Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predicting a ewe going to lamb

• 24-02-2014 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

Anyone good at this . I'm talking about physical signs before she starts to behave different maybe a day or 2 out?
    I watch for the belly dropping but to be honest itusually isnt accurate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Anyone good at this . I'm talking about physical signs before she starts to behave different maybe a day or 2 out?
    I watch for the belly dropping but to be honest itusually isnt accurate.

I was thinking of this the other day. :)

I am no good at it. My mother and sister are ok at it, but they wouldn't be 100% either...

Until the ewe starts to paw, or call for lambs or put out the water bag, I wouldn't know which one will lamb next... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

On mayo blackface ewes you can generally predict a decent amount of them by the udder. There will always be a few that will leave you scratching your head though, and first time lambers can be more difficult. It probably wouldnt work as well on lowland ewes that were being fed as the udder would fill out earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Predicting a day or two out is tricky. It's easier done with cattle as the bones going is a good indication. I presume something similar happens with sheep but you can't tell with all the wool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The bag will tell give you about a week's notice.
    They say that they eat less silage but how are you ment to see that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

If you keep an eye on a ewes butt it will change colour to bright red in the run up to lambing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

when you've have got stuck in town r have to be away from the place for something ya didn't want to do in the first place:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    when you've have got stuck in town r have to be away from the place for something ya didn't want to do in the first place:(:(

Yes. Also I notice they only lamb on a 40 hour week, mon to friday.

Whats wrong with saturdays ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

n cows always bullin on sunday mornin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Yep I know that feeling. Mine due to lamb from 1st April. Not sure whether to take that week off for lambing or the following week. Which week will higher percentage amb. Ram went out 1st nov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

sea12 wrote: »
    Yep I know that feeling. Mine due to lamb from 1st April. Not sure whether to take that week off for lambing or the following week. Which week will higher percentage amb. Ram went out 1st nov.

I'd take the first week off, it's usually the first few days the most problems appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

sea12 wrote: »

Mine are started a week now nearly and have been very slow. I wouldnt take first week. Maybe 3rd week would be best. There should be a glut n week 1 and week 3.
    Maybe tell them your taking the first week off but dont!

Advertisement