Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Rating confusion... bad rating + lighting = higher bills?

• 24-02-2014 4:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Right, so i'm looking to rent a house and can't find any that will allow pets... but one. However that "one house" doesn't have a BER rating.
    So, basically I wanna know what exactly does the "BER" rating cover?
    The quote I got that best explained it was:

"A BER does not cover electricity used for purposes other than heating, lighting, pumps and fans, i.e. does not include for cooking, refrigeration, laundry, etc."

Hypotethically speaking does that mean that if I only had the lights on in the sitting room of two houses, (no appliances or electronics plugged in, just the light on) that the house with better rating would = cheaper electricity bills? Just PURELY based on lighting.

The reason why I ask is, I understand that the higher the rating the better the insulation, so the less need for rads to be on at all times. But I am what seems to be allergic to radiators, I get headaches and it triggers my ashtma, so they would never be on in the first place. I don't get cold often, and when I do I opt for more blankets so the heating wont be a problem. However, the lighting bit would be a problem.

Anyway sorry for the completely dumbed-down comment, i've no clue about this BER System, so just wanted to make myself understood.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Landlords are required by law to have a building energy rating done whenever they offer a property for rent, there is an exception a listed building is exempt from the requirement for a BER.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the ber system is a method to compare dwellings energy efficiency.

All things being equal, an A rated dwelling is more energy efficient than a G rated one.
    Hypotethically speaking does that mean that if I only had the lights on in the sitting room of two houses, (no appliances or electronics plugged in, just the light on) that the house with better rating would = cheaper electricity bills? Just PURELY based on lighting.

no, this is would have NOTHING to do with the BER rating.

The occupants habits and practices have NOTHING to do with the rating either. There are standard assumptions made for all dwellings in order to be able to compare like with like.
    But I am what seems to be allergic to radiators, I get headaches and it triggers my ashtma
    its incredibly unlikely you are allergic to radiators, they are just a means of dispersing heat into a room. It sounds like the dwellings you have been staying in have been ventilated incorrectly if your asthma gets worse when rads are on... it means the houses are too cold to begin with. Warm air holds more moisture therefore the air needs to be refreshed more often. Warm air in a badly ventilated dwelling leads to asthma problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Thanks for the answers, really helped me out!

Yeah it probably is just a problem with these rads then. it just feels like the oxygen has literally burned out which in turn makes my lungs sore, and then I can't breathe which triggers my asthma and then finally, headaches.

Thanks again!

Advertisement