Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give up after Additional Maternity Leave

Options
  • 24-02-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'd appreciate if anyone could help my with this matter.. I am a mother of two kids (4y&8mth) and nearly finish my Additional Maternity Leave. I am employed full time but consider about back to work as the cost of Child Care will be higher than what I earn. I can not do shifts work ,as it is normal office hours. I really like my job but it would be just unreal and impossible to back on my current condition. Does anybody know how to give proper notice to employer and then SW to not be disqualified from social benefits I am entailed to. I have already asked employer if there is an option to back on Part Time(weekends) but no response yet. My idea is to find different work on Part Time which lets us to avoid high costs of Child Care in Dublin.
    Will be any issue for SW when I quit from work myself because can not afford childcare costs?
    Thanks and regards. .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I didn't think you qualified for any sw benefits if you quit work? I quit work after my second for the exact same reasons as yourself. ..but just took it that because I was resigning I wasn't entitled to anything. I couldn't see why i would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Can you apply for parental leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'd appreciate if anyone could help my with this matter.. I am a mother of two kids (4y&8mth) and nearly finish my Additional Maternity Leave. I am employed full time but consider about back to work as the cost of Child Care will be higher than what I earn. I can not do shifts work ,as it is normal office hours. I really like my job but it would be just unreal and impossible to back on my current condition. Does anybody know how to give proper notice to employer and then SW to not be disqualified from social benefits I am entailed to. I have already asked employer if there is an option to back on Part Time(weekends) but no response yet. My idea is to find different work on Part Time which lets us to avoid high costs of Child Care in Dublin.
    Will be any issue for SW when I quit from work myself because can not afford childcare costs?
    Thanks and regards. .

The rules could of changed but if you voluntary leave your job you get disqualified from job seekers benefit (if you have enough Prsi) for 9 weeks. You will only then get it for 9 months (minus the 9 weeks) and then go onto the means tested Jobseeker's Allowance where your OH's income will be looked at. I think some new thing came in about parental leave that if you take it you can ask your employer for different working conditions however there is no guarantee that they will give them but maybe you wouldn't be disqualified from SW for 9 weeks? Another think to bear in mind Is the crazy price of part time childcare in dublin but maybe you wouldn't need it? Also I hear you now need to prove your are actively looking for work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you volunteer to give up a paid job you are entitled to nothing.

Can you try finding a different model of childcare? Childminder? Or use some parental leave.

Or apply for a different job.

Or, figure out a way to get a big raise! :D Can you upskill in any way? That's my plan. I'm trying to do some study on mat leave and get another few exams under the belt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

unfortunately stay at home mothers are only entitled to the same benefits as if they worked which is Child benefit but maybe as a family you might be entitled to Dis if your partner is a lower earner or maybe a medical card?

I think it comes down to Do you want to go back to work?

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    unfortunately stay at home mothers are only entitled to the same benefits as if they worked which is Child benefit but maybe as a family you might be entitled to Dis if your partner is a lower earner or maybe a medical card?

I think it comes down to Do you want to go back to work?

Moonbeam OP said that she will be looking for "different work on a part time basis" therefore is she not a "Jobseeker". Good idea about looking into family income supplement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 motherpower

Thanks everyone for your replies. I just want to add that I have asked my employer if there is possibility of doing weekends/part time work . I am still waiting for reply. If I won’t have that option, even if I really would like to come back to work, I will have to leave it for simple reason: creche for two kids costs more than I earn. My plan is to look for part time work and I will simple proof that action to SW. I have been working full time for last 7years and have all contributions paid. So why should they disqualify me from job seekers benefit if staying at that particular job would means I will have to add money to keep working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

It is my understanding that if you leave work voluntarily you cannot get a jobseeker’s payment for 9 weeks. But after the 9 Weeks you get it

More info here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/signing_on.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You can't decide to change your work hours though. It doesn't matter if you're prepared to work part time. Your employer has to keep the job that you left open. If this was a full time job that's what you return to. If they agree to oart time hours that's great but they don't have to.

It really is a crap situation. Like I say im in it myself. .though I've gone back to work on a short term basis to bridge the gap in my work experience. .but child care costs are keeping so many out of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks everyone for your replies. I just want to add that I have asked my employer if there is possibility of doing weekends/part time work . I am still waiting for reply. If I won’t have that option, even if I really would like to come back to work, I will have to leave it for simple reason: creche for two kids costs more than I earn. My plan is to look for part time work and I will simple proof that action to SW. I have been working full time for last 7years and have all contributions paid. So why should they disqualify me from job seekers benefit if staying at that particular job would means I will have to add money to keep working.

Definitely ask your employer if you can take parental leave. You are legally entitled to 18 weeks parental leave for each child up until they are 8 years old. You may take this leave as an 18 week block. Or either a couple days per week or other alternatives as you wish. If you take a couple days a week this would be ye same as part time work.

As I said you are legally entitled to this unpaid leave protected leave, however, it is at the discretion of your employer in regards to how you avail of the leave.

• Advertisement

The reason you maybe disqualified for 9 weeks is because you are quitting your job! It doesn't matter how much you were earning etc You will get job seekers after the 9 weeks but the benefit only lasts for 9 months then you are means tested for job seekers allowance. When you apply for jobs keep copies of replies to show to SW as proof you are actively looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Unless this has changed in the last 3 years, it's that you can be disqualified for up to 9 weeks but they don't always enforce it. They didn't for my partner who took vl. As long as you are genuinely looking for work and not a stay at home mam and meet criteria re prsi etc surely you'd be ok? I find the best thing is to go to your local sw office and ask. You'll get a more direct reply specific to your circumstances.

Advertisement