wait

Thursday 8 May

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/jonah-from-tonga.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I thought Ja'mie was the worst character from We can be Heroes and subsequently Summer Heights High. Glad Jonah is getting his own show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

I adore everything Chris Lilley does!! I'm so happy Jonah is getting his own show, he was my favourite in SSH. I actually cried when he got expelled, it was so sad.

I hope he makes a show about Mr G OR S.Mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I adore everything Chris Lilley does!! I'm so happy Jonah is getting his own show, he was my favourite in SSH. I actually cried when he got expelled, it was so sad.

I hope he makes a show about Mr G OR S.Mouse.

It really shows how good an actual story teller Lilley is when you see the real emotional scenes. The ending to one of the stories in "We can be heroes" really choked me up :P

Timmyctc wrote: »
    It really shows how good an actual story teller Lilley is when you see the real emotional scenes. The ending to one of the stories in "We can be heroes" really choked me up :P

He's fantastic. I must admit, I also cried when S.Mouse heard 'Squashed N.....' (shan't type that word here) on the radio, AND when everyone arrived at Nathan's party in Angry Boys. It's actually the only thing I have ever cried while watching apart from the last Harry Potter movie.
    Was it Pat (the rolling lady)? she died at the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

Hello,

I've just seen an ep of this on YouTube. Where can I watch the rest online as I've missed it on BCC and the BBC Player won't let me access it as I'm not in the UK.

Thanks.

Hello,

I've just seen an ep of this on YouTube. Where can I watch the rest online as I've missed it on BCC and the BBC Player won't let me access it as I'm not in the UK.

Thanks.
    Download it from the <SNIP>!??!
    Otherwise, it's likely to be on <SNIP>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No piracy/streaming talk, guys.

Mr E wrote: »
    No piracy/streaming talk, guys.
    I never knew this... I got a warning. Oops. Sorry. If I pm it to him is that against the rules too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks for the heads up on this one, I really enjoyed it. Wish there was more now.

Advertisement