Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuim mature applicant interview

• 24-02-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there,

I have a interview next Monday in Maynooth. I have applied for the arts degree. I was hoping I could get some advice on a few things:

1. What to wear? Smart casual I was thinking?

2. What questions should I ask?

3. Anything you think I should be prepared for?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

I had my own interview this time four years ago. I dressed casually but still tried to look my best, and the interview itself lasted no longer than about 10 minutes. As I was also applying for the BA Double Hons, I was asked which three subjects I was thinking of studying, and how I was planning to finance my return to full time education. At the finish, they basically told me in an offhand sort of way that I would be receiving an offer for the course and to make sure that Maynooth was my first choice on the CAO. My advice would be not to worry - just be yourself, be on time, and be enthusiastic about joining the University.
    Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

My interview was literally 7 minutes long, I was very annoyed about that, considering the length of commute involved. Plus I was so nervous I could barely talk. But! I got through it well enough and they had me do an essay writing course during the summer to get in to first year. That's a great opportunity if you're offered it. Like above, I dressed casually and was asked about subjects I was interested in, plus my finances. I think they just want to know you've thought it through, the expensiveness of it and so on.

You might ask when you can expect word back from them... I sat around for weeks not having a clue until I got the conditional offer (i.e. on the condition I passed the essay writing course).

But yes, try and be enthusiastic. Maybe have a specific answer in case they ask, why Maynooth in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jen7501

Thanks a million guys for the speedy replies. Feeling a bit more relieved about the whole thing! I will def put together a 'why maynooth' response. Was the essay writing course hard? where you taking english if you don't mind me asking mickstupp? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

The essay writing course... well, I suppose in certain respects it was hard because before I did it I didn't know a single thing about grammar or structure etc. But they teach you all that in a really clear way. It's a whole week worth of classes, or was when I did it. Then you get two further weeks to write an essay, with the use of the library. It was grand. It was worrying at the time, as I had to get a pass to get through, but in hindsight, no it wasn't difficult. You get so much help from the tutors. And I know two ladies who didn't do very well in the essay but still got loads of feedback on the problems, and then an extra week to fix it up. Or at least that's what they told me.

And no, I wasn't studying English. At least, it wasn't my intention. You get a few weeks at the beginning of first year where you can do different subjects before settling on your final choice of three. I tried a bunch and came out with English, Philosophy and Greek & Roman Civ. I dropped English as soon as I could because I despise all the literary theory. But each to their own. You'll have to write essays for most things, not just English. Plenty in History from what I hear.

I'd recommend trying a few different subjects and then keeping what you like the best. I'm a firm believer in doing what you love. You'll put in far more work with the subjects you enjoy and it won't feel so much like work. If you choose subjects you don't particularly care for, just because you think it'll be a good idea, chances are you won't put in the same level of effort, and in the long run your marks won't be as good. But I suppose it comes down to what you want out of college. Again, each to their own.

Don't be worried about essays or writing skills. Your grammar in these posts is already better than some of the essays I've seen from people in third year.

hi there,

had my interview yesterday and it was pretty much as you guys told me! I have to do the essay writing course in the summer and I was told its compulsory now, but was practically told I would have a place once I passed. Thank you for the advice!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

Congrats! Believe me, the three years will just fly by, and there's no better feeling than walking across the stage of the Aula Maxima on graduation day to receive your parchment; it makes all the hours of essay writing and study and general hassle just so worthwhile.

Best of luck on your course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EMK24d

God I am panicking now I have not been asked to come down for an interview just been asked to come down for a test! Does anyone think I have no chance for the Arts degree?

hiya, im not sure but I think some courses require a test and then you will have a interview. Did you apply for mh101?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EMK24d

I have applied for MH113 (History) and MH101 as second choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

EMK24d wrote: »
    God I am panicking now I have not been asked to come down for an interview just been asked to come down for a test! Does anyone think I have no chance for the Arts degree?

Hi, I went through this process last year also- first off for (MH101 & MH111 & media ) was a written exam. Well, you had to write an essay on a topic related to your subject choice.
    If you do ok on that they call you for interview. I got through to 2 out of the 3 and the interviews were nerve wracking- but i guess the unfamiiar commute didn't help. I'd recommend to anyone to do a dry run.
    I didn't get my first choice, but did end up going on the essay course for Arts and found it enjoyable and a big learning curve. I took a lot out of it, anyway. If you get a chance I'd highly recommend it, it basically teaches you about how 3rd level assignments are expected to be written.
    The test you've been called for is the 1st step- good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Shouldn't there be a sticky on this board for just this topic.
    It seems to come up a lot...

I mean it doesn't have to say much, just the general points, where is it, how to get there, what to expect, how to prove Fermat's last theorem, what is involved in the essay writing course, etc.

Maybe even let people post their experiences of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Alt_Grrr wrote: »
    Shouldn't there be a sticky on this board for just this topic.
    It seems to come up a lot...

I mean it doesn't have to say much, just the general points, where is it, how to get there, what to expect, how to prove Fermat's last theorem, what is involved in the essay writing course, etc.

Maybe even let people post their experiences of it.

You're right, they're should be. I'm a bit swamped atm but I'll get onto Thwip! And we'll try get something sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I did an access course in UCD 2 days a week, the year before I went to nuim. when I told them this at the interview it took a whole new lead, it was basically oh that's grand sure send us the results of the exam, I kinda knew I was in though. I found the access course a great job though, I hit the ground running in first year and haven't looked back since, I had all the plagerism, citation, referencing all done before I started , a serious advantage, plus I knew what to expect at college, although it was €800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Did an interview myself for the science department today&I got the same offhand gist as I_Am_Not_Ice, coupled with a suggestion to attend a maths course in the summer. They seem like a cordial ole bunch up there! The length of the commute up from Munster vs a 10ish minutes interview was an expected annoyance though the buses have me wrecked now

Advertisement