Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare ghost stories

Options
  • 24-02-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭

Writing Haunted Kildare for the History Press. Im looking for modern, first person (ie not yer aunties, aunts, uncles, sisters story) accounts, preferably from the witness. I've already published Haunted Carlow and Haunted Kilkenny - havent had much luck with Kildare stories bar old ones.

If anyone knows of any, drop me a line - <snip>PM me</snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

jaysus, theres bound to be somebody in kildare who's got a ghost story of their own ? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Kilkea Castle in south Kildare is reputedly haunted. There's lots of folklore about that area. There's a historian in the Carlow area called Turtle Bunbury (he has a Facebook page called Wistorical) and he seems to know a good bit about castles, battles etc. in the surrounding counties as well. He might be a good one to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

There are a few ghost stories from the Curragh. A trip to the Curragh military museum to talk to Reggie Darling wouldn't hurt. If he doesn't know about it, it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Call into reggie for a haircut and he will tell you all the stories you want.

Reggie doesn't cut any more. His son Fintan is running the show. Reggie runs the museum now pretty much full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ken wrote: »
    Reggie doesn't cut any more. His son Fintan is running the show. Reggie runs the museum now pretty much full time.

You're mistaken. Reggie cuts hair almost every day. I've being going up to him for the last few years and was only there last week.

I stand corrected.

ken wrote: »
    There are a few ghost stories from the Curragh. A trip to the Curragh military museum to talk to Reggie Darling wouldn't hurt. If he doesn't know about it, it didn't happen.

cheers - certainly shall

anyone have more suggestions? Looking for first hand accounts. Its a toss up between Haunted Laois and Haunted Kildare - though both counties have been pipped to the post by Haunted Tyrone, which has been written and published in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I used to do bread deliveries in the Dublin/Kildare region, early starts, 02:30am Monday mornings to Saturday mornings, after doing a few drops in Lucan I would make my way to Celbridge by the R835 onto the R403 right over the bridge into Celbridge. One morning I was trotting along around 80km when I noticed a person dressed all in black with a small white plastic bag walking along my side of the road in beside the bushes, I slowed down and as I got closer I moved more into the middle of the road, as I passed the person they seemed to disappear into the bushes, I thought the person was just standing in closer for safety but noticed when I looked in my mirror nobody was there. I turned around on the road and drove back to the same spot to check and see if the person fell or I had hit them but there was no sign of anyone, I just thought the person maybe took a short cut through fields home, thought nothing more of it after that.
    Few months later the exact same thing happened and my brother was with me at the time, he seen it too. I freaked out cause it had happened before and he said we must of been seeing things as it was early, dark and tired. We again left it at that.
    Same thing again happened a while later so I started asking around, supposedly there was a man who was walking back from the pub along that road, dressed all in black with his usual white plastic shopping bag, he was knocked down and killed on the spot, he supposedly still walks the road to this day, I had seen it a few more times after that but now have a new job so dont be out that way. Poor chap is probably still trying to make his last journey home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

what about maynooth university is it meant to be haunted and there donadea i know of loads of freaky stuff about that place ,and the mount in kilcock there was a war there i live near kilcock and wont drive up the mount at night gives me the hebe jeebes:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

sandra06 wrote: »
    what about maynooth university is it meant to be haunted and there donadea i know of loads of freaky stuff about that place ,and the mount in kilcock there was a war there i live near kilcock and wont drive up the mount at night gives me the hebe jeebes:pac:

Come on, tell these stories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

Theres (well was, must look to see is it still ther) a house beside goffs just off the N7 dublin bound, the house overlooks the road. When i was a kid rumour was it was haunted. No one has ever lived in it for any length of time. Supposed to be haunted by a kid who died there - broke his neck after falling down the stairs.
    No idea if its true or not, no one else seems to know much about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Large house beside Oakglade on Blessington Rd in Naas. I've heard a few stories told about that place
    Killashee House Hotel is also supposedly riddled!
    My father witnessed a Ghost on a road outside Castlecomer Co Kilkenny on night

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

sandra06 wrote: »

There is a room on the old campus, the building behind the swimming pool (Rhetoric House?) that a number of people killed themselves in or jumped out the window of. The room is now opened and has a shrine or alter in it I think.. blood stains on the floor boards.

Can't really recall the story in full but most people that went to NUIM would know it.

Edit: Here it is - http://comeheretome.com/2012/07/20/the-ghost-room-in-maynooth/

Advertisement