Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminism and the emasculation of men

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lufties wrote: »
    whats a piv?
    Penis In Vagina. And the bloggist and her tiny minority of appreciative commenters are nutters, so safely disregard.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

No - that's what some nutcase believes.

I could link to some crazy study written by men and claim it to be what all MRAs believe, but I won't because that adds nothing to the discussion except to rile those taking part.

It's inflammatory nonsense and well you know it.

Don't dismiss nutcases. It's a slippery slope. Just look at the Salem Witch Trials, the McCarthy Era, and Ireland's theocratic age.

They can have a profound influence, and often use and manipulate more moderate supporters to get their way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

lufties wrote: »
    whats a piv?

Penis in vagina. The 'all men are rapists' concept taken to a new level of insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

An interesting statistic I came across for The ESRI, is that 34% of woman now have a higher education level that their male partners which is a big change from the past, patterns of male/female interaction in Irish society are changing, however that has nothing to do with feminism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Don't dismiss nutcases. It's a slippery slope. Just look at the Salem Witch Trials, the McCarthy Era, and Ireland's theocratic age.

They can have a profound influence, and often use and manipulate more moderate supporters to get their way.

They can only have a profound influence if people in power allow it. That woman is a nutter on a blog that is visited by a tiny minority of crazy feminists and crazy mra's. She has no influence in the mainstream for her crazy views. The Iona Institute on the other hand…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Mike747 wrote: »
    Penis in vagina. The 'all men are rapists' concept taken to a new level of insanity.

as insane as your 'all today's feminists believe this' concept.

And the best way to stop that, is to dismiss them as nutcases and ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tigger123

This is what I (and others) were referring to earlier. It's not what today#s feminists believe, it's what that woman believes.
    Honestly, I would be reluctant to vote for a woman of childbearing age or who had a family, simply because of over commitment. Politics is a hard game with long hours.

I don't and never did buy the line of having it all, everything comes with a price.

While everyone picked on Sara Palin for various reasons, the main reason I would not vote for her is all the kids she has, including a new baby. I know what having ONE child is like, how it absorbs your focus, never mind 8 or nine.

While its all nicey nicey to talk about maternity leave rights, in politics you need to make hard decisions and sometimes under extreme time pressures, especially if its part of a global military player like the US.

Call me a sexist, I really don't care. I am practical at the bottom line.

And would you vote for a man who has kids? If so, why a man and not a woman? Is it because a woman's place is in the home, looking after the childer?

They can only have a profound influence if people in power allow it. That woman is a nutter on a blog that is visited by a tiny minority of crazy feminists and crazy mra's. She has no influence in the mainstream for her crazy views. The Iona Institute on the other hand…

Look, I went to college in the US, they are everywhere. We got rape whistles in our welcome packs.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Penis In Vagina. And the bloggist and her tiny minority of appreciative commenters are nutters, so safely disregard.

Are they a tiny minority though? And remember young women are growing up with this stuff. It's warping their minds, creating the perception that men, somehow, are the enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

This is one sick puppy. A neurotic, bullying lesbian with an awful take on life. Her site reminds me of the far right crap that you get in xenophobic publications. This is what makes her tick
    comments
    You’re on my blog, so it’s my rules.

This is a woman-only and radfem-only space. All women interested in forwarding radical feminist discussion and thought are invited to comment.

Men, don’t even try commenting on my blog, because I’m not going to publish it.

Nor am I going to publish any trolly anti-feminist ****e, threats and personal attacks, ****e that evinces basic comprehension of radical feminism, derailing ****e and reading comprehension failures. Seriously what did you think?

I include as anti-feminist ****e, all woman-silencing and guilt-tripping tactics that pass as feminism, such as intersectionality; butch/fem; infinite number of “phobias”; reformism; liberalism; het-bashing; radical lesbianism; queer & gender & pomo, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd kinda disagree here M. Throughout history and cultures men, particularly young men had such frameworks. From huntergatherer tribal types being initiated into adulthood, to men going through apprenticeships, even mandatory military service, being instructed by men who weren't their fathers. While women have some of this, it doesn't seem to be nearly as built in as men across time and culture. It seems men do need, or might benefit from some sort of framework to get through this phase of their lives. Effed if I know how that would work today though. An interesting study for someone might be to compare Israeli men who have mandatory military service with men from a similar western culture who don't and play spot the diffs in things like mental illness, delinquency, etc. I wonder would any effect be present?

While I agree there was a structure for men I disagree that women's lives did not have the same level of structure and expectation.

Women had no choices - unlike men who at least had some depending on socio-economic status. Marry, have children (often a death sentence itself) , work if it was an economic necessity but above all hand over all legal rights to either Father or husband regardless of 'class'. In a class ridden society a woman from a wealthy background had less legal rights and protections that a man from the poorest background - he could at least take the King's schilling or strike off in search of fame/fortune. Women never had that option unless they passed as men (Anne Bonney/Dr James Barry to name two Irish women who took that option).

For a long time for a woman to dress as a man in order to 'pass' was punishable by death - because she had dared to step outside the boundaries set for her gender.

And the best way to stop that, is to dismiss them as nutcases and ignore them.

You can't when they have inflitrated academia, legislators, lobbiests and the judiciary.

We never should have legalized it.

Haha, go way out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Devils advocate;
    FTA69 wrote: »
    What percentage of the parliament are women?
    What percentage of women vote for women?
    Why do women on average earn less than men for similar work?
    You're either comparing like for like or you're not.
    Why are women under-represented for promotion in the professions?
    Which professions? Can they work overtime if needed?
    Why is maternity constantly seen as a barrier for a woman's career?
    Being out of work for a couple of months can do that alright.
    Why is domestic violence still prevalent?
    No idea on this one. Domestic violence still happens to men and women.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Honestly, I would be reluctant to vote for a woman of childbearing age or who had a family, simply because of over commitment. Politics is a hard game with long hours.

I don't and never did buy the line of having it all, everything comes with a price.

While everyone picked on Sara Palin for various reasons, the main reason I would not vote for her is all the kids she has, including a new baby. I know what having ONE child is like, how it absorbs your focus, never mind 8 or nine.

While its all nicey nicey to talk about maternity leave rights, in politics you need to make hard decisions and sometimes under extreme time pressures, especially if its part of a global military player like the US.

Call me a sexist, I really don't care. I am practical at the bottom line.

That's not really practical, but in fact sexist. Why punish women for having families? Male politicians have families too?

Are they a tiny minority though? And remember young women are growing up with this stuff. It's warping their minds, creating the perception that men, somehow, are the enemy.

Yes, yes they are a tiny minority. Today's feminists are more concerned that young women think being feminist means men will dislike them. And you're not helping.

seenitall wrote: »
    You're being serious, aren't you?

Yes. Men get screwed over when it comes to divorce. If the referendum was held today I would vote no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

This is one sick puppy. A neurotic, bullying lesbian with an awful take on life. Her site reminds me of the far right crap that you get in xenophobic publications. This is what makes her tick

I wasn't going to post here again, but that woman's views on PIV = rape has boggled my little mind.

What sort of life does she lead? An enjoyable one? Doubtful. So much hate....

Ugh...what a disgusting blog. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Domestic violence happens to both men and women, and as a guy who was formerly in a horrific relationship involving constant harassment, stalking and blackmail, it makes me sick to my stomach to see those ads on TV with a lad checking his girlfriend's phone or whatever and then saying that lads need to take it easy. Everyone knows a guy who was treated like absolute sh!t by a girlfriend when he was a teenager - why are we always portrayed as the villain in such ad campaigns? :(

It's absolutely sickening, and it DOES pile evidence on to the idea that lads in general are being demonized on a constant basis, while women are painted as great and innocent. Equality means equality in everything, not just in the things which you are at a disadvantage in. You know, it also means things like "a girl treating a lad like crap will be regarded just as harshly as the reverse", and "a woman who attacks somebody will be treated the same way in court as a lad" etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

jaja321 wrote: »
    That's not really practical, but in fact sexist. Why punish women for having families? Male politicians have families too?

Why do you think women have breasts? To keep the bra makers in business? Just analyse what you've just said and ponder for a while.

Why do you think women have breasts? To keep the bra makers in business?

I don't know… to stop gay hens pecking them while they're trying to whistle?

Oh and one other thing - what's up with feminists demanding censorship so often recently? It doesn't matter if a song's lyrics piss you off or someone wears a t shirt that pisses you off - their freedom of expression doesn't end the second somebody gets offended, you have every right to criticize it all you want but calling for everything offensive to be banned, restricted or censored is repressive, and from my own experience debating this issue with women I know IRL, is seriously putting them off. Most of them don't want to be part of a movement which campaigns for the songs they dance to on Friday nights to be banned from radio stations and college campuses. :rolleyes:

Why do you think women have breasts? To keep the bra makers in business? Just analyse what you've just said and ponder for a while.

Why do you think there are handy little pumps available for the last ohhhh 50 years or so....

And special bottles for feeding babies - they have been around for centuries!

Have a ponder about that for a while....

Oh and one other thing - what's up with feminists demanding censorship so often recently? It doesn't matter if a song's lyrics piss you off or someone wears a t shirt that pisses you off - their freedom of expression doesn't end the second somebody gets offended, you have every right to criticize it all you want but calling for everything offensive to be banned, restricted or censored is repressive, and from my own experience debating this issue with women I know IRL, is seriously putting them off. Most of them don't want to be part of a movement which campaigns for the songs they dance to on Friday nights to be banned from radio stations and college campuses. :rolleyes:

I am a feminist and I have NEVER called for ANYTHING to be censored EVER.

What's up with all of these feminists all do this/that/the other comments lately?

Feminism isn't a card-carrying party-line type organisation. I disagree with other feminists on this one - because I think it's more efficient to flush ignorant types out in the open with rapey lyrics. Good to know who to avoid. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Clearly they stop womens ability to function as politicians.

Breast pumps, bottles, and supporting partners be handy yo.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

What's up with all of these feminists all do this/that/the other comments lately?

It's hard to ignore it when it makes news headlines around the world, feminist groups calling for Blurred Lines to be banned in various venues and boycotting Facebook advertisers to pressure them into removing "offensive" Facebook pages.

Again, I don't want to impede their freedom of expression, if they want to engage in such activities they have every right to do so, but it has certainly ensured that I will never apply the label to myself despite being an ardent believer in egalitarianism for all humans, and as I said from talking to women I know, is something that is actually pissing a lot of people off, not just myself.

Bannasidhe wrote: »

It's probably in relation to the famous case of Blurred Lines being banned in many student unions because of pressure from women's groups within the colleges. A move that was completely ridiculous imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes. Men get screwed over when it comes to divorce. If the referendum was held today I would vote no.

Hmmm... something tells me that if it were women being screwed over in divorces currently, you'd not have half as much a problem with it. Just a guess. ;)

Anyway, let's go back to the good old times of having to be legally tied til death to someone you can't stand, rather than fixing the system so that the dissolution is more balanced and equitable. Makes perfect sense.

Advertisement