Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony XPERIA Z2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

flazio wrote: »
    Upgraded from a Xperia S, (man that was a long 24 months) to this and liking it so far. Battery seems really good so far.
    Where is the best (aka cheapest) place to get a dock charger?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181380098186?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Cheapest i could find

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Don't buy the official one, it's ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Anyone know when meteor, 02, tesco and the like will have this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Looks like they've finally cracked the unlockable bootloader. Root is now available for all!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2783750

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

Looks like they've finally cracked the unlockable bootloader. Root is now available for all!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2783750
    crap, my firmware version is different. is it possible to roll it back or would it work anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

garyegt wrote: »
    crap, my firmware version is different. is it possible to roll it back or would it work anyway?

Yes, you should be able to roll back using Flash Tool. I've yet to do it, but I'm sure there's a guide on XDA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

hmmm wrote: »
    I got one off Amazon. So far so good, a few niggles (coming from Note 1). I can't see it being one of those gadgets I grow to love, but I can see it being a solid workhorse for a few years.

Plus:
    The camera is excellent. I like the dedicated button.
    I do a good bit of hiking, so the waterproof phone is brilliant.
    Fast.
    Much better battery than the Note.
    The magnetic charger is handy (to avoid having to open the waterproof flaps)

Minus(niggles):
    Screen is very dim in sun.
    "Auto" setting on the screen is useless, too dark.
    The magnetic charger is on the wrong side of the phone for wallet cases.
    I have to start and stop bluetooth to get my headphones working.
    Stupid bloatware that can't be uninstalled.
    XDA support isn't great - hopefully this will get better as sales increase

How did you manage to get it off amazon? When I try it said cannot be posted to selected address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    How did you manage to get it off amazon? When I try it said cannot be posted to selected address?

parcelmotel.com Send it to the Northern Ireland address and then Nightline send it to your nearest automatic depot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    I had no problem - are you buying off Amazon itself and not some other seller?

• Advertisement

garyegt wrote: »

If you look towards the end of the thread, another more general tool for Xperia's is available. Worked for me, apart from the inability to update supersu.

Amazon.de is significantly cheaper than UK, and they'll ship direct to Ireland. Significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Turned off the background noise cancelling thing for calls, it seemed to be making it very hard for people to hear me.

Not since the old brick phones have I had a phone battery last as long as this does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm getting a fair few people complaining about the quality of sound when I'm on a call. They keep asking am I on a hands free. Anyone else getting that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

have to say lads this is one of the best phones i have owened in a while, coming from the iphone 5swhich while a great device i always felt the screen was a touch small, but battery life was shocking and it had a tendency to have a weak radio which left me with no 3g coverae in decent areas.

The z2 has never lost a HSDPA connection even in a well known blackspot in Ashbourne. The battery however is stella, On friday at 4pm i took off charge and headed home on the bus, made a 20+ min call, then watched RTE player - World Cup until 17:20 - then another couple calls, few text etc... Sat i used as normal in that i made a few calls, used the camera a few times, uploaded a few pics to the facebook channel, mms couple shots to Mrs Brookied, surfed the net a little. Got into Sunday morning with 50% still on the thing. Got Through Sunday and back into work monday with 38% left and sticking back on charge now.....

Friday evening to Mon morning with being used as normal is just amazing.......

Yes stamina mode is on and also Low - Battery mode - location based wifi is on but I am really unsure if this works as it is supposed to? Queue background data is also on.

Only minor issue is the supplied MDR-NC31EM buds, great quality but as a phone headset not the best, wife can never hear me and other have made comments.... anyone get the same?

BrookieD wrote: »
    Only minor issue is the supplied MDR-NC31EM buds, great quality but as a phone headset not the best, wife can never hear me and other have made comments.... anyone get the same?
    Not really used them for phone calls just yet, as I have mentioned before the lack of a control button is an issue. If I'm pulling out the phone to answer it I might as well put it up to my ear. Having the microphone up at your ear doesn't seem all that ideal either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I had no problem - are you buying off Amazon itself and not some other seller?

Just seen you answered this now. Yeah it was off amazon. They wouldn't ship to Ireland. I actually got the phone yesterday. I added the Z1 compact to the order and it went through then I cancelled the Z1 and just left the Z2 half of the order just before pressing buy if that makes sense. It kept saying they didn't ship to Ireland otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Any official date for meteor getting this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Vain wrote: »
    Any official date for meteor getting this?

It's already on emobile, so should be available on meteor now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Looking to get this with Tesco, got them calling/texting me when they have stock in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I got this phone at the weekend from o2. If you order it online, use this for 20% off. I got the phone on pre-pay for €487.99.

The phone feels really well built, and the camera is very good in the day, but can be a little bad if its dark. The included earphones are also good. The battery is also very good, as I was able to get 3 days of medium usage using WiFi, location, and a few games, all with stamina mode on. The screen is very good, but I wouldn't mind it being a bit brighter for when its used in the sunlight.

One thing that kind of annoys me is why the USB port and sim slot share one cover, and the micro-sd card has its own. It would have been better if the sim and sd slot were under the same cover, and just have a small one for the USB port. I will be picking up a dock for the phone for quick and easy charging sometime soon.

just ordered this from tesco mobile.

looking to get a wireless charger, anyone know of any good ones?

• Advertisement

just ordered this from tesco mobile.

looking to get a wireless charger, anyone know of any good ones?

I had the dock for the z, Im guessing its the same type of idea. It was a pain having to take off my cover to dock my phone to charge it!

Still no word on meteor getting this, they still dont have a date:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

I had the dock for the z, Im guessing its the same type of idea. It was a pain having to take off my cover to dock my phone to charge it!

Still no word on meteor getting this, they still dont have a date:mad::mad:
    Different dock on z to Z2. I Def recommend getting a magnetic charging cable or a little usb to magnetic converter they are really handy

thanks, any links to the wireless chargers please?

i can only find cheap chinese ones online, i;d rather a good one if possible.

tesco mobile is much cheaper, i'm leaving meteor to go to them.

30e for 500 mins, 500 texts and 15gb internet!!

The Z2 isn't Qi compatible without a case, if that's what you're looking for. There's an OE one, but I don't think it's available yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Does anyone know if the Vodafone ones are branded. Or if there's any hassle getting the unlock code off them.

Meteor now have these, I picked one up this morning after my local store rang me, they got stock yesterday!

how much was the phone and what plan did you get if you dont mind me asking?

i got this phone today but the ringtone volume doesnt seem to be as loud as i was expecting.

The vibrations intensity is also very soft or low.

am coming from a HTC One which was very loud and the vibration was very strong.

Does anyone else have these problems, could i have a faulty phone?

i got this phone today but the ringtone volume doesnt seem to be as loud as i was expecting.

The vibrations intensity is also very soft or low.

am coming from a HTC One which was very loud and the vibration was very strong.

Does anyone else have these problems, could i have a faulty phone?

Id agree with you there eamon, its not that loud but the vibrate is fine for me.

Thanks for your reply, I've had the phone on silent with vibrate and you'd barely notice the phone vibrate when I call or message cones in, I would have my phone on vibrate a lot of the day so this is a major problem for me

• Advertisement

What covers do ye have? Im thinking of getting a Case Mate one. Had one on my Z and the protection is very good. I cant see in the picture if thw case allows for access to the magnetic charging point without taking the cover off. I messaged the seller 2 days ago, No reply yet tho!

This is it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400684173144&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Case mate have their own website, you'd be better off asking there. They don't look very protective to me. One bit of gravel and you're screwed. 150-200 for a screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

What covers do ye have? Im thinking of getting a Case Mate one. Had one on my Z and the protection is very good. I cant see in the picture if thw case allows for access to the magnetic charging point without taking the cover off. I messaged the seller 2 days ago, No reply yet tho!

This is it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400684173144&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I have this one in purple and it's a good case offering excellent protection and grip. It blocks the magnetic charging port so keep this in mind, and it also adds fairly significant bulk to the phone. I found I couldn't keep it comfortably in my pocket with it on and now don't bother with a case at all.

I may try it again but I think the phone is just to damn pretty to cover up :D

I just put the case back on to see how it is after a few weeks without it. It's still a great fit and I'll keep it on for a while. One great thing is that it makes the buttons stick out really well. I sometimes find the power button a little difficult to find, but with this case all the button stick out a tiny bit more which makes them very easy to find.

I got two of these for magnetic charging, and so far they're working well. Slow to charge at times however.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JLZJL7S/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01 . Unfortunately when I ordered them via Parcel Motel they were sent individually - doh!

This also allows me to use a wallet case, which won't fit into the magnetic charger dock. Magnetic charging is your only man, otherwise you'll have to be opening and closing the usb flaps all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

Has anyone purchased a good secure car holder for the Z2? Preferably cheap too!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I got two of these for magnetic charging, and so far they're working well. Slow to charge at times however.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JLZJL7S/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01 . Unfortunately when I ordered them via Parcel Motel they were sent individually - doh!

This also allows me to use a wallet case, which won't fit into the magnetic charger dock. Magnetic charging is your only man, otherwise you'll have to be opening and closing the usb flaps all the time.

Do you find yours is really easy to fall off? Got one similar and it's a bit of a pain to keep attached at times...

Do you find yours is really easy to fall off? Got one similar and it's a bit of a pain to keep attached at times...
    Yup, same here, but I can usually get it to stay in place. Still better than opening the flaps all the time though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭dazzday

Have my Xperia Z2 on its way :D

Anybody recommend a case? Something very light, doesn't add bulk and leaves the magnetic charging point free. Ideally something that doesnt hide the beauty of this phone!!

• Advertisement

Just had an Android update install into my phone, not sure what it was, no major changes that I can see.
    Sadly though, the phone has to go back tomorrow for a warranty repair, the dock connector has come loose and is falling off the phone.

Update on situation, got my phone back to day, plugged it into the charger, the port came right back out again. :mad:
    Went to the 'Talk to Vodafone' section of this forum and the Sheena from Vodafone advises me to bring it back again for repair, and if third time's the charm fonfix will replace the phone.
    Other instances have been reported here and here. Kinda sad now. Anyone else the magnetic side charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Lads hows the headphone volume on the z2?

Thinking of picking this up from clove sim free. Ive never been too happy with the low output from sony phones.. is this the same?

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Lads hows the headphone volume on the z2?

Thinking of picking this up from clove sim free. Ive never been too happy with the low output from sony phones.. is this the same?

Mine blows the head off of me so i never have it past halfway up on the volume so i was surprised by the quality overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Any idea how prone the z2 is to cracking? I've seen some reports which are putting me off.

seagull wrote: »
    Any idea how prone the z2 is to cracking? I've seen some reports which are putting me off.

Do you mean the screen or the glass back? And do you mean after dropping it or just in general use?

• Advertisement

I dropped my first one and cracked it, and unlike my HTC One it was unusable. Got it repaired in the UK for £150, way less than anyone over here would do it for. OEM too.

First phone I've put a case on, after 20 years and around the same number of handsets. It's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I was meaning the self cracking screen without being touched which was an issue with the z1

seagull wrote: »
    I was meaning the self cracking screen without being touched which was an issue with the z1

I haven't heard of this. I dropped my phone without a case onto some tarmac about a week after I got it and although there are some tiny dents in the corner, there were no problems with the screen or any other part of the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I'm sure it's been covered already (apologies for a repost), but what cover(s) would you recommend for the Z2? This is my first real "flagship" phone, and I'd like to keep it in good nick.

Oak76 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been covered already (apologies for a repost), but what cover(s) would you recommend for the Z2? This is my first real "flagship" phone, and I'd like to keep it in good nick.

I have this one;

Casemate Tough Case

It's got excellent protection and grip, though it blocks the magnetic charging port. Not a problem for me as I don't use it. It adds a little bit of bulk but is a good fit.

You can get it much cheaper here;

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/case-mate-tough-case-for-sony-xperia-z2-black-p43996.htm

There's a good selection on that site too, complete with reviews.

• Advertisement
Advertisement