Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest outside NUIG

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

According to the advertiser on facebook there have been clashes after posters were torn down and Gardai have been called.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Looks like a serious non event in those videos. Do students need the guards on standby for a slightly spirited exchange of views now? These guys might be more at home in drama soc than in student politics.

Also it seems kind of unfair to name and shame a particular family. We all have the right to public protest. I don't feel comfortable at all with any rebuttal that's based on shaming people with views other than my own. We have seen the dangers of tearing people to shreds on the internet and these guys as misguided kids really, we aren't talking journos with a public platform to influence the masses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Looks like a serious non event in those videos. Do students need the guards on standby for a slightly spirited exchange of views now? These guys might be more at home in drama soc than in student politics.

Also it seems kind of unfair to name and shame a particular family. We all have the right to public protest. I don't feel comfortable at all with any rebuttal that's based on shaming people with views other than my own. We have seen the dangers of tearing people to shreds on the internet and these guys as misguided kids really, we aren't talking journos with a public platform to influence the masses here.

Its not a public protest though, its a protest on college grounds. Have non students (said family's father) a right to protest on college grounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Its not a public protest though, its a protest on college grounds. Have non students (said family's father) a right to protest on college grounds?

no idea about the legality of his protest but im sure as a taxpayer he has helped fund the college so some leeway should be given if he is peacefully protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I wasn't there but I think there were people going as far as trying to tip over their stand or something so, in that sense, I can understand why they would have felt entitled to call the Guards.

I wrote the short piece Das linked to and made the decision to name Burke specifically because he is running for such a prominent position in the college (Equality Officer) and given his already prominent position as auditor of Christian Soc.

I guess it's a matter of how much (in this case) gay students should be expected to put up with in the name of tolerating other opinions. Masses of posters equating homosexuality with incest and paedophilia where you walk past every day? Maybe. But I can understand why people were angry enough to instinctively want to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

no idea about the legality of his protest but im sure as a taxpayer he has helped fund the college so some leeway should be given if he is peacefully protesting.

That's an interesting note. I would guess it's still private property though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

There are lots of things the tax payers fund but wouldnt be allowed to protest in. This is an SU matter and there is a person on the campus with no connection to the college slandering a group of students.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I wasn't there but I think there were people going as far as trying to tip over their stand or something so, in that sense, I can understand why they would have felt entitled to call the Guards.

I wrote the short piece Das linked to and made the decision to name Burke specifically because he is running for such a prominent position in the college (Equality Officer) and given his already prominent position as auditor of Christian Soc.

I guess it's a matter of how much (in this case) gay students should be expected to put up with in the name of tolerating other opinions. Masses of posters equating homosexuality with incest and paedophilia where you walk past every day? Maybe. But I can understand why people were angry enough to instinctively want to remove them.

I thought it was a fair piece and well writen,I liked your final line!:D I didn't link to your article or quote it because I wasn't responding to it when I said I was uncomfortable with naming and shaming the people involved. You weren't doing any shaming. There were a plethora of comments on fb and elsewhere about them and I was more referring to that and making them,particularly a 20 yr old guy,a figure for mass abuse.

I agree too realistically that they might have felt need of assistance if there was only 3 or 4 against the crowd so I was unfair really in saying they should be able to police themselves.
    I find their views reprehensible too for the record. I hadn't realised how extreme they were,it is pushing the limits of acceptable but it still has to be met with non physically intimidating response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There are lots of things the tax payers fund but wouldnt be allowed to protest in. This is an SU matter and there is a person on the campus with no connection to the college slandering a group of students.

I do not agree with his stance however I do agree with his right to peacefull protest. If he should not be on campus its up to the college to get an injunction to stop him being in or near the college and who ever he is slandering can also use the court system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are lots of things the tax payers fund but wouldnt be allowed to protest in.

The runway at Shannon springs to mind.

However there are people who think that someone who does protest there should not face any consequences due to their actions!

Good on them for the protests. What was it the Burkes were saying that linked being gay to being a peadophile? The poster shown doesn't directly link it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Good on them for the protests. What was it the Burkes were saying that linked being gay to being a peadophile? The poster shown doesn't directly link it

Leaflet aka "gayz = paedoz" http://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/p370x247/1962850_760220377355424_1595328678_n.jpg

poster 1 aka "Unresolved Issues like those damned wife-swapping sodomites": https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/q77/s720x720/1948180_760494300661365_303491417_n.jpg

Poster 2 aka "Abortions for none, miniature grand pianos for all!" : https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/q71/s720x720/1506908_760482607329201_2136240097_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I predict a high voter turnout in the student elections this year, thanks to the Burkes. Well done, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is just another Burke/SU/NUIG thread now.
    Is there a city angle in all this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

biko wrote: »
    This is just another Burke/SU/NUIG thread now.
    Is there a city angle in all this?
    Geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see it's now in AH too.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Wompa1 wrote: »

The way I read it, it's not quite saying that homosexual people are paedophiles. It's more that they believe homosexuality and paedophilia are comparable in terms of how they should be treated by society. Never mind the fact that someone of the same gender is physically and mentally your equal and can givel legal consent. As opposed to a child. :rolleyes:

So, one of these lads is auditor of the Christian Society. Surely there are Christians in that society who don't support these views. Do they really want to be represented like that? Or is that society made up of people like him?:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dutchess wrote: »
    The way I read it, it's not quite saying that homosexual people are paedophiles. It's more that they believe homosexuality and paedophilia are comparable in terms of how they should be treated by society. Never mind the fact that someone of the same gender is physically and mentally your equal and can givel legal consent. As opposed to a child. :rolleyes:

So, one of these lads is auditor of the Christian Society. Surely there are Christians in that society who don't support these views. Do they really want to be represented like that? Or is that society made up of people like him?:(
    The Christian Union Society *is* the Burkes. Ditto Lifesoc. (Source).

It has been noted elsewhere that since they're very much into the Old Testament over the New and use Leviticus to justify their idiocy, they should rightly be stoned for wearing garments of mixed fabrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

When I was in NUIG, the Christian Soc were just a bunch of people who would sing in the halls sometimes and have masses and meetings amongst themselves. Had a few friends involved in it and the Soc always kept to itself pretty much. It wasn't controversial at all.

I don't know what's happened in the last year or two but there are Socs popping up that previously didn't exist, like the Legion of Mary Soc and Life Soc and it seems to be radicalising the Christian societies as a whole and pushing them into the politics of the college.

So there's a bit of misinformation out there then. They didn't directly link homosexuality to paedophilia. I'm not sticking up for them but lies do make the baby Jesus cry :pac:

I would imagine those in the Society that oppose his views just won't vote for him or stand by him.

All in all as noble as peaceful protesting for what you believe in is (though they should have asked for permission before doing so), both sides didn't drape themselves in any glory. Not sure why the pro-crowd felt the need to follow after the other crowd when they were leaving and the whole claims of the other side saying being gay=being a paedophile. The other crowd calling the Gardai and jumping in front of their poster is ridiculous. But on the plus side, it all happened in the University so it didn't get in the way of the non-student population. Yay!

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

So the results of the elections and referendum are in. Tough break, Enoch, the swing votes just didn't go your way.....

http://www.su.nuigalway.ie/index.php/component/k2/item/895-su-part-time-officer-elections-referendum-result

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

113 votes for Burke as Equality Officer
    114 votes for "No" to Supporting SSM

Advertisement