Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony XPERIA Z2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Very few people have them I would say, Vodafones exclusivity is up in June it seems to maybe we'll see a bit more activity after.

Also there is little movement from the development community, the Z2 is shipping with an unlockable bootloader on most networks, an exploit hasn't been found yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I decided to stick with mine in the end. I still have the call quality issue but I tried 3 different handsets, all with the same results so it must be me. I won't know until I meet someone else who has a Z2 though.

I tried the headphones yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the noise cancelling. I wasn't expecting much but they definitely work. It's a great phone though, really quick and with a great screen & camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Carphonewarehouse has them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

leemaree wrote: »
    Carphonewarehouse has them

Unlocked or vodafone only?

It says it's on 02 for the price of €609.99. No sim free ones. It's not up on their website nor 02 but I saw them in carphoewarehouse DL yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Got the Xperia Z over a year ago, Screen broke in my pocket after a few months and got it fixed, then about 2 months later it melted the motherboard and I was given a new unit. Two weeks ago this new one wouldn't let me make or receive calls or texts but my 3g worked.

I sent it off to be fixed and I was due a upgrade I was going to get the Z1 but Meteor are now only selling the compact version so i backed out of it as I prefer the bigger screen. My Xperia Z is now fixed must pick it up Saturday. Im hoping to upgrade to the Z2 but no word about it coming out on Meteor yet.

PS whats with all the long contracts. Meteor only seem to be doing 18 or 24 months. For me to stay on my current 12 month contract the z1 would cost 350e!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Times are tight, the networks need to hold onto to you for as long as possible. Vodafone do offer a 24 month contract with a €10 a month option to get a new handset 12 months in.

Just came back from Dunlaoghaire to make sure. I went into Carphonewarehouse and the phone says ; Vodaphone, FREE on pay monthly. Nothing on emobile, meteor, 3 or sim-free. 02 is €609.99 on prepay and FREE on pay monthly

Just came back from Dunlaoghaire to make sure. I went into Carphonewarehouse and the phone says ; Vodaphone, FREE on pay monthly. Nothing on emobile, meteor, 3 or sim-free. 02 is €609.99 on prepay and FREE on pay monthly

Called into Carphone Warehouse on Henry street today, they told me it was only available on Vodafone and they didn't have any details on when it'd be available on other networks.

Called into Carphone Warehouse on Henry street today, they told me it was only available on Vodafone and they didn't have any details on when it'd be available on other networks.

I just asked ur man in Carphonewarehouse, DL about this phone and although the pricing is listed for this phone. It's not available yet. ONLY ON VODAFONE. I thought it was available with 02 just for Carphonewarehouse as they have it listed but that was just the price

• Advertisement

I think Sony shot themselves in the foot in relation to the Irish market and the release of the Z2. Anyone who's upgrade cycle is around this time won't want to wait and will have gone for the S5 or the M8.

I think Sony shot themselves in the foot in relation to the Irish market and the release of the Z2. Anyone who's upgrade cycle is around this time won't want to wait and will have gone for the S5 or the M8.

And had it gone out with bugs galore then sales and then returns would have been much much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I think Sony shot themselves in the foot

Sony seem to do that a lot
    Release bug ridden phones or just late to the party
    someone needs to talk to them and get their act together.
    Nice phones but I don't trust them and would never buy Sony again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Sony seem to do that a lot
    Release bug ridden phones or just late to the party
    someone needs to talk to them and get their act together.
    Nice phones but I don't trust them and would never buy Sony again.

Sony as a company are in serious trouble. They've just sold off their failing tv and computer divisions and there phone and gaming divisions are rumoured to be next.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Sony as a company are in serious trouble. They've just sold off their failing tv and computer divisions and there phone and gaming divisions are rumoured to be next.

I'd love a source for this.

I'm really happy with the Z2. I picked it up a few days after it launched in Ireland and I've had no trouble with it. The camera is good, the battery is great, there are minor niggles with audio quality on phone calls, but I imagine that's to do with the waterproofing and I'm more than happy to make that compromise.

I'll be keeping this phone for the next two years I think, I just would like a work around for the unlockable bootloader so I can root the phone and install AdAway.

Oh yeah, talking about battery life. Just took these screenshots. Over 6 hours of screen time and it's not dead yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f10aausbvm1pfst/Screenshot_2014-05-20-16-50-47.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vldab5pwqxigze0/Screenshot_2014-05-20-16-53-44.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm really happy with the Z2. I picked it up a few days after it launched in Ireland and I've had no trouble with it. The camera is good, the battery is great, there are minor niggles with audio quality on phone calls, but I imagine that's to do with the waterproofing and I'm more than happy to make that compromise.

I'll be keeping this phone for the next two years I think, I just would like a work around for the unlockable bootloader so I can root the phone and install AdAway.

Can you elaborate a little on the bit in bold? I returned a handset as it sounded as if there was a tiny rattle in the speaker but the 2nd handset is the same. The guy in the shop said it was most likely due to the waterproofing but as I don't know anybody with the Z2 I can't do a comparison.

It's a minor complaint at this stage anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

whatever about providing a link for the the "rumour", I'd appreciate a link to news of them selling their tv division - I'm mobile right now and haven't found anything, last i read they were spinning it off - which is quite a bit different.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Can you elaborate a little on the bit in bold? I returned a handset as it sounded as if there was a tiny rattle in the speaker but the 2nd handset is the same. The guy in the shop said it was most likely due to the waterproofing but as I don't know anybody with the Z2 I can't do a comparison.

It's a minor complaint at this stage anyway.

Certainly, my issue is with the audio pickup. I've had some complaints from the other end that I either cannot be heard for else I sound like I'm in a tunnel. I only call a few people and it's not often they say that there is an issue. Audio recording on video is not stellar either, however I've found that by plugging in the noise cancelling headphones you can change their mode to "microphone" so that the video recorder uses those instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

whatever about providing a link for the the "rumour", I'd appreciate a link to news of them selling their tv division - I'm mobile right now and haven't found anything, last i read they were spinning it off - which is quite a bit different.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/01/sony-slashes-profit-estimate-70-percent

Mobile and gaming seemingly remain core divisions of Sony for growth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/01/sony-slashes-profit-estimate-70-percent

Mobile and gaming seemingly remain core divisions of Sony for growth.

Thanks, that article is along the same lines as what I'd read with no mention of Sony selling their TV division - although it's clear it's going to be getting a whole lot smaller.

Mobile....... core divisions of Sony for growth.

They would probably want to sort out their mobile division if they want to stay in with the rest of the big hitters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got one waiting for me to collect, tried to get it saturday but they sold the last one.

Can't wiat my old one is on it last legs.

Rumors of the Z3 being released in August. That's a short lifespan for a flagship device
    I would be a little peeed off if I only get my Z2 in June or July and it's swiftly replaced the following month.

Rumors of the Z3 being released in August. That's a short lifespan for a flagship device
    I would be a little peeed off if I only get my Z2 in June or July and it's swiftly replaced the following month.

Just seen this ;

http://www.xperiaz3guide.com/sony-xperia-z3-release-date/

Want a shovel for that salt?

That site screams "amateur hour"

Definitely. Facebook page for the site has 58 likes and promises frequent updates... there's only one updated posted after that.

Stinks of fanboy jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's spinning the tvs off into a wholly owned subsidiary.That's not selling it off.

Picked up a z2 on Friday to replace my note 2 and liking it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Given there was only six months between the release of the Z1 and Z2 I wouldn't be all that surprised to see another Z device before the end of the year.

Definitely. Facebook page for the site has 58 likes and promises frequent updates... there's only one updated posted after that.

Stinks of fanboy jumping on the bandwagon.

I would trust these sites a lot more

http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-7942.php
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z3-metal-frame-leaked-August-announcement-in-tow_id56295

Seems like it will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

And yet their advertising campaign on TV is still heavily promoting the z1. Despite this One Sony drive by Kaz hirai I'd still bet that the company is still all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Only annoying flaw I've found so far is that the screen can't be seen in landscape mode if you're wearing polarized sunglasses. Pain in the arse.

daveohdave wrote: »
    Only annoying flaw I've found so far is that the screen can't be seen in landscape mode if you're wearing polarized sunglasses. Pain in the arse.

That's an issue with all LCD screens on any device. :)

I've never had the problem on any of my previous phones, including a string of HTC handsets.

• Advertisement

Hmmm... not sure then. I figured it was due to the S4's AMOLED, as to why I hadn't experienced it before. I have the issue on all my laptops and on the three monitors I have on my desk (not that I wear sunglasses inside, but I tested it out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

i received my free portable speaker from vodafone today. anyone else go down the online route to get the speaker? have to say its quite decent

garyegt wrote: »
    i received my free portable speaker from vodafone today. anyone else go down the online route to get the speaker? have to say its quite decent

No I couldn't because I'm on the "upgrade every year" package so I had to go in store. I'd have made good use of it as I'm downsizing and getting rid of a large bookshelf stereo. :(

The classifieds sites should be flooded with them, if they are you'll pick one up for a song if you're patient.

daveohdave wrote: »
    The classifieds sites should be flooded with them, if they are you'll pick one up for a song if you're patient.

What model was it?

• Advertisement

SRS-BTM8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

No I couldn't because I'm on the "upgrade every year" package so I had to go in store. I'd have made good use of it as I'm downsizing and getting rid of a large bookshelf stereo. :(

Just about the upgrade every year, You can do that online now. I upgraded my own phone online a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I've some questions:

How long before there will be a price drop on the Z2 (assuming there is one)?
    Does anyone have the BSC10 Bluetooth speaker with charging dock? If so, how do you find it?

No Pants wrote: »
    I've some questions:

How long before there will be a price drop on the Z2 (assuming there is one)?
    Does anyone have the BSC10 Bluetooth speaker with charging dock? If so, how do you find it?

Going with Sony's current record there will probably be an announcement of the Z3 within the next 4-5 months. I'd imagine you'll find a price drop shortly thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Going with Sony's current record there will probably be an announcement of the Z3 within the next 4-5 months. I'd imagine you'll find a price drop shortly thereafter.
    I probably can't wait that long. :D

No Pants wrote: »
    I probably can't wait that long. :D

I couldn't either, but that's about what you'll have to wait. The recently announced LG G3 or the maybe soon to be announced iPhone 6 might bump the prices down, but there is no guarantee about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Got mine today, its so far so good
    Just need to learn how to use it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Anymore people get this phone yet??

The battery is unreal good, I charged mine sunday morning and its on 38% now even though ive been fairly hard on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I got one off Amazon. So far so good, a few niggles (coming from Note 1). I can't see it being one of those gadgets I grow to love, but I can see it being a solid workhorse for a few years.

Plus:
    The camera is excellent. I like the dedicated button.
    I do a good bit of hiking, so the waterproof phone is brilliant.
    Fast.
    Much better battery than the Note.
    The magnetic charger is handy (to avoid having to open the waterproof flaps)

Minus(niggles):
    Screen is very dim in sun.
    "Auto" setting on the screen is useless, too dark.
    The magnetic charger is on the wrong side of the phone for wallet cases.
    I have to start and stop bluetooth to get my headphones working.
    Stupid bloatware that can't be uninstalled.
    XDA support isn't great - hopefully this will get better as sales increase

Upgraded from a Xperia S, (man that was a long 24 months) to this and liking it so far. Battery seems really good so far.
    Where is the best (aka cheapest) place to get a dock charger?

• Advertisement
Advertisement