Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL signing of the season?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yet again, avoiding a conversation because it doesn't suit your opinion. 4th time in this thread by my reckoning.

Avoiding the conversation?? Really??
    What conversation is this I'm avoiding?
    Tell me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I would say Negredo, 23 goals in his debut season so far.

Then it would be Paulinho and Fernandinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

CSF wrote: »
    I'd say that is unlikely.
    How so hes highly rated in Denmark, Id be surprised if he didnt get a move back to a bigger league, more likely Germany than England but cant see a player with the talent he has staying in Denmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah they did. Here, knock yourself out... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057065283

OP even included in the poll, players that clearly had done nothing at that point in the season. I assumed it wasn't going by form, as did many others.
    I knocked myself out and can't find one person who interpreted the question the same way as you. You said there would be "plenty".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I read through 13 pages of this thread on my phone . To me signing of the season has to be Gareth Barry or lukaku . They have really helped Everton this year . Mata and Ozil are great signings but they cost 40 and 37 million . So you know they are quality . This thread should focus on players who have helped their team immensely and also would be considered value for money .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Huddlestone, Barry (not sure signing on loan counts), Flamini are very good signings.

I'm very much impressed with Negredo, I knew he was good but never thought he would be so good.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I knocked myself out and can't find one person who interpreted the question the same way as you. You said there would be "plenty".
    *Sigh*
    First page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87107008&postcount=17
    That was my interpretation, did you even know what you were looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

*Sigh*
    First page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87107008&postcount=17
    That was my interpretation, did you even know what you were looking for?

I'm not sure if that's backing up anybody picking Mata. Mata is the only player in that list that was bought in January, I'd say that leaves him at a disadvantage compared to the others, no CL football as well apparently! Transfer coup of January title goes to United and Mata!

Barry, Fernandinho and Negredo for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

One has to say Everton did some great business in their signings in the summer.
    And yes I am including loan deals in that.
    Lukaku and Barry have aided the team immensly.
    McCarthy has been a good long term signing.
    Oh and best of all they managed to con a major wad of cash out of united for fellaini whilst they hung onto Baines.

By the end of the season I reckon people will see Hull's signing of Huddlestone, Long and Jelavic as a smart bit of business.

Value for money signing has to be Flamini.

As for the big money guys I think Negredo, Fernandhino have been the best value and contributed most so far.

I am not allowed discuss …

K-9 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's backing up anybody picking Mata. Mata is the only player in that list that was bought in January, I'd say that leaves him at a disadvantage compared to the others, no CL football as well apparently! Transfer coup of January title goes to United and Mata!

Barry, Fernandinho and Negredo for me.

It's not. That wasn't the argument at all, I wish people would read stuff before jumping in.
    Not you btw, you're just passing comment on something.

This was stemming from a conversation with Iusedtolikebusts, where he said I twisted the question in that thread to suit my apparent agenda. I said plenty of people used the same criteria I did in that thread, which is clear to see.

Fair enough if I voted a United player in that thread but I voted Özil, which I'm finding hard to understand why he thought I twisted it to vote him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

K-9 wrote: »
    Transfer coup of January title goes to United and Mata!

I wouldn't even call it a transfer coup . It suited everyone involved . Chelsea got a big payday , man utd got a quality player and the player is getting a game .
    The only smart thing that was done throughout the whole of the mata transfer was man utd keeping Chelsea at arms length . So they couldn't ask for a player off them in return .
    I'm not saying mata is a bad or anything like that but I just don't see it as a coup .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

astonaidan wrote: »
    How so hes highly rated in Denmark, Id be surprised if he didnt get a move back to a bigger league, more likely Germany than England but cant see a player with the talent he has staying in Denmark
    Not in the speed of timeframe you were talking about though. I wouldn't rule out him making a comeback but teams will be reluctant to take a risk so soon, if teams were interested in him in the short-term they'd have come in for him in January.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

This was stemming from a conversation with Iusedtolikebusts, where he said I twisted the question in that thread to suit my apparent agenda. I said plenty of people used the same criteria I did in that thread, which is clear to see.

That is fair enough and most threads are subjective and open to everyone's matter of opinion.

people see things differently - aint the human nature great !

but you went and tried to narrow it and make out there some sort of a witch hunt against the team you support..
    A case of I'm an ABU just disagreeing for the sake of it...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89163955&postcount=46

Agueroooo wrote: »
    That is fair enough and most threads are subjective and open to everyone's matter of opinion.

people see things differently - aint the human nature great !

but you went and tried to narrow it and make out there some sort of a witch hunt against the team you support..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89163955&postcount=46
    Read the post I was replying to with that comment. The first line in particular.
    It was just replying in kind.

Just being a smart arse is all, didn't mean anything by that line.

CSF wrote: »
    Not in the speed of timeframe you were talking about though. I wouldn't rule out him making a comeback but teams will be reluctant to take a risk so soon, if teams were interested in him in the short-term they'd have come in for him in January.
    I was probably being a bit optimistic thinking summer, next January or summer 2015 I think he will be back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It's not. That wasn't the argument at all, I wish people would read stuff before jumping in.
    Not you btw, you're just passing comment on something.

Fair enough if I voted a United player in that thread but I voted Özil, which I'm finding hard to understand why he thought I twisted it to vote him.

Don't know why I bother but read page 20-22 of that best player right now thread and you will see you are up to your usual tricks. Of course you will argue that's just your interpretation that's what you tend to do when the argument doesn't suit you. To be calling me ABU is fairly ridiculous when its fairly obvious that you cant get into an impartial debate without wearing your clubs colours.

Don't know why I bother but read page 20-22 of that best player right now thread and you will see you are up to your usual tricks. Of course you will argue that's just your interpretation that's what you tend to do when the argument doesn't suit you. To be calling me ABU is fairly ridiculous when its fairly obvious that you cant get into an impartial debate without wearing your clubs colours.
    Up to my usual tricks?
    My agenda?
    My twisting of threads?
    You have your mind made up on me already, so not much point in banging the same drum over again.

I seem to have got under your skin a bit, I honestly don't remember you from that thread, maybe don't take it so personally next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jmayo wrote: »
    One has to say Everton did some great business in their signings in the summer.
    And yes I am including loan deals in that.
    Lukaku and Barry have aided the team immensly.
    McCarthy has been a good long term signing.
    Oh and best of all they managed to con a major wad of cash out of united for fellaini whilst they hung onto Baines.

By the end of the season I reckon people will see Hull's signing of Huddlestone, Long and Jelavic as a smart bit of business.

Value for money signing has to be Flamini.

As for the big money guys I think Negredo, Fernandhino have been the best value and contributed most so far.

Conning a major wad of cash for a player who cost 16m and has been their standout performer pretty much since joining. It could be argued that United made a mistake not getting him earlier when he had a release clause but there was a bit of bad blood between the 2 clubs at that point. Fellaini would improve every top 4 midfield bar maybe City's and even then probably would. I love that other fans have turned him into a joke figure when if you asked them last season they'd be saying how good he was, maybe it's because he's not getting them fantasy points this season. Don't forget he was playing with an injury pretty much since he joined in a team that was in disarray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liam O wrote: »
    Fellaini would improve every top 4 midfield bar maybe City's and even then probably would.

I think he played by far his best football for Everton when Moyes played him up near the striker. He scored a fair few goals and got a few assists from winning headers. Not sure how many midfields of the current top 4 clubs he would get in to be honest. As first choice anyway. From a Liverpool perspective I just don't think he's a Rodgers type player. Definitely wouldn't start ahead of either Toure or Fernandinho at City. Maybe at Arsenal but I think Flamini provides a leadership role there that Fellani might not. Possibly instead of Arteta but was Arteta even first choice when they had everyone fit and available? Would have to ask an Arsenal fan.

Up to my usual tricks?
    My agenda?
    My twisting of threads?
    You have your mind made up on me already, so not much point in banging the same drum over again.

I seem to have got under your skin a bit, I honestly don't remember you from that thread, maybe don't take it so personally next time.

Dont post in the general soccer thread too often so its easy enough to spot posters like you. Anyway you can be sure a lot of people will remember you after this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

I love that other fans have turned him into a joke figure when if you asked them last season they'd be saying how good he was, maybe it's because he's not getting them fantasy points this season.

And the very opposite being done with Barry this year! Totally agree. I think Moyes has already identified the problem in Midfield with Utd, and has been unlucky with Fellaini with injuries. However I think he will turn into a great signing for Utd, if they were to add a third to that midfield, someone like Dembele for instance. A trio of Carrick/Fellaini/Dembele would dominate nearly any midfield contests that would come up against them in the Premiership. I'd expect I'll get berated for how silly I am in my opinion, but I believe that is how Moyes is looking to sort his midfield out. If/When it happens, the plauditts will be all back to how nobody ever doubted him and how he is the most underated player in the league.

Dont post in the general soccer thread too often so its easy enough to spot posters like you. Anyway you can be sure a lot of people will remember you after this thread.
    Posters like me?
    How's about you tell me why my opinion is wrong to you rather than hark back to a different thread where you failed miserably to understand what I was trying to say to you and use that as some kind of attempt to prove anything.

It's actually laughable how badly you missed my point in that other thread.

Posters like me?
    How's about you tell me why my opinion is wrong to you rather than hark back to a different thread where you failed miserably to understand what I was trying to say to you and use that as some kind of attempt to prove anything.

It's actually laughable how badly you missed my point in that other thread.
    Your opinion is wrong in this thread cause under no criteria is Mata signing off the season. If its for best performance from a signing since the start off the season he doesnt win it. If its for best value he doesnt win it. If its for biggest signing he doesnt win it that clearly is Ozil.
    Now if you were to say biggest signing in January, yeah Id go along with that, I dont think United needed him but it could be leading to RVP moving on and Rooney becoming the main striker again

Your opinion is wrong in this thread cause under no criteria is Mata signing off the season. If its for best performance from a signing since the start off the season he doesnt win it. If its for best value he doesnt win it. If its for biggest signing he doesnt win it that clearly is Ozil.
    Now if you were to say biggest signing in January, yeah Id go along with that, I dont think United needed him but it could be leading to RVP moving on and Rooney becoming the main striker again
    I would have said Özil myself had he not looked pretty average, lazy and disinterested for a long time now. It was between the 2 of them for me as I said already.

I would have said Özil myself had he not looked pretty average, lazy and disinterested for a long time now. It was between the 2 of them for me as I said already.
    Not really a long time, he had a bad month and well comparing his start to Matas start there is a clear winner. Ozil is the best 10 in the world, Mata wasnt even the best ten at Chelsea

Not really a long time, he had a bad month and well comparing his start to Matas start there is a clear winner. Ozil is the best 10 in the world, Mata wasnt even the best ten at Chelsea

That's obviously your opinion.

Look, my choice will probably change by the end of the season, maybe this thread would have been better off then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Conning a major wad of cash for a player who cost 16m and has been their standout performer pretty much since joining. It could be argued that United made a mistake not getting him earlier when he had a release clause but there was a bit of bad blood between the 2 clubs at that point. Fellaini would improve every top 4 midfield bar maybe City's and even then probably would. I love that other fans have turned him into a joke figure when if you asked them last season they'd be saying how good he was, maybe it's because he's not getting them fantasy points this season. Don't forget he was playing with an injury pretty much since he joined in a team that was in disarray.

Fellaini on current form wouldn't get near Arsenal's midfield. Playing in a more advanced role ahead of Wilshere, Cazorla, Ozil, Ramsey etc no chance. Ahead of Flamini or Arteta again no chance, although there is a possibility we will be looking to strengthen there this summer as Arteta does seem to be on the wane a small bit he has had a few below par performances this season compared to last year.

Also on the Mata argument it is completely and utterly ridiculous to include him.

From a neutral point of view it has to be Negredo don't think anyone expected him to be as good as he has turned out to be, from an Arsenal point of view Flamini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I think, Simon Mignolet is a decent goalkeeper alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Chelsea player of the year history (see last two years)

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »

I'd imagine he meant this season, ie he wasn't wanted or needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Clearly people don't accept the criteria I used to be valid. That's fair enough, I'm surprised it's caused such a reaction tbh.
    Maybe I'm taking the thread title too literally in thinking the best signing to be the best acquisition of a player's signature. It doesn't seem at all outlandish to me.

I did give another answer based on who has played the best of the players that arrived this season to cover both sides of it but sure whatever...
    I'll not be defending it from here on in.

Your criteria for mentioning Mata was perfectly valid. There's a very strong argument to say that he is the biggest signing of the season - one of the best players in the league, moving between two of the biggest clubs. Mentioning one of the biggest signings of the season as one of the best, makes perfect sense. The question was explicitly open to interpretation from the first post.

The fact that some posters want to make such an issue out of your reasonable answer to an open question says a lot about their motives.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine he meant this season, ie he wasn't wanted or needed.

He was still talking bollocks. To discount Mata and describe Ozil as "clearly" the biggest signing of the season is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pro. F wrote: »
    Your criteria for mentioning Mata was perfectly valid. There's a very strong argument to say that he is the biggest signing of the season - one of the best players in the league, moving between two of the biggest clubs. Mentioning one of the biggest signings of the season as one of the best, makes perfect sense. The question was explicitly open to interpretation from the first post.

The fact that some posters want to make such an issue out of your reasonable answer to an open question says a lot about their motives.

I think it was clear which angle they were all going for from the start, summed up in this post

But sure this isnt what this is all about, this is about our clubs sure are great and we need our names mentioned in every thread, but this is just coming from stupid fan boys

Precious bunch.

Good man Pro F, if even only one person understands where I'm coming from with that pick then I'm happy enough with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In that case, what about Ozil? He actually suits his new team's style of play and has made an impact this season. A far bigger candidate than Mata, yet even most Arsenal fans aren't mentioning him.

If the best signing of the season was about what impact the player could possibly have in the future, we'd have this thread in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

AdamD wrote: »
    In that case, what about Ozil? He actually suits his new team's style of play and has made an impact this season. A far bigger candidate than Mata, yet even most Arsenal fans aren't mentioning him.

If the best signing of the season was about what impact the player could possibly have in the future, we'd have this thread in September.

And if it was a thread for best performing signing of the premier league season, we'd have this thread in May.

Not with 11 games left to play

AdamD wrote: »

Putting forward the biggest signing of the season as a candidate for the best signing of the season is perfectly reasonable.

Still maintain that it is a bit absurd to say Mata is the singing of the season. Even if you completely discounted actual impact on the pitch and just went by what was the biggest signing of the season. You'd have to say it was Ozil rather than Mata as he cost more and is a higher profile player worldwide. Plus Ozil at least has played almost a full season and not a very small handful of games. And to be fair not many are even putting Ozil forward.

Hey it's all opinion and we all have our personal biases but I just don't see the logic behind that one but everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it's wrong.

Still maintain that it is a bit absurd to say Mata is the singing of the season. Even if you completely discounted actual impact on the pitch and just went by what was the biggest signing of the season. You'd have to say it was Ozil rather than Mata as he cost more and is a higher profile player worldwide. Plus Ozil at least has played almost a full season and not a very small handful of games. And to be fair not many are even putting Ozil forward.

Hey it's all opinion and we all have our personal biases but I just don't see the logic behind that one but everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it's wrong.

There was very little in the difference in their two prices as far as I'm aware.

Height of world wide fame is obviously not a useful way of judging a player. For all of Ozil's world wide fame, Mata is much more EPL proven and was moving within the league between two of the biggest teams.

There was very little in the difference in their two prices as far as I'm aware.

Height of world wide fame is obviously not a useful way of judging a player. For all of Ozil's world wide fame, Mata is much more EPL proven and was moving within the league between two of the biggest teams.

Ozil is still a bigger signing by those standards. There is just no other way around it. Bigger fee, bigger name. And that's discounting anything done on the actual pitch.

He was still one of Real Madrid's top players when Arsenal signed him. Mata (good player though he is) was on the bench every week for Chelsea.

• Advertisement

Ozil is still a bigger signing by those standards. There is just no other way around it. Bigger fee, bigger name. And that's discounting anything done on the actual pitch.

Ozil:
    - bigger fee by a tiny margin. (I'm open to correction on that if you have any evidence to the contrary)
    - more famous amongst people who don't follow football

Mata:
    - Far more EPL proven
    - Easily as good a player
    - Moving within the league between two of the league's biggest clubs (in terms of spending and where they should finish most seasons)

Putting forward the biggest signing of the season as a candidate for the best signing of the season is perfectly reasonable.

It would, but that would be Ozil! The OP is so open Mata qualifies, but he'll need to have some 11 games to get it. A good few thought Soldado would be in the running for the golden boot, look how that worked out! (Mata will have a very good spell at United)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ozil:
    more famous amongst people who don't follow football

I would say Ozil is more well known amongst football followers as well. Tough on Mata as Spain are so strong but he's not a regular in his national side while Ozil is arguably the biggest star in the German team. Ozil was one of the main stars in arguably the biggest club in the world at Real Madrid. Again by those standards the answer keeps coming back to Ozil

And by the way Ozil wouldn't be my signing of the season but going by the parameters of ignoring impact on the pitch he almost definitely is the biggest signing of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Probably about time to let the United fans have the little victories. This could go seriously back and forth.

Will I amnt must have been correct all along as now a few more totally non biased man utd fans have come along to conclude that Mata was indeed the signing of the season.

Will I amnt must have been correct all along as now a few more totally non biased man utd fans have come along to conclude that Mata was indeed the signing of the season.

Lol at the idea of me being biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mata will have absolutely no impact on United's season this year. United have nothing to play for in the league and he's ineligible for the CL.

Threads a joke if we are relying on the opinions of a couple of posters, everybody else seemed to get what signing of the season meant. Seems an obvious wind up at this stage.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Mata will have absolutely no impact on United's season this year. United have nothing to play for in the league and he's ineligible for the CL.

I agree, he will have little importance this season. I also happen to think that he wasn't the best use of money considering how the team play and what other areas needed more urgent fixing. But none of that changes the fact that he was one of the biggest signings of the season and putting that type of signing forward as one of the "best on paper" was perfectly reasonable.

The posters making such a big issue out of what Will I Amnt posted were doing so for some reason other than a desire of objectivity in the discussion.

I would say Ozil is more well known amongst football followers as well. Tough on Mata as Spain are so strong but he's not a regular in his national side while Ozil is arguably the biggest star in the German team. Ozil was one of the main stars in arguably the biggest club in the world at Real Madrid. Again by those standards the answer keeps coming back to Ozil

And by the way Ozil wouldn't be my signing of the season but going by the parameters of ignoring impact on the pitch he almost definitely is the biggest signing of the season.

There is nobody who has a respectable knowledge about football who doesn't know who Mata is and how good he is. Both Mata and Ozil are well known to anybody whose opinion is relevant to a discussion like this.

The fact that Ozil is a star for Germany and that Mata hasn't been able to get into a much better Spain team, proves what? It proves that Ozil will be more famous among the non-football followers again, but there's no reason for us to concern ourselves with their opinions. Do you think it proves that Ozil is a better player? Because if you do, I strongly disagree.

Ozil was one of the main stars at Real Madrid, but left the club because of their usual nonsense. So what? Does that make him a better or more important player, or does it, once again, just make him more famous amongst people who don't follow football?

By your measures of famousness the answer keeps coming back to Ozil. If you measure quality of the player and likelihood of that type of signing the answer comes to Mata.

• Advertisement
Advertisement