Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminism and the emasculation of men

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I don't get how any of the above equates to them appreciating men more than, fr'instance, I do.

This if course, is not to mind the fact that again, it's an awful generalisation.

Alright so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Freddie Dodge

Feminism as it was originally intended has evolved today into a bankrupt philosophy.

it does not seek equality, just advantage, and as such deserves no support or respect from the gender over whom it seeks this advantage.

What is even worse is the men who describe themselves as feminists. Turkeys etc...

Im an egalitarian, - I believe in equality, not the zero-sum game of gender advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Feminism as it was originally intended has evolved today into a bankrupt philosophy.

it does not seek equality, just advantage, and as such deserves no support or respect from the gender over whom it seeks this advantage.
    Depends on which strain. Some feminists agree equality has been achieved, broadly speaking, but there are certain areas that they wish to question, e.g. aspects of lad culture.
    In the same way that men, overall, are doing ok, but there are certain things that need to be addressed, e.g. how they can be depicted in advertising.

Oh dear. I don't know why that is, but if western women aren't interested in a guy, they're not interested in a guy. They don't owe him anything, even if they have the nerve not to be gorgeous.

The constant talk here of women being preoccupied with wealth refers to an alien world to me.
    In the world I live in, if you like a person, you like a person - and that's all there is to it.
    I know there are gold-diggers out there (I cannot relate to them in the slightest) - the stereotype exists for a reason. But is it as widespread as said here on AH? I doubt it very, very much.

Femme,I think these guys were just glad and perhaps astonished that they were well received by intelligent,beautiful women who take care of themselves as opposed to being bossed around by bitchy, overweight, self entitled munters.

sorry to be crude but you know what I mean :)

lufties wrote: »
    I think these guys were just glad and perhaps astonished that they were well received by intelligent,beautiful women who take care of themselves as opposed to being bossed around by bitchy, overweight, self entitled munters.
    Oh dear. I'm having trouble being convinced that you're not trying to be inflammatory when I see language like the above being used... :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Femme,I think these guys were just glad and perhaps astonished that they were well received by intelligent,beautiful women who take care of themselves as opposed to being bossed around by bitchy, overweight, self entitled munters.

sorry to be crude but you know what I mean :)

DONE.

Oh dear. I'm having trouble being convinced that you're not trying to be inflammatory when I see language like the above being used... :-/

its not inflammatory..in fact you made a reference to gargons in a previous post...could that me taken as inflammatory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The problem with this thread is there have been some good points brought up but unfortunately as is the case most of the time they where done in the wrong way or just not explained very well.

To a degree i can kinda see some of the points the OP tried to make the thing was he did it in a way that the overpowering ones on here where able to shoot him down and make him look stupid.

Being totally honest women and men are not equal in a broad sense and never will be this whole equal rights for everyone is bull**** because theres no actual way to guide it.

If u tell one person they should get same as the other someone is stepping on someones toes it will always be this way.

There is one very major situation that comes to mind for me and i imagine many people that highlights clearly how men and women will never be equal and thats how where both viewed when it comes to kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Depends on which strain. Some feminists agree equality has been achieved, broadly speaking, but there are certain areas that they wish to question, e.g. aspects of lad culture.
    In the same way that men, overall, are doing ok, but there are certain things that need to be addressed, e.g. how they can be depicted in advertising.

they need to familiarise themselves with marketing, and that 'sex, does indeed sell ****' whether they like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Fair play lufties, fair play.

308 posts so far (even if 45 of them are yours).

• Advertisement

To a degree i can kinda see some of the points the OP tried to make the thing was he did it in a way that the overpowering ones on here where able to shoot him down and make him look stupid.
    That's it. The mean "overpowering" people, not the way in which the points were phrased.

That's it. The mean "overpowering" people, not the way in which the points were phrased.

Which is why I mentioned before that the points that where made in first place weren't done in the correct way.

Which is why I mentioned before that the points that where made in first place weren't done in the correct way.
    And then you cancelled all that out with your sentence that I quoted.

People being able to argue back (that's what this forum is for) are not "overpowering".

MS.ing wrote: »
    they need to familiarise themselves with marketing, and that 'sex, does indeed sell ****' whether they like it or not.

Yeah maybe, but what exactly do you mean?

And then you cancelled all that out with your sentence that I quoted.

People being able to argue back (that's what this forum is for) are not "overpowering".

Some are better then others at defending there point. Some just love to get there point across. Some have a good point at heart but execute it awfully and get chopped down bit by bit......

DONE.

What's Done? They were the exact words used on the blog, I'll PM you the link if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I'm all for gender equality, but as a man I'm honestly getting a bit confused about a man's role in western society. back in the old dark ages, a fella looked after his lady and children and had a more dominant role in society. It's great to see women are more independent, but sometimes I can't help wondering have men become more emasculated and submissive. In my experience when a man is sexualised it is a big laugh generally with an undertone of 'you go girl', when it's the opposite the man is a pathetic sleaze. Also, when a woman is being rude or aggressive, men are expected to be sensitive to this. Sometimes it feels we're being shamed for simply just being male.
    These are just some of my thoughts I felt worthy of discussion.
    Also to add, this is not a anti-women thread, as I personally cherish and appreciate women with the upmost respect.

The male gender has not been emasculated it is simply trying to find a new identity. I don't doubt it is confusing. I think men are trying to find a way to express male sexuality. However I also think that is curtailed in Ireland by leave overs from conservatism.

Men are trying to learn how to be sexual whilst not dehumanizing the opposite gender. It is about seeing the female as a sexual subject and not a sex object. Sexuality is there for mutual enjoyment and consent.

Men ( some men then) do not know the difference between flirtatious and intimidating and do not know social cues well.

That is not to say some women are not sleazy. Some are and WAY overstep the mark and that is not right either.

I think you are mistaken in what feminism was.
    I think men and women today forgot what we were coming from. They think the milder forms of sexism of the 70's were what feminism was coming from.

The role of feminism was to get women the right in law to vote the right in law to own property the right in law to open a bank account the right in law to inherit ( as in inheriting her parents property as opposed to some distant relative.) As regards property French married women suffered from restrictions on their legal capacity which were removed only in 1965! until the mid-19th century, writers largely assumed that a patriarchal order was a natural order that had always existed. This perception was not seriously challenged until the 18th century when Jesuit missionaries found matrilineality in native North American peoples. English law defined the role of the wife as a ‘feme covert’, emphasizing her subordination to her husband, and putting her under the ‘protection and influence of her husband, her baron, or lord’. Upon marriage, the husband and wife became one person under the law, as the property of the wife was surrendered to her husband, and her legal identity ceased to exist. Aware of their daughters’ unfortunate situation, fathers often provided them with dowries or worked into a prenuptial agreement pin money, the estate which the wife was to possess for her sole and separate use not subject to the control of her husband, to provide her with an income separate from his.

In contrast to wives, women who never married or who were widowed maintained control over their property and inheritance, owned land and controlled property disposal, since by law any unmarried adult female was considered to be a feme sole. Once married, the only way that women could reclaim property was through widowhood.

A woman was a bondservant of her husband literally. In Irish law even in 1957 Since 1957, a married woman in Ireland has still no real identity or existence in her own right. She is still regarded as the chattel of her husband. Her domicile is automatically her husband's - that is to say, if he happens to be in America, she is also legally speaking in America, no matter where she might 'actually' be. She must have permission from him for all kinds of things - pledging any credit or making almost any kind of private financial arrangements; putting the children on her passport; in certain cases, if she needs to have a gynaecological operation.!!!

There is a painting called 'the unequal marriage' by Vasili Pukirev in it a girl of a bout 13 or so marries a very old man. It is a reminder that in high society this type of marriage of a young girl who would be probably illiterate would marry a much older man and have no right to her own money, property or legal status. The Unequal Marriage (1862), is a painting depicting the wedding ceremony of an elderly, high-ranking official and a young, visibly unhappy girl. This was one of the celebrated denunciatory pictures of the 1860s, revealing the unequal position of women and the corruption of bureaucracy. THAT was what feminism was against.

I would be in the camp of feminist that would argue that in law for the most part equality has been achieved. I would state that in Ireland however the abortion issue is still unacceptable to me as it stands.

By the way women on the whole are NOT interested in a guy for money we want our own monies :D . Seriously it's easy to say someone does not like you for money because well it's the perfect excuse you will never know. Not unless you become rich. How do poor guys reproduce then if all women want money??

By the way it's safe to say you should not be shaping your interpersonal relationships on what society says you should be talking to the person you are trying to get to know and stating your needs and getting to know theirs.

Some couples are more traditional and some are not. Some women want to be homemakers and some don't.

By the way men have the right to be attracted to what they are attracted to but they don't have a right to be jerks about it.

Each to their own. I am a skinny blonde girl. I know 'curvier girls ' who get WAY more attention than me because that is what some guys are into.

It is only people with low self esteem themselves who try and make others feel bad about themselves for having bad skin or a lazy eye etc.

They have to so they can justify treating that person like crap. And if one of 'the beautiful people ' is falling over themselves for you even if you treat them like crap then they are in it for something else or are just plain crazy.

It's the goldiggers who kiss ass... genuine women require genuine effort.

It is the truth though that this society has been raised to think sex and love are on tap when they are in fact precious and love is rare. It used to be a person only expected to fall in love and hook up a few times in a life time. Now they expect much more. It is rare to make that kind of connection. And people do not cherish it when they find it.

I have to just say though eastern Europeans both men and women put in waay more effort into relationships. It might be just the case that Irish culture is not set up for romance in a more liberal less socially constructed world. Beyond that though when men go on about finding women in notoriously much more misogynistic cultures it does sort of sound like ' I am going to pick up a female slave in the land when men still rule'. I simply think, 'rather her than me.'

I can tell you being bisexual dating men or women is tough because relationships are tough and it has less to do with gender and more to do with your own personal failings and bitterness as a woman or as a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Starting a sentence with..I'm all for gender equality but...is kinda like ..I'm not racist but...

jaja321 wrote: »
    Starting a sentence with..I'm all for gender equality but...is kinda like ..I'm not racist but...

Alright so, you think my OP was contradictary is that it? When did it once indicate any hostility to women. I made valid points.

Bill Maher says some interesting words to say here, albeit being a bit comedy of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x64cy3Bcr98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭newport2

I think one of the main problems with the perception of feminism is that so many people who define themselves as feminists mean different things by it and have different objectives, along with very different perceptions of how things currently stand in terms of equality.

Any movement that leaves it up to the individual members themselves to define what the movement itself means is going to meet a lot of opposition, primarily due to the extremists within it whose views are then extrapolated onto all members, particularly by people opposing it.

Most women and men just want to be treated equally, plain and simple.

• Advertisement

Some are better then others at defending there point. Some just love to get there point across. Some have a good point at heart but execute it awfully and get chopped down bit by bit......

To be honest, I have found it hard to put into words my thoughts on the matter and maybe it seems a bit incoherent. thanks for trying to understand though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Links234 wrote: »
    Equality isn't a zero sum game [...]
    An excellent way of putting it -- thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

robindch wrote: »
    An excellent way of putting it -- thanks.

Thanks :D I'm always proud of my skills as a languager :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

seenitall wrote: »
    I agree with the bolded bit, and that situation has come about because traditionally "the woman's place is in the home", so she gets the custody and the security of staying in the family home. When those outdated views change, so will the reality of divorce.

That remark you quoted relates to Mike, not yourself. His posts have been rather outrageous, even by AH standards.

That doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of women out there perfectly willing to take advantage of this biased law, WHILE screaming about equality in *other* areas of life. This is very clearly ridiculous.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Those ads don't tar ALL men with the same brush. You might as well argue Childline ads should be banned in case it offends parents.

No, but it tars only men with that brush. Never women. That's the problem.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    So it would have been as accurate to say 'what's up with these college societies calling for bans on....'

Perhaps you should try using the word 'some' as in 'some feminists are calling for some things to be banned' or 'some men think women should stay at home and have babies and never ever get a paying job.'

Inaccurate Blanket Statement is still Inaccurate.

But it's not just some fringe minority thing. The campaign against offensive Facebook pages was a massive international thing, for instance. You can't simply ignore it or sweep it aside - it is embedded in the current, 21st century meaning of the word "feminist" for better or worse.

As I said earlier, not all republicans support dissident violence, but a sizable enough portion do that I prefer to use the word "nationalist" to describe myself. When it comes to gender equality, I favour "egalitarian" - emphasizing that my beliefs are all about gender equality, but not all the extra stuff Feminism has absorbed in recent years.

To be honest, I have found it hard to put into words my feelings on the matter and maybe it seems a bit incoherent. thanks for trying to understand though.

This is why there are so many things I'd love to post about on here but don't.

I find it easier to express my self threw talking then typing.

Mod

Honest to jaysus how many times do we have to remind people that calling out a troll is against the charter, and tbh, lufties is right - if you think he's a troll you shouldn't be responding - also against the charter [see feeding the troll for further info].

It would be best for this discussion if we could all refrain from personalising the argument please.

Can we get a large picture of Sean Bean emblazoned in the AH header which says "One does not simply feed the trolls"?

Can we get a large picture of Sean Bean emblazoned in the AH header which says "One does not simply feed the trolls"?

What do you mean by that Pat?

• Advertisement

Look czarcasm, if you can't take or respect my point of view that's fine, but please lose the condescending attitude.

Oh dear... You must be new here :D:D:D:D:D
    *fondles czarcasm affectionately*

Advertisement