Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminism and the emasculation of men

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

:( This is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Based on your own posts.

Ah look I couldn't really give a shyte...Go and snipe elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

lufties wrote: »

It's the 'shame those who don't follow our agenda' tactic, ignore.

This guys sums up what today's feminists are all about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdULeAE1aw8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

What exactly is so objectionable about what I'm saying? If you don't want to be challenged, then there's no point posting views.
    You know full well this thread and your subsequent posts to it are polarising and inflammatory. "men are expected to pander to every whim and take any ****e that women throw at them.If not, they're labelled a chauvanist."

You cannot honestly think that's a fair thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Hmmm.
    Trolling: from under a bridge. Sniping: from a lofty height.

I think Femme Fatale has the right altitude. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Should women get paid the same for the same job and work? Undoubtedly YES!!!! Men and women should have the ability to be and act like who they want as long as it isn't illegal or go against the public good.
    Add in the same anti-social hours, and the same family unfriendly policies, and you have my agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Mike747 wrote: »
    It's the 'shame those who don't follow our agenda' tactic, ignore.

This guys sums up what today's feminists are all about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdULeAE1aw8

That fedora must be a bit tight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

the_monkey wrote: »
    -Back on topic, just some things I notice look at any TV show where there is a trivial competition between men and women - the women will ALWAYS win, again pressure by the BS feminist PC brigade.

What are these TV shows? Are they in Spain?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What exactly is so objectionable about what I'm saying? If you don't want to be challenged, then there's no point posting views.
    You know full well this thread and your subsequent posts to it are polarising and inflammatory. "men are expected to pander to every whim and take any ****e that women throw at them.If not, they're labelled a chauvanist."

You cannot honestly think that's a fair thing to say.

In some cases yes, some men have become meek and afraid of women and how to act around them for some reason..and before you say, well i don't know any losers like that. I can tell you there's a lot of men who are like this. Normally, If I'm out with a group of men, I'm generally the only one that will approach a group of women( ok if it's more than 2 together, then no way :) ).
    I'm not blaming women for this of course, but I wonder why men are like this and lack the courage to communicate for fear of being lambasted.

Anyhow, regarding your comments, I don't mind replying to you, but when you snipe like that, I tend to not respect your postings and don't feel the need to reply. I also don't appreciate you insinuating that I've have an issue with Irish women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

GenieOz wrote: »
    Right, not everyone calls for the same thing, but when you call yourself the same thing as the extremists(The loud minority) then you're going to be guilty by association.

As you said - it is a minority. Why should I allow radicals to dictate what I call myself?

MRA use the word 'MEN' - are you going to stop calling yourself one amongst 'men'?

• Advertisement

Muise... wrote: »
    Hmmm.
    Trolling: from under a bridge. Sniping: from a lofty height.

I think Femme Fatale has the right altitude. :)

If you think I'm trolling, then don't bother posting on the thread, simples ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

In some cases yes, some men have become meek and afraid of women and how to act around them for some reason..and before you say, well i don't know any losers like that. I can tell you there's a lot of men who are like this. Normally, If I'm out with a group of men, I'm generally the only one that will approach a group of women( ok if it's more than 2 together, then no way :) ).
    I'm not blaming women for this of course, but I wonder why men are like this and lack the courage to communicate for fear of being lambasted.

Anyhow, regarding your comments, I don't mind replying to you, but when you snipe like that, I tend to not respect your postings and don't feel the need to reply. I also don't appreciate you insinuating that I've have an issue with Irish women.

I agree with you that boys and men are in a cultural double bind. Don't expect any empathy though, no one wants to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Or his wife/her husband/his mother/her brother

I've never understood how people can construe the use of a pronoun as malicious or oppressive in this way. I've seen it many's a time but it's never made any sense, it's simply the way genitive pronouns work in English.

Did you miss the context or just ignore it?

I agree with you that boys and men are in a cultural double bind. Don't expect any empathy though, no one wants to do that.

I don't understand the premise of this... I wasn't expecting empathy, just a discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I still eat coco pops. There I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

beano345 wrote: »
    "The MRA stuff is f*cking abhorrent"

Tell that to the thousands of men who've gone through the divorce courts

Thousands of women I'm sure could tell of bad experiences as well, how men are treated in family law is a symptom of a very archaic system with many judges and solicitors with very old fashioned views. To think men are the only ones that get treated badly is missing the fundamental problem though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

There was an interesting article in the Guardian recently, based on a study, that (some) women - while wanting relationships to have a more equal footing between genders, actually (without being fully aware of it) prefer sex when the gender roles are more traditional (male dominant):
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/feb/14/does-equality-kill-sex

Obviously, doesn't apply to all women, but it's an interesting conflict in attitudes there - which I'm sure, has an analogous equivalent for men as well.

Note: Before people make assumptions about my views, I'm just pointing out a study I found interesting.

The funny thing is, women despise the 'nice guy', they're seen as boring, hell I've had exes admit that assholes are much more attractive. A good friend of mine goes out almost every night with the intention of scoring, he makes no bones about, and more often than not he succeeds.

There was an interesting article in the Guardian recently, based on a study, that (some) women - while wanting relationships to have a more equal footing between genders, actually (without being fully aware of it) prefer sex when the gender roles are more traditional (male dominant):
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/feb/14/does-equality-kill-sex

Obviously, doesn't apply to all women, but it's an interesting conflict in attitudes there - which I'm sure, has an analogous equivalent for men as well.

Note: Before people make assumptions about my views, I'm just pointing out a study I found interesting.
    I'm not sure what's so noteworthy about the above. People like things in different ways.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 111 ✭✭SPS1

FTA69 wrote: »
    This is complete fabrication. You'll find rampant male sexuality is actually celebrated while the opposite is actively derided. Hence why some men get termed "legends" for riding all around them while women are written off as "sluts" and "whores" for promiscuity.

Maybe because for a guy to actually get girls to have sex with him, requires desirable traits to females? (unless he is shagging anything that looks twice at him)
    Females like the majority of the animal kingdom, decide their partner amidst male competition. They have it much easier in terms of getting sex. You are equating males & females getting sex as equal scenarios....Which it is not at all.

But lets just completely ignore that women & men with any self-decency tend to avoid partners who sleep around on a whim, just so we can throw out stereotypical male behaviour of us seeing other males as "legends".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I'm not sure what's so noteworthy about the above. People like things in different ways.
    It was just interesting how the desire for more equal gender treatment, creates confusion for people sexually, because (for some - statistically significant set of people) it's, when applied in the bedroom and finding a partner in general, incompatible with what they desire sexually.

The funny thing is, women despise the 'nice guy'
    It'd be nice if you didn't apply this to all women; but I suppose that wouldn't be inflammatory and polarising enough.

I see Lufties thanked it though. His mask is useless at staying up.
    they're seen as boring, hell I've had exes admit that assholes are much more attractive.
    Insecure women in "liking bad boys" shocker.
    A good friend of mine goes out almost every night with the intention of scoring, he makes no bones about, and more often than not he succeeds.
    What's so noteworthy about that? Loads of men/women do it.

If women don't like the nice guy, then you and Lufties should be pulling women left, right and centre.
    You are both coming across as far from nice.

Mod

Honest to jaysus how many times do we have to remind people that calling out a troll is against the charter, and tbh, lufties is right - if you think he's a troll you shouldn't be responding - also against the charter [see feeding the troll for further info].

It would be best for this discussion if we could all refrain from personalising the argument please.

It'd be nice if you didn't apply this to all women; but I suppose that wouldn't be inflammatory and polarising enough.

If women don't like the nice guy, then you and Lufties should be pulling women left, right and centre.

I do ok with women, not as good as my buddy though, he's a total player and I can only watch and learn.

Women are always attracted to the dominant male. It's in the genes, goes back to primitive times. The alpha male will always get the girl.

We're all animals driven by instinct and all the intersectional theorists and tumblr blogs in the world isn't going to change that.

Nice because we have conflicting opinions..Oh I see, so therefore automatically, what you say is correct? For me, I actually would go for a drink with you, not because I think your nice but to thrash out your reasoning, as it's interesting.

That is not a PUA technique btw....God forbid :eek:, bless us and save us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I didn't actually, perhaps I should have. Then again approaching staff in a busy pub, I can only imagine the reaction I'd get.

They'd probably just laugh and tell you to fuck off.

Imagine this, probably that, but neither of you will ever know for certain if you don't report it, and if you don't take it seriously enough to report it, then how can you expect anyone to take it seriously enough to do anything about it.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Imagine this, probably that, but neither of you will ever know for certain if you don't report it, and if you don't take it seriously enough to report it, then how can you expect anyone to take it seriously enough to do anything about it.
    But it's more fun to whinge and not do anything, and subtly blame women dammit! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

But it's more fun to whinge and not do anything, and subtly blame women dammit! :(

Subtly?:confused:
    Yea about as subtle as a drunken Viking in a nunnery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I checked with the Missus and she says I'm not emasculated. Thanks be to God for that. I was worried for a minute after reading this. Personally, I think emasculation is for cissies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Can you still ride and make babies if you are emasculated?

Advertisement