Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY home alarm system recommendation

Options
  • 24-02-2014 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭

I don't frequent this forum and after a quick search came up with no useful info.

I'm looking for a fairly basic wireless home alarm system with the following:

1. 8-10 contact sensors
    2. 4-6 PIR sensors
    3. mobile phone notification function (this is referrred to as GSM isn't it?)
    4. external strobe/siren unit to serve predominantly as a visual deterrent prior

I'm not interested in any CCTV at the minute. I'm fairly handy and since everthing is wireless anyway (except the siren and panel right?) a diy install seems preferable.

Can anybody recommend a system that will suit my needs, or alternatively a (approved) installer. Are any of the eBay kits worth considering? What are the main points to look out for/avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I don't frequent this forum and after a quick search came up with no useful info.

I'm looking for a fairly basic wireless home alarm system with the following:

1. 8-10 contact sensors
    2. 4-6 PIR sensors
    3. mobile phone notification function (this is referrred to as GSM isn't it?)
    4. external strobe/siren unit to serve predominantly as a visual deterrent prior

I'm not interested in any CCTV at the minute. I'm fairly handy and since everthing is wireless anyway (except the siren and panel right?) a diy install seems preferable.

Can anybody recommend a system that will suit my needs, or alternatively a (approved) installer. Are any of the eBay kits worth considering? What are the main points to look out for/avoid?

Thanks in advance.

You could have a crack off the HKC Quantum, it ticks all your points above. You require mobile phone notification, do you have a phone line in your house? If so then that will save you on buying a GSM card which is a seperate add on unit to the panel which already has a PSTN dialler onboard which will text or ring mobile phones.
    Bear in mind also that Insurance companies will not recognise self installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

It seems the HKC Quantum 70 comes highly recommended throughout. I have a landline indeed - so I need to look out for an onboard PSTN dialler then?

Is DIY straight forward enough? I suppose I need to contact my insurance company and find out how much of a saving is on the table for an approved install vs DIY. A DIY installed alarm is probably not recognized by them at all. IIRC we're with Aviva.

Where is the best place to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

T-Maxx wrote: »
    It seems the HKC Quantum 70 comes highly recommended throughout. I have a landline indeed - so I need to look out for an onboard PSTN dialler then?

Is DIY straight forward enough? I suppose I need to contact my insurance company and find out how much of a saving is on the table for an approved install vs DIY. A DIY installed alarm is probably not recognized by them at all. IIRC we're with Aviva.

Where is the best place to buy?

The dialer itself is built into the control panel. It is an easy install if you dont mind wiring into your mains or a socket. The GSM its self will give you remote access to the control panel for setting and unsetting of the system as well as text alerts. With your landline you can also receive alerts. If your with UPC it will ring you rather than text. It will give a zone discription for each zone activated.
    The saving the insurance companys off is not worth it. The system has to be serviced every year to maintain the standard it is installed to. The insurance companys discount wont reflect this.
    The best place to start is the suppliers list here for pricing.

Advertisement