Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony XPERIA Z2

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm sure that since the launch of the Z3, we Z2 owners have been feeling a little left behind, well that may be rectified next year.
    http://www.android.gs/android-5-0-lollipop-for-sony-xperia-z2-to-arrive-q1q2-2015-z2-tablet-will-get-it-at-a-later-time/

4.4.4 Just went into my phone today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭ciarano

Hi did the 4.4.4 update yesterday and today my horror the icons are massive :-o

Does anyone have a fixation on how to reduce icon size on sony z2 OR can I reverse to previous software version

My z2 now looks like a cheap copy with the icons

ciarano wrote: »
    Hi did the 4.4.4 update yesterday and today my horror the icons are massive :-o

Does anyone have a fixation on how to reduce icon size on sony z2 OR can I reverse to previous software version

My z2 now looks like a cheap copy with the icons
    Just hold out with it. Apparently we'll be getting Android 5 in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah I noticed (how couldn't I!) the icons too, not a fan. I just wish Android would allow you to customise the icons like so many of the loaders do.

Lot of talk on the Z3 thread about the Lollipop update. My Z2 is getting it in now. The last major update for this phone perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

flazio wrote: »
    Lot of talk on the Z3 thread about the Lollipop update. My Z2 is getting it in now. The last major update for this phone perhaps?

Which network is that with? Nevermind, getting mine through Tesco now.

Vodafone.
    Also have a Z3 Wifi Tablet and Lollipop is going in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Got it today myself, anyone now how to close all apps at once, since the update, I have to close them individually

Got it today myself, anyone now how to close all apps at once, since the update, I have to close them individually

Apparently that feature has been removed completely. I like the update for the most part but have two gripes;

No easy access to silent mode - previously I could just hold in the power button and there was an option to put the phone on silent and it's much more convoluted now, with me having to hold in the power button, use the volume rocker and then touch the screen.

Notifications bar - it's ugly! There are no problems when in Google apps as it's the same colour as the app, but if I open Dolphin browser or anything else, the bar turns blue and stands out a mile. It's really ugly. Is there any way of changing this?

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Apparently that feature has been removed completely. I like the update for the most part but have two gripes;

No easy access to silent mode - previously I could just hold in the power button and there was an option to put the phone on silent and it's much more convoluted now, with me having to hold in the power button, use the volume rocker and then touch the screen.

Notifications bar - it's ugly! There are no problems when in Google apps as it's the same colour as the app, but if I open Dolphin browser or anything else, the bar turns blue and stands out a mile. It's really ugly. Is there any way of changing this?

Yeah the blue bar is a bit odd... for turning to silent I just hold the volume down until it goes to silent?

hots wrote: »
    Yeah the blue bar is a bit odd... for turning to silent I just hold the volume down until it goes to silent?

Not so keen on that but it's an option, I guess it's only one extra click. Still, why remove a good feature?

As for the blue notifications bar, if you change the theme the a different colour it will change the notification bar so you can choose something less garish than the default blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭EletricMan

Got the Lollipop update last night, went to bed with 34% battery last night, woke up this morning and my battery was dead. Anyone got problems with it?

I haven't had any battery issues at all

Overall I've been happy with the update. It looks and feels better, and I've gotten used to the missing silence option on the power button. However one thing that's annoying me is the WIFI. Previously in WIFI preferred it would stay off until it recognised either a familiar signal or an open source that I used. Now, the WIFI stays either on or off all the time, so while I'm in work it points to open networks that I have no interest in and when I turn it off, it doesn't turn back on when I get home.

Very annoying.

Overall I've been happy with the update. It looks and feels better, and I've gotten used to the missing silence option on the power button. However one thing that's annoying me is the WIFI. Previously in WIFI preferred it would stay off until it recognised either a familiar signal or an open source that I used. Now, the WIFI stays either on or off all the time, so while I'm in work it points to open networks that I have no interest in and when I turn it off, it doesn't turn back on when I get home.

Very annoying.

Never saw that function before but it sounds like IFTTT could be your friend? I use it to turn on/off my wifi within 50 yards of my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Has anyones phone started to freeze since they installed the lollipop update??

Mine has a few times for no reason whatsoever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Has anyone here successfully rooted an Xperia Z2 or installed TWRP on one without unlocking the bootloader? Dont want to do that and mess up the camera.

Im trying to find info on XDA, but I find that place to be a bit of a cluster**** at times, when just trying to quickly find info.

If you have, could you direct me to a guide or something that you used, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Running 4.4.4 (haven't updated to lollipop yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Following that, what's the best custom rom for speed? I find stock a bit sluggish at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Tinie wrote: »
    Has anyone here successfully rooted an Xperia Z2 or installed TWRP on one without unlocking the bootloader? Dont want to do that and mess up the camera.

Im trying to find info on XDA, but I find that place to be a bit of a cluster**** at times, when just trying to quickly find info.

If you have, could you direct me to a guide or something that you used, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Running 4.4.4 (haven't updated to lollipop yet).

I rooted my 4.4.2 Z2 - followed some guide on XDA which was pretty straightforward. It was a while ago, so can't help you with a specific link, sorry !

F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

This is on sale for 375 in argos is it worth it for that money now?

Nolars wrote: »
    This is on sale for 375 in argos is it worth it for that money now?

It's a great phone but that's heaps imo. Tbf I've bought through carriers for the past few years so the sim-free costs.

sugarman wrote: »
    How is the phone holding up today?

Thinking of buying it in Argos for €350.

Oneplus was stolen, but was fairly underwhelmed by that.

Spec is much the same, same CPU/GPU/RAM, with added waterprood, better camera and slightly better battery life.

Only other real option is the LG G3, which again is much the same. Only a better screen and worse battery from what I can see.

I also have a ps4, and could well take advantage of remote play with the Z2.

Phone still going strong here, not a mark on it. Also have a PS4 and haven't even tried the remote play thing for some reason. I'd imagine if you can get a G3 for the same price that would be better? Big fan of my Z2 but 350 also seems a lot for a phone that's been around a while.

Mine is still holding up really well. Getting 2 days out of the battery and still love the physical camera button. It's the first phone that has stopped my annual upgrade cycle, which is saying something.

My Z2 on Vodafone just got an update to 5.1.1

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    My Z2 on Vodafone just got an update to 5.1.1

How has your phone been since the update??

Mine has been all over the shop.. Messages takes a week to open and names of contacts doesn't come up when they call.. It's a nightmare to use now so I'm far from impressed

How has your phone been since the update??

Mine has been all over the shop.. Messages takes a week to open and names of contacts doesn't come up when they call.. It's a nightmare to use now so I'm far from impressed

Mine's been fine anyway, noticed very little difference.

Yeah same here, no difference at all

Yeah same here, no difference at all

Any idea what it might be then lads??

Any idea what it might be then lads??

Is it just issues with cellular-related stuff, like messages and calls or is it more than that, i.e. - weird performance or issues with other apps that use data?

• Advertisement

Is it just issues with cellular-related stuff, like messages and calls or is it more than that, i.e. - weird performance or issues with other apps that use data?

Just messages and calls

Just messages and calls

This is driving me up the wall now, have of the apps won't load up and the response time to opening calls and texts is slower than a wet weekend.
    My battery has gone from a day and a half to a day since the update too.

Any idea what the issue would be? Dodgy update?

That's what it sounds like. A buddy of mine has an Asus Zenfone 2 and after the last firmware update he has loads of issues with anything to do with calling or texting, where the screen will lock after a minute or so. The phone itself is fine, just anything to do with the antenna didn't work. I'm not sure whether you can install an earlier version of Android an earlier firmware, especially without rooting but that's what I'd be looking at.

I'm not sure if it's the last update or what, but my battery life has improved again. I fully charged the phone on Sunday up to around 10pm. It's now at 22%! I wouldn't consider myself a heavy user but use Facebook/WhatsApp/Sky News regularly, as well as browsing the web and I've played F1 Manager 4 or 5 times. It would probably last until 10pm tonight if I was careful. That's 3 days on one charge!

I'm very impressed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

One of my friends try to test the waterproof function, then failed, the screen stop to work even you can still feel the phone is working, anyone now how to solve this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

I paid too much for this in Argos (I hadn't heard of the VSU6, but still, I shouldn't have spent €375....) and ugh, I hate having gotten this phone.

It feels too hot when I use it, once even rendering the camera unusable at a party because the phone got too hot, the flap covering the charging port is so flimsy, it still lags sometimes, the 75% memory warning is annoying....Really wish I'd heard of the VSU6 first or not stupidly spent so much on this anyway. I came from a 1st gen Moto G.

Advertisement