Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL signing of the season?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Well that's absolute bollox. The thread is signing of the season. There can be other criteria than just who has played the best.

Mata and Özil were the biggest names that moved this season. Özil has turned out to be a bit of a let down after a great start which swayed my decision in this case.
    If City snapped up Messi in January and he only played 5 games without ripping up the place would you not think he would be considered as the best signing?

A case of I'm an ABU just disagreeing for the sake of it...

Stay classy. Its ridiculous to suggest mata is the signing of the season and if you didnt support Utd you wouldnt be suggesting it. As per usual with you you twist an argument to suit your own agenda. Pretty much did the same in the best player in the league thread. Its hardly ABU to say mata isnt the signing of the season. I think you may be getting a touch of the ABL if truth be told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The straight up best signing on paper has to be Mata, obviously too early to include him in the overall best signing.
    Can't look past Negredo for that.
    This is all kinds of ridiculous. Fanboyism of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Less candidates than last season. I can't say there's been a real standout bargain buy like maybe Michu or Benteke last season.

If we could go with a manager, I'd go Tony Pulis (if Palace get over the line). I'm not sure if his name was put up tongue in cheek, but really he's taken a team that looked destined for relegation and it now looks like he will keep them up. In general, what you need as a newly promoted club is a strong defence. Quite often the teams that crushed the Championship get a nasty surprise in the Premier League - it is much harder for their supposedly good attacking players to carve open Premier League teams and they struggle. You have to have a strong defensive foundation and Pulis knows how to instil an organised backline and knows how to keep teams in the Premier League. When you think of what that means to a team of Palace's stature, the money it involves, everything, he'd be my signing of the season, permitting they stay in the league.

Otherwise I would go with Remi, who is banging in goals for fun on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ah it really has to be Negredo or Fernandinho tbh, as much as it pains me to say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

For me it would be Negredo or Flamini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Negredo. It's not even that close tbh. No other signing has had such an impact. Guys like Bony, Fernandinho and Ozil have had good seasons but they havent been as consistently good.

For value town, Barry and Flamini have to win that battle because they both cost nothing but wages and have performed better than a lot of expectations.

If Mata is the best signing on paper then Moyes is the best not on paper!

In all seriousness Negredo by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Even if you're going with this wierd 'on paper' logic I don't see how you can make a clear distinction that Mata is definitely a better signing on paper than Ozil. Silly argument anyway tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Stay classy. Its ridiculous to suggest mata is the signing of the season and if you didnt support Utd you wouldnt be suggesting it. As per usual with you you twist an argument to suit your own agenda. Pretty much did the same in the best player in the league thread. Its hardly ABU to say mata isnt the signing of the season. I think you may be getting a touch of the ABL if truth be told.
    Wasn't aware you were following my posting history so closely. I'm truly flattered.

Tell me what I said in the other thread, even I don't remember that :confused:

Also, stay classy for what? Precious much?
    You're the one getting personal.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    This is all kinds of ridiculous. Fanboyism of the highest order.
    Meh, huge signing. Hardly ridiculous under certain criteria. Obviously hasn't been the most effective signing as I already said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Kallstrom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

Luis Suarez signing a new contract, best bit of business done last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I refuse to say Negredo as any time I've put him in my fantasy team he's done feck all.

By the way are people seriously suggesting Mata has been the signing of the season? That is just absurd. Maybe in amount of newspaper column inches dedicated to it but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Look how City, and Toure in particular, sturggled (by their standards anyway) without Fernandinho. That's often when you see the real value of a player. Also the case for Lovren and Southampton to a certain extent. Willian, for all the uproar about his signing and Mata's exclusion and sale, has been excellent too.

Honourable mention to pretty much the whole Hull team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If you look at players that have made the biggest impact at their teams this season then Tom Huddleston is in for a shout.

Maybe the best shout. If a player is 20 million plus its no surprise if they're actually really good!

• Advertisement

Wasn't aware you were following my posting history so closely. I'm truly flattered.

Tell me what I said in the other thread, even I don't remember that :confused:

Also, stay classy for what? Precious much?
    You're the one getting personal.

It was a bad shout by you just accept it and move on.

It was a bad shout by you just accept it and move on.

The OP left it open to interpretation. It was a bad shout under certain criteria. Signing of the season for me was between Mata and Özil, by my interpretation. Couldn't care less if you or anybody else have a problem with that tbh.

As for your comment earlier about the other thread, I'm still waiting...
    This is the thread where I had the chance to pick a United player but picked Özil yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

noodler wrote: »
    Kallstrom

What was that transfer all about? Injurned with no return date???

I swear the arsenal medics are either the busiest or worst there is

Meh, huge signing. Hardly ridiculous under certain criteria. Obviously hasn't been the most effective signing as I already said.

If you completely twist the parameters to come to your chosen conclusion, you can almost always find a way. There is no reasonable argument though.

If you completely twist the parameters to come to your chosen conclusion, you can almost always find a way. There is no reasonable argument though.

There were no set parameters.

• Advertisement

There were no set parameters.

No, people are just expected to use reasonable arguments, not strawman arguments to support the agenda of the club they support.

The OP left it open to interpretation. It was a bad shout under certain criteria. Signing of the season for me was between Mata and Özil, by my interpretation. Couldn't care less if you or anybody else have a problem with that tbh.

As for your comment earlier about the other thread, I'm still waiting...
    This is the thread where I had the chance to pick a United player but picked Özil yeah?

No point in boring everyone here about it. Read through the thread again and you will see a familiar trend developing with how you like to interpret a thread to suit your agenda.

No, people are just expected to use reasonable arguments, not strawman arguments to support the agenda of the club they support.
    I'll answer the way I see fit. Move along if it bothers you.

No I think I'll pick apart the ridiculousness if that's ok with you. Or even if it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness signing of the season 99% of the time usually means the player who has had the biggest positive affect on the pitch for their club over the course of the season. Along with other variables like cost of the player.

Mata would probably more accurately be described as biggest signing of the season. And even then Ozil cost more and arguably had a higher profile in world football before joining.

No point in boring everyone here about it. Read through the thread again and you will see a familiar trend developing with how you like to interpret a thread to suit your agenda.

Plenty of people interpreted that thread the same way I did. You sore because I didn't pick Suarez or something?

No I think I'll pick apart the ridiculousness if that's ok with you. Or even if it's not.

Fire away you'll be talking to yourself from here on though.

You were called out for giving Mata as an answer and now you are throwing the toys out of the pram... and then call others precious :cool:

We've been here before I think!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Juan Mata on the least to appease the utd fans. imagine if manchester united wasnt mentioned at all anywhere on a thread in the soccer forum?! outrage! kolo toure shouldnt be there either a long with many others.

flamini has been great, as has remy but for me its fernandinho - i think hes absolute boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You were called out for giving Mata as an answer and now you are throwing the toys out of the pram... and then call others precious :cool:

We've been here before I think!

Whatever about his answer how is he throwing toys out of the pram? Dealt with everything quite calmly. It's others looking for issues and he's not rising to it.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Whatever about his answer how is he throwing toys out of the pram? Dealt with everything quite calmly. It's others looking for issues and he's not rising to it.

Toys out of the pram? Tell him I lolled.
    You would think he would get the hint by now...

Liam O wrote: »

Telling people to move along and calling people precious.

Anyway, enough of that poster. Not dragging this more off topic.

Negredo for me as I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mata in a thread about signings of the season?

Amazing :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Telling people to move along and calling people precious.

Anyway, enough of that poster. Not dragging this more off topic.

Negredo for me as I said.

It's the biggest trend of his posts I've noticed. If he gets called on something then he very swiftly retorts to "not doing this anymore" or "you'll be talking to yourself". Fairly see through tbh.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Not even in the top 5,something a United fan/player should be used to this season.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Answer me this Alan.
    If Messi signed for Liverpool in January and hadn't yet played a game, say he was injured for arguments sake. Would you not consider him for signing of the season?

It's the biggest trend of his posts I've noticed. If he gets called on something then he very swiftly retorts to "not doing this anymore" or "you'll be talking to yourself". Fairly see through tbh.

I've stayed and replied to everybody here, you're talking through your hole.
    There's only so far you can take things. I'll happily step away when people stop talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

There's only so far you can take things. I'll happily step away when people stop talking about it.

Give it up.

Answer me this Alan.
    If Messi signed for Liverpool in January and hadn't yet played a game, say he was injured for arguments sake. Would you not consider him for signing of the season?

How can someone who didn't play a game be considered as the "signing of the season"?

• Advertisement

How many times have you said "you'll be talking to yourself" or something similar in this thread?

Answer me this Alan.

yes. its Lionel Messi. the world famous best player. and thats the operative word here, best. Messi would be considered "signing of the season" by any club anywhere in the world, because he is the best player. "signing of the season" would indicate the best signing of that particular season. Not only is Juan Mata not the best player in the league/world/whatever, he was only recently signed. your comparison is flawed at its most fundamental basis.

How can someone who didn't play a game be considered as the "signing of the season"?

Have you never thought to yourself after seeing a player has moved to another club "that's a great signing"?
    Or do you have to wait until a whole season has passed?

How many times have you said "you'll be talking to yourself" or something similar in this thread?
    Once.

Have you never thought to yourself after seeing a player has moved to another club "that's a great signing"?
    Or do you have to wait until a whole season has passed?

I thought Veron was a great signing for United. How did that work out? Meireles at Liverpool? Shevchenko at Chelsea?

I will always wait until a substantial amount of time has passed.

BMMachine wrote: »
    yes. its Lionel Messi. the world famous best player. and thats the operative word here, best. Messi would be considered "signing of the season" by any club anywhere in the world, because he is the best player. "signing of the season" would indicate the best signing of that particular season. Not only is Juan Mata not the best player in the league/world/whatever, he was only recently signed. your comparison is flawed at its most fundamental basis.

Just making the point that it's not all about performance for me, that's all.
    I obviously have different criteria to most others. C'est la vie.

• Advertisement

well holy sh1t. after reading this thread I see Will I amnt is actually DEFENDING mata being on that list. what I'm more curious to now is whether this is out of one of the following:
    a) - the "every little victory" mentality
    b) - doesn't have a clue about the subject at hand
    c) - I cant put this reason here as its against the charter
    I obviously have different criteria to most others. C'est la vie.
    yes, your criteria is centered around your love of your club, therefore your opinion isn't valid in any sort of objective way

Plenty of people interpreted that thread the same way I did. You sore because I didn't pick Suarez or something?

No nothing to do with suarez. I can take part in a discussion without wearing the blinkers of the team I support. Like this thread you changed the argument to suit your needs . I cant wait for your contribution to the manager of the year thread you will have your work cut out there. This is ruining a decent thread you were called up by a fair few people now on a really bad shout, happens to us all. Move on.

I thought Veron was a great signing for United. How did that work out? Meireles at Liverpool? Shevchenko at Chelsea?

I will always wait until a substantial amount of time has passed.
    Exactly. That's all I'm trying to say here. I see it as a great signing at this moment in time, in my opinion the best transfer that took place this season.

Exactly. That's all I'm trying to say here. I see it as a great signing at this moment in time, in my opinion the best transfer that took place this season.

you think the mata transfer was the best of the season? I just thought you were trying to justify his name on that list.

in answer to my previous question, it was a combo of both a) and b)

Ridiculous opinion bit everyone is entitled to one, no matter how wrong it may be.

If he gets injured at the weekend for 6 months will you out him forward as the flop of the season?

• Advertisement
Advertisement