Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL signing of the season?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No nothing to do with suarez. I can take part in a discussion without wearing the blinkers of the team I support. Like this thread you changed the argument to suit your needs . I cant wait for your contribution to the manager of the year thread you will have your work cut out there. This is ruining a decent thread you were called up by a fair few people now on a really bad shout, happens to us all. Move on.
    I'll keep on replying if that's ok with you boss...
    As I said plenty of others used the same criteria as me in that thread, maybe go and call them all out too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Negredo, easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Huddlestone has done well for hull. Was he signed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'll keep on replying if that's ok with you boss...
    As I said plenty of others used the same criteria as me in that thread, maybe go and call them all out too?

Sound because after this I wont. Its nothing to do with the criteria you used and you know that. Its your twisting of things to suit your agenda something your quite good at. The other thing your good at is not knowing when to give up which is why I wont keep posting. I wonder if mata had of signed for any other club in the league would he still be classed as signing of the season in your eyes. If you cant be a little bit objective at times there is no point in posting in threads like this.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I think some are getting confused with what transfer excited them personally the most, and what transfer has excited the league as a whole.

difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

He is against any sort of decent side. He adds so much more to us defensively than Arteta. And it's not just performances, we've been crying out for a player like him, such a vocal and passionate man. He'll always give 100% too, just look at the Bayern game.
    That game against Bayern where he was at fault for both goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Some Mata envy going on in here hehe

The people who said him seem like they thought it was the best signing for a team rather than the best performing signing over the season

How could it be the latter if there's 11 games left in the season? Or is it so far? What's the point in that case

Like the best player of the week thread which had people naming the whole Liverpool starting XI over a few months, pointless.

Anyway if it's the best performing signing so far, I'd probably pick Barry, he's been very important for Everton, or Negredo

If it's the best signing by a team, Ozil & Mata are the stand out ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Plenty of people interpreted that thread the same way I did.

I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Negredo for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I think some are getting confused with what transfer excited them personally the most, and what transfer has excited the league as a whole.

difference.

Or the old fashioned way. Who has actually done the business on the pitch?

Biggest signing is something else entirely. That was Ozil. Sometimes they can be one and the same but probably not this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Meh, huge signing. Hardly ridiculous under certain criteria. Obviously hasn't been the most effective signing as I already said.
    Dude, he belongs nowhere near the signing of the season thread, to put him there is fricking idiotic, on paper he isnt even the best that is Ozil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Biggest: Ozil

Most surprising: Mata

Most successful: Negredo

Honorable mentions: Paulinhio, Huddlestone, Barry, Navas and Lukaku

Answer me this Alan.
    If Messi signed for Liverpool in January and hadn't yet played a game, say he was injured for arguments sake. Would you not consider him for signing of the season?
    If Messi had signed for Villa and hadnt played a game for Villa, no he wouldnt be signing off the season. That should really show how ridiculous you stating Mata as signing off the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Howabout Scott Sinclair (WBA) hes been an outstanding loan signing :rolleyes:

Andy Carroll is a complete waste of space. Hes either injured or else he puts in mediocre performances on the pitch.

I doubt it.

Yes they did, go back and read that thread if you want to see for yourself.

astonaidan wrote: »
    If Messi had signed for Villa and hadnt played a game for Villa, no he wouldnt be signing off the season. That should really show how ridiculous you stating Mata as signing off the season

Why? Because you say so?
    If Messi signed for Villa I would call that signing of the season.

Train wreck of a thread!

Small victories and all that.

Thread of the season? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Assaidi!!!

Why? Because you say so?
    If Messi signed for Villa I would call that signing of the season.
    No because logic dictates a player who hasnt played a game for a team to be signing off the season. Its pure fanboy blindness to think otherwise. Screw it, Okore has been signing off the season looked good before he got injured, what ever anyone says is wrong, hes big and powerful the perfect foil for Vlaar

• Advertisement

No because logic dictates a player who hasnt played a game for a team to be signing off the season. Its pure fanboy blindness to think otherwise. Screw it, Okore has been signing off the season looked good before he got injured, what ever anyone says is wrong, hes big and powerful the perfect foil for Vlaar

So logically you're handing out signing of the season with just under 1/3 of the games left to play in the same season.

Okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If it's the best signing by a team, Ozil & Negredo are the stand out ones
    Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

One homer shout that I think deserves a mention is Vito Mannone. £2m fee and without him we'd likely be already down. He's kept 7 clean sheets in 17 in the league which is an excellent record for such a poor side, he has 9 in 22 in all competitions and has played a key role in ensuring we somehow still have a chance of survival and are in a cup final.

So logically you're handing out signing of the season with just under 1/3 of the games left to play in the same season.

Okay.
    Oh no logic has clearly been thrown out the window in this here thread, so Okore is the obvious signing off the season so far. Looked good in the few games he played, plays for the team I support and every fan off the club is excited to see more off and tbh anyone who doesnt agree with my choice is a ignorant fool with no knowledge off football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Matić.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Train wreck of a thread!

Small victories and all that.

Thread of the season? Lol

This adds to the trainwreck, as did the last page of people mocking posters for their opinion.

This comment probably does too. Ah well.

• Advertisement

Clearly people don't accept the criteria I used to be valid. That's fair enough, I'm surprised it's caused such a reaction tbh.
    Maybe I'm taking the thread title too literally in thinking the best signing to be the best acquisition of a player's signature. It doesn't seem at all outlandish to me.

I did give another answer based on who has played the best of the players that arrived this season to cover both sides of it but sure whatever...
    I'll not be defending it from here on in.

Oh no logic has clearly been thrown out the window in this here thread, so Okore is the obvious signing off the season so far. Looked good in the few games he played, plays for the team I support and every fan off the club is excited to see more off and tbh anyone who doesnt agree with my choice is a ignorant fool with no knowledge off football

"No because logic dictates a player who hasnt played a game for a team to be signing off the season."

Logic dictates best performing signing of the season needs to play a whole season and not give it out with just 2/3 of games played.

This can go on forever but the premise of the tread is just stupid and lead to different interpretations and when someone said it to you (below) you and others still went off on a patronising crusade.

"The OP left it open to interpretation. It was a bad shout under certain criteria. Signing of the season for me was between Mata and Özil, by my interpretation. Couldn't care less if you or anybody else have a problem with that tbh."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

On topic, I'd go for Ozil. Hasn't performed well for a while but he galvanised that Arsenal side at the start and helped them to get out of the traps early.

On the opposite end of the scale, there has been some woeful signings too.

Altidore, Van Wolfswinkel, Cornelius, Soldado, Lamela, Fellaini, Aspas, Alberto, Sessegnon, Jovetic, Carroll, Osvaldo, Kone. Summer 2013 really was a poor transfer window, especially for clubs trying to hit on a striker.

Don't get me wrong, injuries, new systems/clubs/managers etc have all contributed and I'm sure some of the above listed can and will turn it around, but for the money paid and their contribution this year thus far they are flops of 2013/2014 for me as things stand.

Paully D wrote: »

Altidore, Van Wolfswinkel, Cornelius, Soldado, Lamela, Fellaini, Aspas, Alberto, Sessegnon, Jovetic, Carroll, Osvaldo, Kone. Summer 2013 really was a poor transfer window, especially for clubs trying to hit on a striker.

Don't get me wrong, injuries, new systems/clubs/managers etc have all contributed and I'm sure some of the above listed can and will turn it around, but for the money paid and their contribution this year thus far they are flops of 2013/2014 for me as things stand.
    Fellaini, Carroll, Jovetic and Kone don't belong there because of their injuries. Players get injured whether they've been their a year or 5 years and need to be judged more next season. The others have all been a bit of a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

One homer shout that I think deserves a mention is Vito Mannone. £2m fee and without him we'd likely be already down. He's kept 7 clean sheets in 17 in the league which is an excellent record for such a poor side, he has 9 in 22 in all competitions and has played a key role in ensuring we somehow still have a chance of survival and are in a cup final.

Yeah he has played really well, has really performed well for ye.

(Who's your 2nd choice keeper now)

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Yeah he has played really well, has really performed well for ye.

(Who's your 2nd choice keeper now)

Ustari, the former Football Manager legend :) He has performed well in the couple of cup games he has played so far, looks like capable backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Plenty of people interpreted that thread the same way I did.

No they didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Surely signing of the season has to also show why a team signed him. Saying Mata is a bit ridiculous. I interpret it as a signing that has done really well.

Negredo probably just ahead of Barry for me.

"No because logic dictates a player who hasnt played a game for a team to be signing off the season."

Logic dictates best performing signing of the season needs to play a whole season and not give it out with just 2/3 of games played.

This can go on forever but the premise of the tread is just stupid and lead to different interpretations and when someone said it to you (below) you and others still went off on a patronising crusade.

"The OP left it open to interpretation. It was a bad shout under certain criteria. Signing of the season for me was between Mata and Özil, by my interpretation. Couldn't care less if you or anybody else have a problem with that tbh."
    And Im saying Okore is singing off the season and I really dont care if ye dont agree, he has everything Villa is missing at present.
    Now since we all know the thread means which player is the best performing signing this season, off course Okore, Mata and to a lower extend Ozil dont fit the criteria.
    But sure this isnt what this is all about, this is about our clubs sure are great and we need our names mentioned in every thread, but this is just coming from stupid fan boys

CSF wrote: »
    Fellaini, Carroll, Jovetic and Kone don't belong there because of their injuries. Players get injured whether they've been their a year or 5 years and need to be judged more next season. The others have all been a bit of a disaster.
    Id also have Cornelius for Cardiff in that bracket, he got injured at the start off the season, I think he could come really strong next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Id also have Cornelius for Cardiff in that bracket, he got injured at the start off the season, I think he could come really strong next year

Won't be in the PL anyway as Cardiff sold him back to Copenhagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Willian was one I never thought would come so good. It felt like he was only signed so that others couldn't have him, but he's quality.

Won't be in the PL anyway as Cardiff sold him back to Copenhagen.
    I know yeah, but I see him coming back strong and maybe in the summer get a move again, just think he was unlucky to get a injury when he did and a bit harsh to brand him in the flop section.

I know yeah, but I see him coming back strong and maybe in the summer get a move again, just think he was unlucky to get a injury when he did and a bit harsh to brand him in the flop section.
    I'd say that is unlikely.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    No they didn't

Yeah they did. Here, knock yourself out... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057065283

OP even included in the poll, players that clearly had done nothing at that point in the season. I assumed it wasn't going by form, as did many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Theres plenty of competition for signing of the season.... Negredo, barry/mccarthy, ozil, the list goes on.

Best value for money signing of the season for me is the boy Bacuna, a snip at 1m

This adds to the trainwreck, as did the last page of people mocking posters for their opinion.

This comment probably does too. Ah well.

Agreed

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Matić.

The same one who has started four, yes four games so far and cost £21M to join Chelsea.. again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mata.

By my criteria the most woeful signing of the season has been Juan Mata.

£36million for a player Chelsea didn't want and United didn't need, not even eligible for the champions league and probably going to be wasted by Moyes.

Using this very specific yet valid criteria Juan Mata has been the worst signing this season.

By my criteria the most woeful signing of the season has been Juan Mata.

£36million for a player Chelsea didn't want and United didn't need, not even eligible for the champions league and probably going to be wasted by Moyes.

Using this very specific yet valid criteria Juan Mata has been the worst signing this season.
    Wrong thread dude, this is the best signing thread not the worst. Back on topic now.

Wrong thread dude, this is the best signing thread not the worst. Back on topic now.

I responded to a very specific and valid post by another poster. You can tell this because using the boards quote function I quoted that particular post in my own reply. You are welcome.

I responded to a very specific and valid post by another poster. You can tell this because using the boards quote function I quoted that particular post in my own reply. You are welcome.
    Zzzzzzz...
    You're boring me now. You might think it was a valid post you were replying to but it wasn't , it's the complete opposite of what this thread is for and this is dragging it further off topic so I'm out for now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Zzzzzzz...
    You're boring me now. You might think it was a valid post you were replying to but it wasn't , it's the complete opposite of what this thread is for and this is dragging it further off topic so I'm out for now.

Yet again, avoiding a conversation because it doesn't suit your opinion. 4th time in this thread by my reckoning.

Advertisement