Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann complaint / responsibilities regarding waste

• 24-02-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I sent a complaint to Bus Eireann last week using the contact form on their website about an incident I had while using one of their buses and I've yet to see a reply from them, not even a receipt of message.

Because of my visual impairment, I didn't notice there was human excrement on the floor and seats of a bus I was taking last week. I walked through, and then sat in this. I was left with the waste covering my shoes and jeans before I realised the smells a few moments later. I informed the driver of this and showed him my clothing and the waste at the back of the bus, and I even took pictures just in case. It was a journey with a second connection and a thirty minute walk afterwards so as can be imagined, it wasn't one of my best mornings ever...

The odd thing is that it was the first bus on that route that morning so I would've assumed the bus should have been checked/ cleaned before use that day.

Anyway, so my question is, are BE responsible for replacing those shoes? Is it normal to have to wait many days for them to even reply and say they're checking up this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yeuch - Might be worth getting in touch with their Access Officer - contact details here;

http://www.ncbi.ie/living-sight-loss-know-your-rights-passenger-rights/making-journey

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

Email them using info@buseireann.ie. I contacted them using the contact form on the 16th and have had nothing back so far, so have resent my message to that email, from which I have had fairly prompt responses in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to hear about this. It really is unacceptable. Bus Éireann are paid to have their buses cleaned every day.

Write a factual letter to the regional manager, asking that you be compensated for the cleaning costs and embarrassment. Include the word 'complaint' in the heading. Copy it to the NTA.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=292
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/contact-us/intro-and-general-enquiries-press-contacts-and-oireachtas-liaison/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Thanks for all the replies. I've emailed them at the address Ailbhag has mentioned, and I will step it up to the Access Officer or the NTA if I don't hear back from them in the coming few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

I sent a complaint to Bus Eireann.....

Ordinarily buses are cleaned in the evening and wouldn't be inspected for cleanliness prior to going into service in the morning, it's quite possible a local scumbag used the bus for his/her overnight accommodation and left a token of appreciation.

There are however a number of known offenders for this type of behavior and we do our best to prevent them from using the services but they may not be known to all drivers so keeping them off the buses is tricky.

I'm absolutely certain BE will get back to you, but i'd follow your email with a phone call to the local area manager, it may speed things up.

Contact no's....http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=302

• Advertisement

gbob wrote: »
    Ordinarily buses are cleaned in the evening and wouldn't be inspected for cleanliness prior to going into service in the morning, it's quite possible a local scumbag used the bus for his/her overnight accommodation and left a token of appreciation.

There are however a number of known offenders for this type of behavior and we do our best to prevent them from using the services but they may not be known to all drivers so keeping them off the buses is tricky.

I'm absolutely certain BE will get back to you, but i'd follow your email with a phone call to the local area manager, it may speed things up.

Contact no's....http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=302

Thanks. I received an email today informing me that the complaint has been passed to the appropriate people. Hopefully things will progress quickly.

I have to say, I've never had any problems in BE before and the bus driver was very sympathetic and helpful (they always are on my routes). It's just one of those unfortunate things that can happen but I'm positive enough BE will deal with it properly.

Well it's been almost three weeks and I've only received a single acknowledgement that BE have received my first email. In total I've emailed them four times asking for a brief comment about what's happening with my complaint/ issue and no-one has replied. Am I being impatient in expecting more communication?

Maybe I'm being too extreme since it's only a pair of runners (albeit a +100 euro pair) but can I take them to small claims court? Would that speed up the issue? Has anyone experience of doing such a thing with BE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did you copy it to the NTA?

Try a phone call.

Victor wrote: »
    Did you copy it to the NTA?

Try a phone call.

Thanks for the reply.

I called the Dublin head office last week and finally had an email back regarding the incident from three weeks ago.

It was a strange one- an apology but then at the end they said since they don't know how or when the fecal matter was left on the bus, they can't accede to my request for compensation for my damaged clothing! I don't know if the first thing follows the other. It's not as if they lack proof, i have pictures, the bus man came to the seat and saw the mess and I emailed them within two hours of the journey, etc.

Anyway, I think I'll now reply and CC the NTA asking for more clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

don't let it drop, they have a clear responsibility here. It's disgraceful (maybe not the Bus Co fault but it is their responsibility imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement