Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminism and the emasculation of men

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

lufties wrote: »
    Ok i never lashed out firstly :rolleyes:,
    I'm just speaking from experience. I suppose perhaps in some sense 'getting the girl', is not as easy these days, as women don't need/rely on men as much anymore. As a previous poster pointed out feninism and women's equality has all happened so quickly, there is no support structures for men and their new roles. Also, back in the dark ages women were considered more feminine. I can't imagine they were down the pub lewing pints in the pub or pissing in the streets(I say that light-heartedly :) )

Light-hearted me hole, Lufties. *Passive aggressive smile*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I suppose perhaps in some sense 'getting the girl', is not as easy these days, as women don't need/rely on men as much anymore.

Women aren't yours to "get" though, they're people who can make their own decisions on whoever they want to be with. The fact that women are less oppressed than they were in the past doesn't mean that men are now being screwed over.
    There is actually a conspiracy that feminism was spearheaded by zionists so that women could be taxed in society rather than for something more noble

Jesus Christ almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Feminism is an awful load of shyte. Sure nobody is opressing women around here anymore. Rebels without a cause is what they are

What percentage of the parliament are women? Why do women on average earn less than men for similar work? Why are women under-represented for promotion in the professions? Why is maternity constantly seen as a barrier for a woman's career? Why is domestic violence still prevalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

What is it you want to see happen then?

honestly I'm not really sure,Perhaps less crap from feminists and more respect and less disdain for men in society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm just speaking from experience. I suppose perhaps in some sense 'getting the girl', is not as easy these days, as women don't need/rely on men as much anymore. As a previous poster pointed out feninism and women's equality has all happened so quickly, there is no support structures for men and their new roles. Also, back in the dark ages women were considered more feminine. I can't imagine they were down the pub lewing pints in the pub or pissing in the streets(I say that light-heartedly :) )

Ah fádo, fádo back in the rare auld times when men were men and women were gentle creatures prone to fainting and tainting the ground with their menstrual blood and people wouldn't bat an eyelid if I put me pint of Guinness on the top of the coffin of my consumption-riddled child because we all showed each other a bit of respect. Grrreat days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Links234 wrote: »
    Also, when people complain about the "emasculation" of men, it always raises my eyebrow.

Really, when you look at it, men today have a lot more freedom than previous generations to do what they want and act how they want freely, instead of subscribing to the notion of what a man should be. Guys can be sensitive, and show more emotion, fathers can be nurturing to their kids. Rather than being "emasculated" you could say that a lot of men are more free to be themselves, not every man is or wants to be a staunch lumberjack or otherwise stereotypically masculine charicature you know.

i agree with most of your points but i'd like to point out things like ads or fashion trends, in much the same way women are constantly barraged with the supermodel figure that they all must have or whatnot guys too also are under pressure (at times)

Some examples would be manbags, mancara or the need to be cleanshaven and must require the most sensative after skin protection for when you shave for the 20th time today.

Now if you want to wear any of that then grand i'm not critising you but several times my ma has bought me clothes that are in and trendy, these include pink shirts, a manbag as big as a suitcase really oh and lets not forget the pink tshirt with yellow glitter on it. She didn't buy these cause she thought i'd like them but she wanted me to be fashionable and sure everyone is wearing them these days.

Again no issue with people wearing what they want its when they feel they have to wear something, although that arguement could be used for many different topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

"The fact that women are less oppressed than they were in the past doesn't mean that men are now being screwed over."

In fairness divorce screws men over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

honestly I'm not really sure,Perhaps less crap from feminists and more respect and less disdain for men in society.

Feminists want less crap from the likes of you and more respect and less disdain for women in society.

FTA69 wrote: »
    What percentage of the parliament are women? Why do women on average earn less than men for similar work? Why are women under-represented for promotion in the professions? Why is maternity constantly seen as a barrier for a woman's career? Why is domestic violence still prevalent?

Domestic violence happens to men too in case you didn't know. Women in parliament? Mary harney, hanafin and coughlan..enough said.

Domestic violence happens to men too in case you didn't know. Women in parliament? Mary harney, hanafin and coughlan..enough said.

Then go campaign against it instead of bitching about how women are everything that's wrong with your life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Sweden seems to have a lot of women in Parliament.Tampons are cheap,alcohol is expensive. Damn Feminists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

i agree with most of your points but i'd like to point out things like ads or fashion trends, in much the same way women are constantly barraged with the supermodel figure that they all must have or whatnot guys too also are under pressure (at times)

Some examples would be manbags, mancara or the need to be cleanshaven and must require the most sensative after skin protection for when you shave for the 20th time today.

Now if you want to wear any of that then grand i'm not critising you but several times my ma has bought me clothes that are in and trendy, these include pink shirts, a manbag as big as a suitcase really oh and lets not forget the pink tshirt with yellow glitter on it. She didn't buy these cause she thought i'd like them but she wanted me to be fashionable and sure everyone is wearing them these days.

Again no issue with people wearing what they want its when they feel they have to wear something, although that arguement could be used for many different topics.

No disagreement with there, I get enough of it from my mum that I should put more of an effort in, wear nice dresses and makeup, and gives out to me that I'm "ruining my face" with piercings. I'm far more comfortable in jeans, t-shirts and doc martens thanks! ;)

Light-hearted me hole, Lufties. *Passive aggressive smile*

That's your opinion legs.

OK specifically - what crap from feminists? and where do men need more respect within society?

If you're going to start a thread like this then you're going to have to back it up.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Then go campaign against it instead of bitching about how women are everything that's wrong with your life

when did I once say that?

Women in parliament? Mary harney, hanafin and coughlan..enough said.

Ah ffs, if you're going to pick just 3 politicians to prove your argument, you should pick three that actually presently have seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Because it is. If you accept that, you'll find it answers your questions on average pay and promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Men seem to be portrayed as total idiots in advertising today.if you were to reverse the roles in many of the ads you see and hear they would not be allowed on the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The OP is spot on, the white heterosexual male aged 18-40 is the only member of society left the media can take the piss out of without a backlash.

Anyone else it's sexist, racist, homophobic, ageist ... etc..

-Back on topic, just some things I notice look at any TV show where there is a trivial competition between men and women - the women will ALWAYS win, again pressure by the BS feminist PC brigade.

Even kids shows can take the piss out of men and have everyone laughing at the idiot daddy cos he's such a muddled fool - imagine they did the same about mammy ?? UPROAR.

WTA (women's tennis association) moaning for years for equal pay in Wimbledon - finally they gave in under pressure and being bullied because they were being sexist pigs for not paying them the same money FOR LESS tennis - they play best of 3 sets, while men play best of 5.

They should have agreed but changed it to best of 5 set matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

How many women are plumbers, carpenters, electricians, builders? All good paying jobs.
    Every time a job is advertised in our place, a warehouse, we get thousands of cv's emailed in. Guess how many are from women. None.
    You can't have it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Il have a an onion thanks james

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

crockholm wrote: »
    Sweden seems to have a lot of women in Parliament.Tampons are cheap,alcohol is expensive. Damn Feminists
    Iceland had a openly gay female prime minister.
    In 2010, her government banned strip clubs, paying for nudity in restaurants, and other means of employers profiting from employees' nudity - the first such ban in a Western democratic country. Jóhanna commented; "The Nordic countries are leading the way on women's equality, recognizing women as equal citizens rather than commodities for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Sexism exists.
    Some people dont like steps taken to reduce sexism.

Have I got it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Domestic violence happens to men too in case you didn't know.

Yes it does, and I would think that this is a problem of gender roles in society, because guys who are the victims of domestic violence aren't taken seriously and are viewed as "emasculated" or otherwise not manly enough like a man should be. Another problem that arises from a worldview that says men should be tough masculine grr argh men, and women should be feminine dainty little flowers, it tends to erase serious issues like the above. If you subscribe to the idea that men are being emasculated and that's a bad thing, then poor Johnny who's a victim of domestic violence, well that's his fault for not being manly enough, isn't it?

pablo128 wrote: »
    How many women are plumbers, carpenters, electricians, builders? All good paying jobs.
    Every time a job is advertised in our place, a warehouse, we get thousands of cv's emailed in. Guess how many are from women. None.
    You can't have it both ways.

What does this prove about anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I can get behind the lack of support for men in some aspects of society today thing. Especially when it comes to parental rights, there is still a fair amount of stigma for stay at home fathers and men are still very reluctant to come forward about spousal abuse and sexual assault. I'm all for support structures for that type of thing, they are very real issue.

But women not being easy or feminine enough for you is not a real issue. Your views on what women should be are very 1950's. Perhaps you would have an easier time meeting a woman if you treated them as equal to you? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The changing role of men in society is an interesting topic, however your opinions on the matter are facile, weak, and a bit childish, you will have to up your game a bit if you want to engage in a debate with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

the_monkey wrote: »
    The OP is spot on, the white heterosexual male aged 18-40 is the only member of society left the media can take the piss out of without a backlash.

Anyone else it's sexist, racist, homophobic, ageist ... etc..

-Back on topic, just some things I notice look at any TV show where there is a trivial competition between men and women - the women will ALWAYS win, again pressure by the BS feminist PC brigade.

Even kids shows can take the piss out of men and have everyone laughing at the idiot daddy cos he's such a muddled fool - imagine they did the same about mammy ?? UPROAR.

Peppa Pigs daddy is a classic example of the bumbling fool male role model (if a wonky-eyed, badly drawn anthropomorphic pig can be classed as a role model). However all this 'stoopid male' stuff in TV and movies seems to me to be a case of over-compensation for the realities of the real world, and a sign that the pendulum still hasn't reached half way, let alone swung too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

What does this prove about anything?
    They bang on about being entitled to the same jobs and pay and conditions as men, which they are absolutely entitled to by the way.
    When it comes to applying for good paying jobs but which require actual hard work, many of them are nowhere to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Muise... wrote: »
    Because it is. If you accept that, you'll find it answers your questions on average pay and promotion.

This should not be an issue tho. Women require a little extra time off work after a child, but not enough that it should be a significant barrier to promotion. I believe the idea that the woman should stay at home indefinitely after the child is born plays a big role here. Why do women feel pressure to do this and not men? These are the stereo types that are damaging and need to be done away with.

Thankfully things are moving in the right direction tho, so I'm confident in time this will no longer be an issue.

Advertisement