Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminism and the emasculation of men

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Some food for thought, perhaps.

On censorship: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10195151/Why-has-feminism-become-obsessed-with-censoring-the-enemy.html

On UK ad campaigns villifying boys as the sole perpetrators of teenage relationship abuse: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhPUpkoCYAAv5dN.png:large

Honestly though, is it really so surprising that lads are getting fed up with this kind of sh!te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

For any "Guys" out there worried about their role in society, getting in touch with their Feminine Side, being emasculated by squawky women in high-heels and trousers, and other similar early-warning signs of The Ghey, may I suggest pick-up-your-balls-and-load-up-your-cannon, and have a shufti at the guidance here:

http://bofh.ntk.net/KiwiBlokes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

pablo128 wrote: »
    How many women are plumbers, carpenters, electricians, builders? All good paying jobs.
    Every time a job is advertised in our place, a warehouse, we get thousands of cv's emailed in. Guess how many are from women. None.
    You can't have it both ways.

A female friend of mine was trying to get an apprenticeship as a carpenter a few years back.
    She sent out hundreds of CVs, the only reply she got was from one company telling her they can't hire women because they've only got one toilet on the premises.

If you can't get a foot in the door trying to learn the trade, how on earth are you supposed to apply for a position for a fully trained job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tigger123

jimgoose wrote: »
    For any "Guys" out there worried about their role in society, getting in touch with their Feminine Side, being emasculated by squawky women in high-heels and trousers, and other similar early-warning signs of The Ghey, may I suggest pick-up-your-balls-and-load-up-your-cannon, and have a shufti at the guidance here:

http://bofh.ntk.net/KiwiBlokes/

There's an article in there on how to do a poop, just in case anyone's looking for any pointers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Shenshen wrote: »
    A female friend of mine was trying to get an apprenticeship as a carpenter a few years back.
    She sent out hundreds of CVs, the only reply she got was from one company telling her they can't hire women because they've only got one toilet on the premises.

If you can't get a foot in the door trying to learn the trade, how on earth are you supposed to apply for a position for a fully trained job?

I know quite a few women qualified in building trades. Back in the 80s certain London Councils brought in an initiative for women who found they couldn't get apprenticeships - headlines at the time screamed about quotas and discrimination and takkenourbleedinjobsinnit.

One friend of mine is a carpenter with over 25 years experience whose hobby is making bespoke guitars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

tigger123 wrote: »
    There's an article in there on how to do a poop, just in case anyone's looking for any pointers.

I always knew they're was a manlier way to take a dump :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I know quite a few women qualified in building trades. Back in the 80s certain London Councils brought in an initiative for women who found they couldn't get apprenticeships - headlines at the time screamed about quotas and discrimination and takkenourbleedinjobsinnit.

One friend of mine is a carpenter with over 25 years experience whose hobby is making bespoke guitars.

Yes, when I was talking to my friend she did say she thought that maybe if she had considered relocating to a big city, she might have had a chance. But back then, she was still looking after her mother and moving out was not really an option.

She gave up the idea of the apprenticeship and went back to school.
    She's an architect now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

What did Hilary Clinton do every morning after she shaved her pussy?

Sent him to work in the Oval Office....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Some food for thought, perhaps.

On censorship: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10195151/Why-has-feminism-become-obsessed-with-censoring-the-enemy.html

On UK ad campaigns villifying boys as the sole perpetrators of teenage relationship abuse: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhPUpkoCYAAv5dN.png:large

Honestly though, is it really so surprising that lads are getting fed up with this kind of sh!te?
    Nobody is suggesting it's surprising. Misdirected anger/blame is what's being objected to, not the cause of the anger itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Nope.

Now see below for another example of the kind of ****e people get fed up with:
    DazMarz wrote: »
    What did Hilary Clinton do every morning after she shaved her pussy?

Sent him to work in the Oval Office....

And this thanked by the OP. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Obliq wrote: »
    Nope.

Its a joke FFS :rolleyes:

Nobody is suggesting it's surprising. Misdirected anger/blame is what's being objected to, not the cause of the anger itself.

How is it misdirected? These campaigns are self styled as feminist campaigns, you can't simply pretend they don't exist.

Obliq wrote: »
    Nope.

Would you prefer if jokes of that nature were deleted by moderators? I have seen many self styled feminists on many different websites who call for same.

Would you prefer if jokes of that nature were deleted by moderators? I have seen many self styled feminists on many different websites who call for same.

Where on Earth do you find all the time to keep track of 'self-styled feminists' you seem to have an amazing amount of exposure to the things they apparently say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I was just trying to lighten things up a little... :(

Not meant to be taken seriously... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Where on Earth do you find all the time to keep track of 'self-styled feminists' you seem to have an amazing amount of exposure to the things they apparently say?

Very easily. The control the liberal media.

I do have a severe problem with the promotion of censorship by any special interest group though and I found the campaigning against Blurred Lines in universities as a cause célèbre last year to be utterly misguided and quite frankly repellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

So to the people defending feminism....

This upcoming EU legislation which puts feminist groups among a protected species which cannot be criticised without threat of criminal prosecution...

Does this qualify as the nutso ones to you? If yes then you must admit their profound influence.

If not, and you admit it is the moderates extending their legislative influence, how do you defend such a radical imposition on free speech?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Ah Clairefontaine! Delighted you could make it! :)

Very easily. The control the liberal media.

I do have a severe problem with the promotion of censorship by any special interest group though and I found the campaigning against Blurred Lines in universities as a cause célèbre last year to be utterly misguided and quite frankly repellent.

And Denis O Brien controls much of the media in Ireland and Murdoch continues to be a global player...Anyone who thinks those who own and control or contribute to media outlets are unbiased must be naive in the extreme. One simply considers what they publish and the authors while taking into account any bias.

The Irish Times is considered by many to be the 'Liberal Media' in Ireland yet they publish columns by quite a few members/patrons of the Iona Institute. So which are they? Fundamentalist Catholic or Liberal?

However, the last newspaper I saw hatpat link was The Telegraph - not by any stretch of the imagine could that be called the liberal media. It also has a view of feminists appears to confirm pat's view of them.

I am never sure exactly who this 'Liberal Media' is - there is even a rumour RTE is part of it.... :eek:- or why I so rarely read the people who complain about it acknowledge the existence of a Right/Conservative media.

So to the people defending feminism....

This upcoming EU legislation which puts feminist groups among a protected species which cannot be criticised without threat of criminal prosecution...

Does this qualify as the nutso ones to you? If yes then you must admit their profound influence.

If not, and you admit it is the moderates extending their legislative influence, how do you defend such a radical imposition on free speech?

linky?

To the actual legislation please. Not some opinion piece in the Torygraph or Mail or a blog by Joe Blogg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

when I was a young lad, I played with toy swords and footballs. raised by fascists so I was.

Now you're not allowed play with toy swords or guns because its not gender neutral and promotes violence. You just can't win.

And Denis O Brien controls much of the media in Ireland and Murdoch continues to be a global player...Anyone who thinks those who own and control or contribute to media outlets are unbiased must be naive in the extreme. One simply considers what they publish and the authors while taking into account any bias.

The Irish Times is considered by many to be the 'Liberal Media' in Ireland yet they publish columns by quite a few members/patrons of the Iona Institute. So which are they? Fundamentalist Catholic or Liberal?

However, the last newspaper I saw hatpat link was The Telegraph - not by any stretch of the imagine could that be called the liberal media. It also has a view of feminists appears to confirm pat's view of them.

I am never sure exactly who this 'Liberal Media' is - there is even a rumour RTE is part of it.... :eek:- or why I so rarely read the people who complain about it acknowledge the existence of a Right/Conservative media.

The liberal media thing was a joke… It's something I've seen parroted by people complaining about feminism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

linky?

To the actual legislation please. Not some opinion piece in the Torygraph or Mail or a blog by Joe Blogg.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2009_2014/documents/libe/dv/11_revframework_statute_/11_revframework_statute_en.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Also, not all feminists are liberals.

karlitob wrote: »
    Now you're not allowed play with toy swords or guns because its not gender neutral and promotes violence. You just can't win.

It's PC liberal correctness gone mad!!! Soon they'll be castrating little boys!!!

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Also, not all feminists are liberals.

I don't know where you're getting your information but it's obviously wrong. Feminists are a liberal hivemind collective out to destroy hard working men. Created by zionists, apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 SYT2000

I don't know where you're getting your information but it's obviously wrong. Feminists are a liberal hivemind collective out to destroy hard working men. Created by zionists, apparently.

You could use the "hive mind" argument to defend Nazis too. Ultimately it's a stupid argument.

Feminism in general isn't concerned with equality. The evidence doesn't show that it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

FTA69 wrote: »
    What percentage of the parliament are women?
    - there's no restriction on women becoming politicians.
    - if there's less percentage of parliamentarians that can't be only men's fault?
    Why do women on average earn less than men for similar work?
    - no they don't.
    - Pick a public sector job (over 375,000 public v 1,250,000 private sector Q3 2013 CSO stats)) - all pay scales are established regardless of your gender. A male nurse earns exactly the same as a female nurse!
    - pick a minimum wage unskilled private sector job, are you saying women are on less minimum wage than men
    Why are women under-represented for promotion in the professions?
    - it is exceptionally hard for a man to be promoted in nursing, physio, OT, teaching etc as they are DOMINATED by woman (Freudian typing?). There's no discussion to ensure equality of gender in these workplaces?
    Why is maternity constantly seen as a barrier for a woman's career?
    - I refer to the last point. How a hospital or school can manage with all the maternity leave is crazy
    - women getting paid more on maternity leave than being at work, then giving out yards for it being taxed appropriately so that they earn the same in work than out of work (hardly a shining example of feminism)
    - well known examples of teachers getting pregnant at certain times of the years to correlate with summer holidays
    - why not the question, of how do we manage a public service with so many maternity leaves (& parental leaves)
    (By the by, I'm all for extending the period of maternity leave, I'm just posing the question - besides I think it helps with the next point)
    Why is domestic violence still prevalent?
    - you make that statement as if, if only we could get rid of men, then domestic violence would be reduced.
    - can men be blamed for domestic abuse (men are also abused)
    - surely its the fact that these men are not taught to respect ALL people and not just men
    - are some of these men from single parent homes, commonly mothers only
    - did their mothers not teach them to respect women
    - you make it seem like domestic violence perpetrators don't hit other men
    (naturally I am being facetious to make the point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

SYT2000 wrote: »
    You could use the "hive mind" argument to defend Nazis too. Ultimately it's a stupid argument.

Feminism in general isn't concerned with equality. The evidence doesn't show that it does.

Going Godwin with your very first post is quite the baller move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

karlitob wrote: »

- it is exceptionally hard for a man to be promoted in nursing, physio, OT, teaching etc as they are DOMINATED by woman (Freudian typing?). There's no discussion to ensure equality of gender in these workplaces?

Quick note on this part of your post:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagoudreau/2012/05/21/a-new-obstacle-for-professional-women-the-glass-escalator/

"“Men that enter female-dominated professions tend to be promoted at faster rates than women in those professions,” explains Caren Goldberg, Ph.D., an assistant professor of management at American University’s Kogod School of Business who has researched the phenomenon. “When you look at senior management, you tend to see men disproportionately represented. So while there may be less than 5% of all nurses who are male, you see a much larger percentage than 5% in senior-level positions like hospital administrators.”"

Seems like the opposite is true.

Advertisement