Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnected 2 weeks ago, still not resolved

Options
  • 24-02-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I've held off from posting this thread here as I was hoping to get it sorted over the phone. Needless to say, that was incredibly naive on my part.

The situation I am attempting to deal with has turned into a complete farce at this stage.

Two weeks ago on Monday the 10th February I woke up to find that my stand alone broadband wasn't working. I tried all the usual troubleshooting methods and eventually gave in and called tech support. They couldn't find my account details so I was first passed on to billing and then customer service, both who had my account details. I was passed back to tech support who still couldn't find my details. I was once again passed on to customer service, this was the first person I spoke to who was actually able to tell me that my account had been cancelled. The fifth person I spoke to. I'd like to point out the fifth person I spoke to was very helpful. Unfortunately I can't remember their name.

At first I was told that I had been "slammed". I had to get a home phone and dial such and such a number to find out who my provider was. It was still Eircom. I was told it might take a couple of days to change and to call back when I knew as it was out of your control in the mean time. The Tuesday (11th) passed with more phone calls (1hr 22mins total) and it was still coming up as Eircom being my provider. Was told I'd be called back. Guess what, that didn't happen.

Wednesday (12th) came around, more phone calls and it transpired it had nothing to do with being slammed at all. 

When I originally moved into the house in November I did all the usual checks and handed over the landline number to start the process of getting the broadband activated. When I handed in the number it was apparently connected to someone elses name and I had to provide a tenancy agreement to prove I was living in the house. No issue, broadband was activated and I was using it from the 22nd November up until the 10th February with no problems, paid the first bill that came through etc.

So this was discovered on the 12th and I provided a tenancy agreement (to an Aoife O'sullivan) again to prove I was living in the house. I thought at this stage my broadband was on the way to being connected. Again I was told I'd get a call back. Again, this didn't happen. I wish I'd taken down the names of people I spoke to, but i'm actually losing track at this stage.

Into last week and nothing was happening re being connected or called back so I phoned again and explained the same as above, again, to yet another individual. I eventually found out what has happened.

The landline number that I provided back in November is actually someone elses landline number. For some reason it took them until February to realise they had been disconnected. When they called in to ask what the problem was, I was disconnected and they got their landline number back.

The issue is as follows, my line is still showing the same number that I provided in November, which is apparently this other persons number that they've been using for ages. If I connect a phone and dial the landline number, it comes through to my house. And I can dial out to my mobile for example.

It also seems there is a mix up with addresses as this other persons address is very similar to mine. The issue is, I have no idea who this person is or where this supposed house is, they're apparently on the same street as me. I was told that an engineer would could out to the house to have a look. But guess what, this also hasn't happened. Oh, I did get an engineer call to the house looking for the other persons house. I didn't know where it was, he didn't know where it was or what the issue was. Very useful.

There was one member of the sales department who I spoke to last week named Yetlunde (not sure on spelling) who was very, very helpful and called me back on two occasions to let me know what was happening. She unfortunately was off on Friday and told me that one of her colleagues would get in touch. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not giving personal names/numbers/addresses regarding accounts in this thread but I can provide them by PM.

Some sort of help or direction would be fantastic here. Apart from the 

I work from home and in 2014 an internet connection is something very useful to have. It's astounding that an issue like this can't be resolved quickly or in any way efficiently. I've had to speak to umpteen different people and i've never been able to get in touch with who I spoke to previously as they either can't be found or the person i'm now speaking to hasn't heard of them. Why on earth can't notes be put on my account regarding two matters. The information regarding my issue and the people I have spoken to and in what departments they're in. It's a complete customer service nightmare. It's been two weeks now with what as far as I can see is very little progress.

I understand that it isn't the fault of any of the people at the end of the phone or the people that will be replying here. It's just an absolute joke. 

Your customer service needs a complete overhaul.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Jaggy wrote: »
    I've held off from posting this thread here as I was hoping to get it sorted over the phone. Needless to say, that was incredibly naive on my part.

The situation I am attempting to deal with has turned into a complete farce at this stage.

Two weeks ago on Monday the 10th February I woke up to find that my stand alone broadband wasn't working. I tried all the usual troubleshooting methods and eventually gave in and called tech support. They couldn't find my account details so I was first passed on to billing and then customer service, both who had my account details. I was passed back to tech support who still couldn't find my details. I was once again passed on to customer service, this was the first person I spoke to who was actually able to tell me that my account had been cancelled. The fifth person I spoke to. I'd like to point out the fifth person I spoke to was very helpful. Unfortunately I can't remember their name.

At first I was told that I had been "slammed". I had to get a home phone and dial such and such a number to find out who my provider was. It was still Eircom. I was told it might take a couple of days to change and to call back when I knew as it was out of your control in the mean time. The Tuesday (11th) passed with more phone calls (1hr 22mins total) and it was still coming up as Eircom being my provider. Was told I'd be called back. Guess what, that didn't happen.

Wednesday (12th) came around, more phone calls and it transpired it had nothing to do with being slammed at all. 

When I originally moved into the house in November I did all the usual checks and handed over the landline number to start the process of getting the broadband activated. When I handed in the number it was apparently connected to someone elses name and I had to provide a tenancy agreement to prove I was living in the house. No issue, broadband was activated and I was using it from the 22nd November up until the 10th February with no problems, paid the first bill that came through etc.

So this was discovered on the 12th and I provided a tenancy agreement (to an Aoife O'sullivan) again to prove I was living in the house. I thought at this stage my broadband was on the way to being connected. Again I was told I'd get a call back. Again, this didn't happen. I wish I'd taken down the names of people I spoke to, but i'm actually losing track at this stage.

Into last week and nothing was happening re being connected or called back so I phoned again and explained the same as above, again, to yet another individual. I eventually found out what has happened.

The landline number that I provided back in November is actually someone elses landline number. For some reason it took them until February to realise they had been disconnected. When they called in to ask what the problem was, I was disconnected and they got their landline number back.

The issue is as follows, my line is still showing the same number that I provided in November, which is apparently this other persons number that they've been using for ages. If I connect a phone and dial the landline number, it comes through to my house. And I can dial out to my mobile for example.

It also seems there is a mix up with addresses as this other persons address is very similar to mine. The issue is, I have no idea who this person is or where this supposed house is, they're apparently on the same street as me. I was told that an engineer would could out to the house to have a look. But guess what, this also hasn't happened. Oh, I did get an engineer call to the house looking for the other persons house. I didn't know where it was, he didn't know where it was or what the issue was. Very useful.

There was one member of the sales department who I spoke to last week named Yetlunde (not sure on spelling) who was very, very helpful and called me back on two occasions to let me know what was happening. She unfortunately was off on Friday and told me that one of her colleagues would get in touch. Rinse and repeat.

I'm not giving personal names/numbers/addresses regarding accounts in this thread but I can provide them by PM.

Some sort of help or direction would be fantastic here. Apart from the 

I work from home and in 2014 an internet connection is something very useful to have. It's astounding that an issue like this can't be resolved quickly or in any way efficiently. I've had to speak to umpteen different people and i've never been able to get in touch with who I spoke to previously as they either can't be found or the person i'm now speaking to hasn't heard of them. Why on earth can't notes be put on my account regarding two matters. The information regarding my issue and the people I have spoken to and in what departments they're in. It's a complete customer service nightmare. It's been two weeks now with what as far as I can see is very little progress.

I understand that it isn't the fault of any of the people at the end of the phone or the people that will be replying here. It's just an absolute joke. 

Your customer service needs a complete overhaul.

Hi Jaggy

I'm very sorry to hear of this and sincerely apologise for the shortfalls in customer service you have received so far. Please PM me your eircom account number, the landline number in question, your address and some contact details for you. I will look in to this for you.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Hi Jaggy

I'm very sorry to hear of this and sincerely apologise for the shortfalls in customer service you have received so far. Please PM me your eircom account number, the landline number in question, your address and some contact details for you. I will look in to this for you.

Thanks

Al

PM sent, thanks.

Hi Jaggy

Thanks

Al

PM sent, thanks.
    Hi Jaggy

Thanks for the details, as per my PM I'll keep you updated

Al

Update;

I've been asked to send a complaint to the Eircom complaints department. As per usual there was no supervisor available to take my call once I contacted customer service. I'm also posting the transcript here. I am at the end of my tether in dealing with Eircom. I have been incredibly patient for what is nearly six weeks but as of today, i've had enough.

As of the 26th February a new line and standalone broadband had been ordered thanks to Yetunde's help. She was the first person to actually call me back several times and attempt to rectify the situation. During this phone call I was also told that I had €50 credit from my old account number (81439820) that would be transferred across to the new account. I'm yet to follow up on this, so I don't know if this has been done.
    The order number was ******* and the new account number is *******

A technician called to the house and a new line was installed on the 1st March and I was given a new landline number – *******. I assumed, perhaps foolishly given the track record so far that this would mean my broadband order was in the process of being completed.

Still no sign of any broadband service as of the 13th March so I decided to give customer service a call to check on the progress. It was then that I was informed that just a phone line and no broadband had actually been ordered. Even though I handed over all my direct debit details on the 26th of February and agreed to enter into a standalone broadband contract of €40 per month.

Excellent. So I once again stated my desire to have a working broadband connection and I was told it would be available / active by Friday the 21st March. Miraculously it was available and working as of yesterday evening – Wednesday 19th March. Albeit with a lot slower download speeds than the connection we had from November – February. But it was better than nothing.

The connection was working fine until about 12:30 today (20th March) when it decided to stop. I phoned customer service who pinged the line and said it was working fine. I was put through to tech support who found a fault on the line and told me and engineer would have to come out to fix it. 19 days. The line has only been active for 19 days. How does it have a fault? The real kicker, it's going to take up to 13 days for an engineer to come out and fix it. 13 days. So if it takes the maximum amount of days for the engineer to come out, i'm looking at the 2nd April. That's including Sundays. By which stage it'll be 7 weeks since the initial disconnection.

This level of customer service is nothing short of pathetic. How Eircom actually continues to operate as a business is beyond any level of comprehension I have.

The worst part of all this is that i'm paying for a service since the 26th of February that i'm not going to receive until April some time. On top of all of this, i've been offered nothing in the way of compensation and am still expected to enter into a 12 month contract. Even though you broke the first contract agreement.

Another complaint I have is the way in which you deal with all incoming phone calls and note taking. As it is a fairly lengthy story which I have to tell, I've had to explain this over and over to each customer service representative as it's nigh on impossible to get in touch with the same person twice. Do you not have a method for putting notes on an account? A method for changing notes from one account number to another? Half my time is spent explaining something that I explained to the last person, the person before that and so on. Why can't someone take a note of my issue and leave it on my account for all to see?

Also, in the process of contacting Eircom this morning I was asked by three different people for an email address to add to the account. Why on earth did the first person not add it to my account or for that matter the second? I don't hold any hopes for the third person to add it either.

Why is there never a manager or supervisor with which to talk to? Or is this due to the sheer volume of complaints you're receiving? I have only been connected to a manager / supervisor on one occasion and that happened to be this morning, as soon as he said hello there was a high pitched ringing interference on the line and he hung up on me. I wasn't called back and I once again had to start the process of ringing customer service and giving all my details.

Another thing, what is the point of the remember me service if it doesn't actually remember me?

Incredibly frustrated and disgruntled by all of this. I will be reporting this to comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Update;

I've been asked to send a complaint to the Eircom complaints department. As per usual there was no supervisor available to take my call once I contacted customer service. I'm also posting the transcript here. I am at the end of my tether in dealing with Eircom. I have been incredibly patient for what is nearly six weeks but as of today, i've had enough.

As of the 26th February a new line and standalone broadband had been ordered thanks to Yetunde's help. She was the first person to actually call me back several times and attempt to rectify the situation. During this phone call I was also told that I had €50 credit from my old account number (81439820) that would be transferred across to the new account. I'm yet to follow up on this, so I don't know if this has been done.
    The order number was ******* and the new account number is *******

A technician called to the house and a new line was installed on the 1st March and I was given a new landline number – *******. I assumed, perhaps foolishly given the track record so far that this would mean my broadband order was in the process of being completed.

Still no sign of any broadband service as of the 13th March so I decided to give customer service a call to check on the progress. It was then that I was informed that just a phone line and no broadband had actually been ordered. Even though I handed over all my direct debit details on the 26th of February and agreed to enter into a standalone broadband contract of €40 per month.

Excellent. So I once again stated my desire to have a working broadband connection and I was told it would be available / active by Friday the 21st March. Miraculously it was available and working as of yesterday evening – Wednesday 19th March. Albeit with a lot slower download speeds than the connection we had from November – February. But it was better than nothing.

The connection was working fine until about 12:30 today (20th March) when it decided to stop. I phoned customer service who pinged the line and said it was working fine. I was put through to tech support who found a fault on the line and told me and engineer would have to come out to fix it. 19 days. The line has only been active for 19 days. How does it have a fault? The real kicker, it's going to take up to 13 days for an engineer to come out and fix it. 13 days. So if it takes the maximum amount of days for the engineer to come out, i'm looking at the 2nd April. That's including Sundays. By which stage it'll be 7 weeks since the initial disconnection.

This level of customer service is nothing short of pathetic. How Eircom actually continues to operate as a business is beyond any level of comprehension I have.

The worst part of all this is that i'm paying for a service since the 26th of February that i'm not going to receive until April some time. On top of all of this, i've been offered nothing in the way of compensation and am still expected to enter into a 12 month contract. Even though you broke the first contract agreement.

Another complaint I have is the way in which you deal with all incoming phone calls and note taking. As it is a fairly lengthy story which I have to tell, I've had to explain this over and over to each customer service representative as it's nigh on impossible to get in touch with the same person twice. Do you not have a method for putting notes on an account? A method for changing notes from one account number to another. Half my time is spend explaining something that I explained to the last person, the person before that and so on. Why can't someone take a note of my issue and leave it on my account for all to see?

Also, in the process of contacting Eircom this morning I was asked by three different people for an email address to add to the account. Why on earth did the first person not add it to my account or for that matter the second? I don't hold any hopes for the third person to add it either.

Why is there never a manager or supervisor with which to talk to? Or is this due to the sheer volume of complaints you're receiving? I have only been connected to a manager / supervisor on one occasion and that happened to be this morning, as soon as he said hello there was a high pitched ringing interference on the line and he hung up on me. I wasn't called back and I once again had to start the process of ringing customer service and giving all my details.

Another thing, what is the point of the remember me service if it doesn't actually remember me?

Incredibly frustrated and disgruntled by all of this. I will be reporting this to comreg.
    Hi Jaggy
    I have taken note of each of your points and have passed these on. As you suggest, there are systems in place to capture details like email and notes on case. I cannot say why you have been asked for these on each call, it may be the agents are asked to follow a procedure on this. I have taken your details from earlier PM and have contacted our complaints dept to have this investigated and I hope to be back to you tomorrow. I will also chase the technical fault case and see where we are with this.
    I hope to be able to deal with all your issues here.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi Jaggy
    I have taken note of each of your points and have passed these on. As you suggest, there are systems in place to capture details like email and notes on case. I cannot say why you have been asked for these on each call, it may be the agents are asked to follow a procedure on this. I have taken your details from earlier PM and have contacted our complaints dept to have this investigated and I hope to be back to you tomorrow. I will also chase the technical fault case and see where we are with this.
    Tony

Thanks Tony, so you have the new account and landline number I provided to Alan?

Hi Jaggy
    Tony

Thanks Tony, so you have the new account and landline number I provided to Alan?
    Hi Jaggy

I see that this has been escaled under the reference number 12210838. I can confirm that there is an issue with the line externally and will require technicians to resolve.

I would like to assure you that we have requested your case to be escalated considering the delays you have experienced so far. At present we are unable to offer a timeframe for full resolution however we will keep you updated as soon as more information is available.

Thanks
    Al

Just noticed all the lights on the router were on and I have an active connection. Has this been fixed?

Just noticed all the lights on the router were on and I have an active connection. Has this been fixed?
    Hi Jaggy

I'm glad to hear this but I can confirm the case is still open and more works are planned externally.

If I notice any further notes I'll let you know

Al

Patchy connection speeds all weekend from Friday onwards. Rang tech support to find there's a major fault on the line and an engineer has to be called out.

Again.

I work from home.

The sooner I can get out of this contract the better.

• Advertisement

Hi Jaggy,

I'm very sorry to hear this. Did they give you an estimated time frame as to how long this will take?

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Jaggy,

I'm very sorry to hear this. Did they give you an estimated time frame as to how long this will take?

Thanks,

Tony
    2 to 3 days apparently.

Engineer came and fixed the line an hour or so ago. Several problems including at the exchange, in the house and outside on the junction box.

Over the past few days, we've been receiving speeds as high as 16.32Mbps (megaBITS) and as low as 0.03Mbps (megaBITS) these low fluctuations were what led to the original call. See attached screenshot for chart from speedtest.net since the problems started occurring on the 2nd March.

Anyway, the line has been fixed and is now at around a steady 6 - 7Mbps (megaBITS) as you can see from the last 2 or 3 tests on the right edge of the chart. What confuses me is now that it's in a fixed state that we aren't getting the speeds we had before the recent line fault occurred. We were getting between 9 and 10 Mbps (megaBITS).

What confuses me even more is when we rang up Eircom to enquire about this, we were told that our package is only 8Mbps maximum. We were definitely getting faster speeds than this. We've now moved to the "up to 24Mbps" package at the expense of starting yet another contract as our line is apparently able to handle.

Another thing, the first person we got in contact with at technical support was incredibly rude.  Arguing with us and actually laughing down the phone at us when we tried to explain the difference between megabits and megabytes. I wish i'd got his name as it was incredibly unprofessional.

Your own website states that the line is measured in megabits, yet he was telling us that the 6-7 megabits result from speedtest is actually megabytes and he didn't see what our issue was. I think it might need explaining to him that megabits doesn't = megabytes. 6-7 megabits speed means an actual download speed of 0.75 - 0.875 MB/s. This simply isn't good enough as when we moved into the house we were getting 2MB/s download speed, which is about 16Mbps. 

If it costs no extra to upgrade to the "up to 24Mbps" package, why aren't the capable lines put on this as standard?

I'm at my wits end with the level of customer service and general lack of understanding. Hopefully this new contract and line upgrade to 24Mbps will make a difference and we'll get a decent internet service that we've been paying for since November.

Engineer came and fixed the line an hour or so ago. Several problems including at the exchange, in the house and outside on the junction box.

Over the past few days, we've been receiving speeds as high as 16.32Mbps (megaBITS) and as low as 0.03Mbps (megaBITS) these low fluctuations were what led to the original call. See attached screenshot for chart from speedtest.net since the problems started occurring on the 2nd March.

Anyway, the line has been fixed and is now at around a steady 6 - 7Mbps (megaBITS) as you can see from the last 2 or 3 tests on the right edge of the chart. What confuses me is now that it's in a fixed state that we aren't getting the speeds we had before the recent line fault occurred. We were getting between 9 and 10 Mbps (megaBITS).

What confuses me even more is when we rang up Eircom to enquire about this, we were told that our package is only 8Mbps maximum. We were definitely getting faster speeds than this. We've now moved to the "up to 24Mbps" package at the expense of starting yet another contract as our line is apparently able to handle.

Another thing, the first person we got in contact with at technical support was incredibly rude.  Arguing with us and actually laughing down the phone at us when we tried to explain the difference between megabits and megabytes. I wish i'd got his name as it was incredibly unprofessional.

Your own website states that the line is measured in megabits, yet he was telling us that the 6-7 megabits result from speedtest is actually megabytes and he didn't see what our issue was. I think it might need explaining to him that megabits doesn't = megabytes. 6-7 megabits speed means an actual download speed of 0.75 - 0.875 MB/s. This simply isn't good enough as when we moved into the house we were getting 2MB/s download speed, which is about 16Mbps. 

If it costs no extra to upgrade to the "up to 24Mbps" package, why aren't the capable lines put on this as standard?

I'm at my wits end with the level of customer service and general lack of understanding. Hopefully this new contract and line upgrade to 24Mbps will make a difference and we'll get a decent internet service that we've been paying for since November.
    Hi Jaggy
    Happy to hear this and thanks for getting back. I can understand your frustration with call mentioned above. If you have any details ( ie what number you called, date of call or can remember the name of agent please let me know and we will have this investigated immediately. There may well be a training issue there, as you suggest.
    I hope that all goes smoothly for you but if not let us know here.
    Tony

Hi Jaggy
    Happy to hear this and thanks for getting back. I can understand your frustration with call mentioned above. If you have any details ( ie what number you called, date of call or can remember the name of agent please let me know and we will have this investigated immediately. There may well be a training issue there, as you suggest.
    Tony

So during the week two bills arrived, one in the post and one online. One for the account before the last engineer was called out and another for the new account that was apparently set up for the 24mbps line.

I rang up to sort out the accounts yesterday and got the older one cancelled, fairly painless.

Woke up this morning to find the broadband has gone again. Excellent. I presume both my accounts have been cancelled or something idiotic to that effect. Either way, just had one frustrating call to "tech support" to tell me what I already knew and yet another engineer is going to be sent out on Monday. Leaving me with no Internet again.

How eircom still operates as a business is beyond me.

Hi Jaggy
    Tony

So during the week two bills arrived, one in the post and one online. One for the account before the last engineer was called out and another for the new account that was apparently set up for the 24mbps line.

I rang up to sort out the accounts yesterday and got the older one cancelled, fairly painless.

Woke up this morning to find the broadband has gone again. Excellent. I presume both my accounts have been cancelled or something idiotic to that effect. Either way, just had one frustrating call to "tech support" to tell me what I already knew and yet another engineer is going to be sent out on Monday. Leaving me with no Internet again.

How eircom still operates as a business is beyond me.
    Hi Jaggy

Very sorry to hear this. Are you still experiencing internet issues?

Thanks
    Al

The engineer called and fixed something at the exchange today but there was no one home and he needed to get into the house. Have another engineer booked for Thursday I think.

Why does stuff keeping breaking at the exchange and in the house? 

This thread thread has been going on for 4 months now. It's tiring.

The engineer called and fixed something at the exchange today but there was no one home and he needed to get into the house. Have another engineer booked for Thursday I think.

Sorry to hear this Jaggy

I'm not aware of what the exchange issue is but if you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look in to this for more information.

Thanks
    Al

Sorry to hear this Jaggy

I'm not aware of what the exchange issue is but if you would like to PM me your landline number I'll look in to this for more information.

Thanks
    Al
    I've sent a PM with my standalone broadband number.

Sorry to hear this Jaggy

Thanks
    Al
    I've sent a PM with my standalone broadband number.
    Hi Jaggy

I see that a case is currently with technical support (reference 1442883) - there does seem to be an issue being worked on at exchange level and at this moment the case to resolve this is ongoing. Once a resolution has been established you will be contacted on your mobile.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Engineer was out this morning and fixed whatever it was needed fixing. So it's up and running again.

He mentioned that the package we are on might be too high for the line and that we might need to downgrade. Could you spread any further light on this?

Cheers,

Liam

Engineer was out this morning and fixed whatever it was needed fixing. So it's up and running again.

He mentioned that the package we are on might be too high for the line and that we might need to downgrade. Could you spread any further light on this?

Cheers,

Liam
    Hi Jaggy

No worries, I'll have this looked in to and get back as soon as I have clarification & further information.

Thanks
    Al

Cheers,

Liam
    Hi Jaggy

No worries, I'll have this looked in to and get back as soon as I have clarification & further information.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi,

He actually rang me back and said we were downgraded from 24mb/s to 12. It's not ideal re: speeds but if it remains consistent I'd much prefer that. We'll see how it goes!

Cheers,

Liam

Cheers,

Liam
    Hi Jaggy

Thanks
    Al
    Hi,

He actually rang me back and said we were downgraded from 24mb/s to 12. It's not ideal re: speeds but if it remains consistent I'd much prefer that. We'll see how it goes!

Cheers,

Liam
    Thanks for letting me know Liam :)

Let me know if how things go with that please

Al

Advertisement