Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminism and the emasculation of men

• 24-02-2014 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I'm all for gender equality, but as a man I'm honestly getting a bit confused about a man's role in western society. back in the old dark ages, a fella looked after his lady and children and had a more dominant role in society. It's great to see women are more independent, but sometimes I can't help wondering have men become more emasculated and submissive. In my experience when a man is sexualised it is a big laugh generally with an undertone of 'you go girl', when it's the opposite the man is a pathetic sleaze. Also, when a woman is being rude or aggressive, men are expected to be sensitive to this. Sometimes it feels we're being shamed for simply just being male.
    These are just some of my thoughts I felt worthy of discussion.
    Also to add, this is not a anti-women thread, as I personally cherish and appreciate women with the upmost respect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

when I was a young lad, I played with toy swords and footballs. raised by fascists so I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

lufties wrote: »
    I'm all for gender equality, but as a man I'm honestly getting a bit confused about a man's role in western society. back in the old dark ages, a fella looked after his lady and children and had a more dominant role in society. It's great to see women are more independent, but sometimes I can't help wondering have men become more emasculated and submissive. In my experience when a man is sexualised it is a big laugh generally with an undertone of 'you go girl', when it's the opposite the man is a pathetic sleaze. Also, when a woman is being rude or aggressive, men are expected to be sensitive to this. Sometimes it feels we're being shamed for simply just being male.
    These are just some of my thoughts I felt worthy of discussion.
    Also to add, this is not a anti-women thread, as I personally cherish and appreciate women with the upmost respect.

Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Anyone for scones? Just baked them there now, get 'em while they're hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What indeed.

It seems the OP has a pretty jaundiced view of women!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Muise... wrote: »
    Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

willis :confused:

• Advertisement

willis :confused:

YipeeKaiYeh, mofo :)

In my experience when a man is sexualised it is a big laugh generally with an undertone of 'you go girl'

Okay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It's great to see women are more independent, but sometimes I can't help wondering have men become more emasculated and submissive.

Equality isn't a zero sum game, if women are more independent, it's not taking away men's independence is it? So in what way are men becoming more emasculated and submissive?

catallus wrote: »
    What indeed.

It seems the OP has a pretty jaundiced view of women!

Ah let the sniping and self-righteous sneering begin :)

Ah let the sniping and self-righteous sneering begin :)

Its not sniping, Lufties, to point out that you seem to have a skewed perception of the way people interact with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Anyone for a Diet coke ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Links234 wrote: »
    Equality isn't a zero sum game, if women are more independent, it's not taking away men's independence is it? So in what way are men becoming more emasculated and submissive?

Sex changes ?

i kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Anyone for a Diet coke ?

Only if you clean the glass afterwards.

Interesting article that I read last week somewhere on Diet Coke and Coke Zero, the way they are sometimes thought to be the same product, but DietCoke is not really coke at all (totally different recipe) and cokezero is the original recipe with no sugar but with more effective sweeteners added; there was much debate about how Zero is marketed at men while diet is marketed at women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

If you feel shame because you can no longer occupy an historically typical male bread winner role then that is an issue with you and your self worth. It is not women or feminism fault.

A woman having independence does not mean that men are submissive to her. That's a crazy association to make. Is it not possible to live in a world where nobody needs to be submissive to their partner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Also, when people complain about the "emasculation" of men, it always raises my eyebrow.

Really, when you look at it, men today have a lot more freedom than previous generations to do what they want and act how they want freely, instead of subscribing to the notion of what a man should be. Guys can be sensitive, and show more emotion, fathers can be nurturing to their kids. Rather than being "emasculated" you could say that a lot of men are more free to be themselves, not every man is or wants to be a staunch lumberjack or otherwise stereotypically masculine charicature you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So in what way are men becoming more emasculated and submissive?

We have to change nappies now. Back in the good old days we brought home the money so that the womenfolk could pop out a dozen or so babies so that the menfolk had a good excuse for going to the pub for a bit of peace and quiet. Now we have to sit and listen to women talk about their feelings and sh¡t and hear them bang on about wanting jobs and equality - can't they not be happy being looked after like good little lassies? Tits out for the lads is what I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If you feel shame because you can no longer occupy an historically typical male bread winner role then that is an issue with you and your self worth. It is not women or feminism fault.

A woman having independence does not mean that men are submissive to her. That's a crazy association to make. Is it not possible to live in a world where nobody needs to be submissive to their partner?

But look at all the nice guys that can't get women. It's not the nice guy's fault that no women find them attractive. It's the women's fault ergo it's feminism's fault. Down with women!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'm waiting to be assigned a role in society, in the meantime sometimes I cook the dinner, sometimes the wife does it.

Of course it is possible, but honestly, men are expected to pander to every whim and take any ****e that women throw at them.If not, they're labelled a chauvanist. Perhaps that's more true to life in the likes of the U.S though in fairness. I find sometimes in day to day life, It is not really accepted for a man to correct a woman for being rude, but god help you if it's the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,330 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Aw maaaan...

I don't have a wife. I pay the bills, and I do my own cooking, cleaning and laundry. What's my role?!? So confused.

Wish I hadn't opened this thread...

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

According to Wikipedia, feminism is "a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women." There is actually nothing in the standard definition of feminism about the emasculation of men. Some feminists might be extremist, hate men and want to emasculate them, but I've never met them - who are they and why should they get to represent the whole movement? Within every ideology, there is a spectrum. Most feminists you meet deeply respect and value men. Maybe if we see equal rights as a pie with a certain number of slices to go around, then improving women's rights takes away some slices of the rights pie from men. But why does it have to be a pie? (mmm pie) For example, there has been vast improvement in the area of employment law for women regarding maternity leave but still some way to go. For men, there should also be provision made for paternity leave like in Scandinavia. Would an improvement in men and women's rights in that area cancel each other out? No. It would actually make things a lot fairer for both. Sexism hurts everyone. And on your point about sexualisation: objectification of another human is a bad thing no matter what and dismissing a guy who has felt sexually objectified as a big laugh is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

You're saying that men are now accepted to tolerate rudeness from women due to feminism. That's simply not the case and to be honest, you've got nothing of substance to back that up.

Feminism for the most part recognises the fact that women are on a lower social and economic step on the ladder than men are, and that that shouldn't be the case. A system where women aren't discriminated against or pigeon-holed is something to aspire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Also, when people complain about the "emasculation" of men, it always raises my eyebrow.

Really, when you look at it, men today have a lot more freedom than previous generations to do what they want and act how they want freely, instead of subscribing to the notion of what a man should be. Guys can be sensitive, and show more emotion, fathers can be nurturing to their kids. Rather than being "emasculated" you could say that a lot of men are more free to be themselves, not every man is or wants to be a staunch lumberjack or otherwise stereotypically masculine charicature you know.

agree. the problem is that the macho thing has been in place for quite a long time...100, 000 plus years. it is deeply ingrained in the psyche of many men and has been the template for peoples fathers, great great great grandfathers etc. and while it may have white washed over feelings and sensitivity, it provided a kind of certainty about ones place and role in the world which was comforting to a lot of men.

In the grad scheme of things, the transition has been pretty fast and I dont think its all about men having a moan now. there is a certain vacuum and very few support structures in place for men to backup and help them in the new world order.

we must also remember that much of this is the preserve of western liberal societies and is non existent in many parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Feminism is an awful load of shyte. Sure nobody is opressing women around here anymore. Rebels without a cause is what they are

agree. the problem is that the macho thing has been in place for quite a long time...100, 000 plus years. it is deeply ingrained in the psyche of many men and has been the template for peoples fathers, great great great grandfathers etc. and while it may have white washed over feelings and sensitivity, it provided a kind of certainty about ones place and role in the world which was comforting to a lot of men.

In the grad scheme of things, the transition has been pretty fast and I dont think its all about men having a moan now. there is a certain vacuum and very few support structures in place for men to backup and help them in the new world order.

we must also remember that much of this is the preserve of western liberal societies and is non existent in many parts of the world.

There is actually a conspiracy that feminism was spearheaded by zionists so that women could be taxed in society rather than for something more noble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Of course it is possible, but honestly, men are expected to pander to every whim and take any ****e that women throw at them.If not, they're labelled a chauvanist. Perhaps that's more true to life in the likes of the U.S though in fairness. I find sometimes in day to day life, It is not really accepted for a man to correct a woman for being rude, but god help you if it's the other way around.

If someone labelled you chauvinist for calling a woman out on being rude then that person is an ass, plain and simple. Not sure why you feel the need to lash out at an entire gender and accuse them of emasculating you just because of the actions of that one person.

Unless of course your idea of being rude is not making you dinner when told too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

somebody left the toilet seat up

If someone labelled you chauvinist for calling a woman out on being rude then that person is an ass, plain and simple. Not sure why you feel the need to lash out at an entire gender and accuse them of emasculating you just because of the actions of that one person.

Unless of course your idea of being rude is not making you dinner when told too :D

Ok i never lashed out firstly :rolleyes:,
    I'm just speaking from experience. I suppose perhaps in some sense 'getting the girl', is not as easy these days, as women don't need/rely on men as much anymore. As a previous poster pointed out feninism and women's equality has all happened so quickly, there is no support structures for men and their new roles. Also, back in the dark ages women were considered more feminine. I can't imagine they were down the pub lewing pints in the pub or pissing in the streets(I say that light-heartedly :) )

• Advertisement

Ok i never lashed out firstly :rolleyes:,
    I'm just speaking from experience. I suppose perhaps in some sense 'getting the girl', is not as easy these days, as women don't need/rely on men as much anymore. As a previous poster pointed out feninism and women's equality has all happened so quickly, there is no support structures for men and their new roles. Also, back in the dark ages women were considered more feminine. I can't imagine they were down the pub lewing pints in the pub or pissing in the streets(I say that light-heartedly :) )

What is it you want to see happen then?

Advertisement