Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL signing of the season?

• 24-02-2014 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

With the season going into the final hurdle who in your opinion has been signing of the season thus far?

You can chose either by price to performance ratio or straight up BEST.

A few candidates:

Mathieu Flamini
    James McCarthy
    Gareth Barry
    Andy Carroll
    Paulinho
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Wilfried Bony
    Ki Sung-Yueng
    Pablo Osvaldo
    Dejan Lovren
    Marouane Fellaini
    Loic Remy
    Juan Mata
    Alvaro Negredo
    Fernandinho
    Jesus Navas
    Simon Mignolet
    Kolo Toure
    Mamadou Sakho
    Tom Huddlestone

I dont think there has been a stand out player, Remi has come in and scored goals, Carrol although a laughing stock completely changes West Ham into decent team. Lovren has also done a very good job suring up the Southampton defense and barry and mcCarthy have done excellent.

For me

Best value: Flamini Overall: Remy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No mention of Moses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Carrol although a laughing stock completely changes West Ham into decent team

Why is he a laughing stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Osvaldo????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

NukaCola wrote: »
    Why is he a laughing stock?

Because of the transfer fee that he had no control over, or maybe the fact he played for Liverpool. Who knows?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Someone who's not on the list and whos absence from the team due to injury has shown how vital he is;

Gerard Deulofeu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Someone who's not on the list and whos absence from the team due to injury has shown how vital he is;

Gerard Deulofeu

Good player. Good signing, but vital may be stretching it to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Negredo surely? On twenty plus goals already and has scored in big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

getting gareth barry on loan while at the same time getting 27 million for fellani was some deal for everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kim Kallstrom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Negredo - he's been fantastic and had the added pressure of replacing Aguero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Negredo or Flamini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Agueroooo wrote: »

Gerard Deulofeu

Bit of an exaggeration. He's only started 2 games out of the 14 games he's been involved in all season and played a whopping 378 minutes.

Fernandinho or Negredo for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Nergredo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Got to be Flamini.

Mata, Kolo, Fellaini? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Has to be Victor Moses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I want to count Sturridge in this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Fernandinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The straight up best signing on paper has to be Mata, obviously too early to include him in the overall best signing.
    Can't look past Negredo for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Negredo for only 16million has to be seen as a bit of a bargain, though really any striker should look good with Silva, Nasri and Toure supporting them. I would also say that City would still be competing for the title whether they had signed him or not.

So the answer has to be Flamini, he has been hugely important to Arsenal this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Zaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Oranage2 wrote: »
    With the season going into the final hurdle who in your opinion has been signing of the season thus far?

You can chose either by price to performance ratio or straight up BEST.

A few candidates:

Mathieu Flamini
    James McCarthy
    Gareth Barry
    Andy Carroll
    Paulinho
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Wilfried Bony
    Ki Sung-Yueng
    Pablo Osvaldo
    Dejan Lovren
    Marouane Fellaini
    Loic Remy
    Juan Mata
    Alvaro Negredo
    Fernandinho
    Jesus Navas
    Simon Mignolet
    Kolo Toure
    Mamadou Sakho
    Tom Huddlestone

I dont think there has been a stand out player, Remi has come in and scored goals, Carrol although a laughing stock completely changes West Ham into decent team. Lovren has also done a very good job suring up the Southampton defense and barry and mcCarthy have done excellent.

For me

Best value: Flamini Overall: Remy

Some very odd suggestions listed above! Mata will probably turn into a great signing, but he has done very little. Fellaini has been a disaster so far partly due to injury though.

Osvaldo has probably been flop of the season. Record signing, now on loan in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Negredo for only 16million has to be seen as a bit of a bargain, though really any striker should look good with Silva, Nasri and Toure supporting them. I would also say that City would still be competing for the title whether they had signed him or not.

So the answer has to be Flamini, he has been hugely important to Arsenal this year.

If only Dzeko looked as good :(

Flamini, Negredo, Fernandinho in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A lot of bad signings made last summer by teams up & down the league. Negredo has been the best & Lamela the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Where's Lukaku on that list? Whilst he'd have an outside chance, he's certainly done more than Osvaldo, Fellaini, Carroll etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Mignolet and James McCarthy, hehe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

No Ozil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Lovren for me, has been rock solid at the back for Southampton.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    No Ozil?

Not that he's been signing of the season, but he's done vastly more this year than the similarly priced Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Not that he's been signing of the season, but he's done vastly more this year than the similarly priced Mata.

This year or this season?

If you mean this year:
    Ozil, 8 games, 0 goals, 1 assist ..........looked jaded and disinterested.
    Mata, 5 games, 0 goals, 3 assists

If you mean this season:
    Saying one player has "done vastly more" than the other, when both players are of similar quality, but one has been a regular in his side, and the other has largely been sitting on the bench is a pretty obvious observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

If it is based on impact for the club, I don't think you can argue against Flamini being the best signing. I'd lump the loan signings of Barry/Lukaku 2nd and Negredo 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If you look at players that have made the biggest impact at their teams this season then Tom Huddleston is in for a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Negredo for me

Fernandinho, Flamini up there also. Willian has been quite good and Matic looks like a great buy, hard to give it to a January signing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All of Newcastle's amazing signings have been impeccable.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Timing of these threads usually baffles me, anyway.

I'd go with Barry myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tony Pulis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The straight up best signing on paper has to be Mata, obviously too early to include him in the overall best signing.

Mata's trophy for the best signing on paper will be given to him at a special awards ceremony at the end of the season. There will even be a little figure of him signing his contract on top of it.

v3ttel wrote: »
    This year or this season?

If you mean this year:
    Ozil, 8 games, 0 goals, 1 assist ..........looked jaded and disinterested.
    Mata, 5 games, 0 goals, 3 assists

If you mean this season:
    Saying one player has "done vastly more" than the other, when both players are of similar quality, but one has been a regular in his side, and the other has largely been sitting on the bench is a pretty obvious observation.

Which is why Mata's inclusion is bizarre.

In addition... somebody has been getting all their opinions from the newspapers. This "jaded and disinterested" tripe is just that. As is going by goal and assist stats alone in judgement of a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Has to be Gareth Barry, cost them peanuts and would think it likely he'll sign there at the end of the season when his contract at Man City expires.

McCarthy has benefitted greatly from having Barry beside him in midfield, which can only be a good think for his development.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

A case of a Im a Utd fan and I must include one of their players no matter what. So I'll come up with an on paper argument. Even this argument doesnt stand up. The fee is close to 40 million, we have yet to see if he will play in his best position. The team he signed for has glaring defencies in other areas of the pitch yet signed a player in the one area bar GK they are strong. Chelsea had two main weakness's CF and DM they signed Matic to solve one of those problems a much better signing same as fernandinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

I'm an Arsenal fan and I'd say that Flamini would be FAR down the list of big contributors to our season so far. Not even a certain starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bony has been excellent for Swansea!

Mata's trophy for the best signing on paper will be given to him at a special awards ceremony at the end of the season. There will even be a little figure of him signing his contract on top of it.

As opposed to the real trophy they will be giving out for signing of the season? :confused:

Weird post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's clearly Jozy Altidore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Santi101 wrote: »
    I'm an Arsenal fan and I'd say that Flamini would be FAR down the list of big contributors to our season so far. Not even a certain starter.

He is against any sort of decent side. He adds so much more to us defensively than Arteta. And it's not just performances, we've been crying out for a player like him, such a vocal and passionate man. He'll always give 100% too, just look at the Bayern game.

A case of a Im a Utd fan and I must include one of their players no matter what. So I'll come up with an on paper argument. Even this argument doesnt stand up. The fee is close to 40 million, we have yet to see if he will play in his best position. The team he signed for has glaring defencies in other areas of the pitch yet signed a player in the one area bar GK they are strong. Chelsea had two main weakness's CF and DM they signed Matic to solve one of those problems a much better signing same as fernandinho.

Well that's absolute bollox. The thread is signing of the season. There can be other criteria than just who has played the best.

Mata and Özil were the biggest names that moved this season. Özil has turned out to be a bit of a let down after a great start which swayed my decision in this case.
    If City snapped up Messi in January and he only played 5 games without ripping up the place would you not think he would be considered as the best signing?

A case of I'm an ABU just disagreeing for the sake of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Barry, lovren and Negredo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

mike65 wrote: »
    Tony Pulis

good shout.

he's almost rescued a side who were destined for relegation before he took the job.

huge signing for palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well that's absolute bollox. The thread is signing of the season. There can be other criteria than just who has played the best.

Mata and Özil were the biggest names that moved this season. Özil has turned out to be a bit of a let down after a great start which swayed my decision in this case.
    If City snapped up Messi in January and he only played 5 games without ripping up the place would you not think he would be considered as the best signing?

A case of I'm an ABU just disagreeing for the sake of it...

I'm with WillIamnt on this one.

"Signing of the season" is a pretty broad criteria. I'd go with Mata in that regard. Best players in the league for two seasons. Not like he's past his best or anything, you could argue his prime is still to come.

Made vocal my worries for Ozil, in that he has some form of stamina issue, be it doesn't look after himself or hes not built right, but the fella can barely last 60 minutes on a pitch. And it was something of a when rather then if, for his form to totally drop off.

If we are talking about "effectiveness" I'd probably go with Fernahndinho. City for all it's powers have a pretty meh midfield outside of Toure, who has a tendancy to drift away from games. Fernahndinho brought alongside him a more dynamic , capable player that allows Toure a bit more freedom and the pair have been critical to City's success this year. There was a reason he was being so focused heavily on before the Barca game, as a key component City would miss. (I don't know how to spell the lads name :( )

If we are talking about "value" Barry probably nails it. Experienced league player, now with a title under his belt helping not only the team, but also a developing midfield at Everton. Barry has big game experience and it's shown this year. Could be giving Hodgson some serious selection worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Some off the players on that list are crazy, like off epic proportions crazy. Like Bacuna for Villa was a way better signing than Osvaldo.
    For me it has to be Flamini followed by Negredo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Negredo for me aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement