Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feminism and the emasculation of men

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

lufties wrote: »
    Feminists want equality without accountability. Other things are they want to be paid equal but refuse to work as such. Male sexuality is shamed but female immorality is excused. men also get manipulated by women sexually. On tv men are portrayed as idiots while the woman is the dominant figure. Men are also expected to just nod along at whatever women say and hence becoming emasculated.
    Mike does a relatively good job of illustrating why you're wrong. If a male sleeps around or scores with a lot of women,we will be viewed as 'players' however if a girl does it,you get the likes of slut shaming.
    Mike747 wrote: »
    I do ok with women, not as good as my buddy though, he's a total player and I can only watch and learn.

Women are always attracted to the dominant male. It's in the genes, goes back to primitive times. The alpha male will always get the girl.

We're all animals driven by instinct and all the intersectional theorists and tumblr blogs in the world isn't going to change that.

Confidence wouldn't go astray but alpha male models are inaccurate. Not every woman shares the same taste in men. I'd also imagine it is somewhat of a weak trait if a person is under the impression that feminists have 'emasculated' them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Can you still ride and make babies if you are emasculated?

Pretty sure you can, I had about 10 pints the other night and 'twas no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Can you still ride and make babies if you are emasculated?
    Only if you beg after cooking the dinner and cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Mike does a relatively good job of illustrating why you're wrong. If a male sleeps around or scores with a lot of women,we will be viewed as 'players' however if a girl does it,you get the likes of slut shaming.

Ok, what about how women willingly sexualise themselves on tv Rhianna, miley cyrus and so on. It manipulates men to regard women as sexual objects. And promotes women to act in such a way.

Confidence wouldn't go astray but alpha male models are inaccurate. Not every woman shares the same taste in men. I'd also imagine it is somewhat of a weak trait if a person is under the impression that feminists have 'emasculated' them.

How can you not see that would be possible? Did we not read earlier about a nutty feminist who comes out with stuff like PIV is rape?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Ok, what about how women willingly sexualise themselves on tv Rhianna, miley cyrus and so on. It manipulates men to regard women as sexual objects. And promotes women to act in such a way.

Not every man nor woman holds up vacuous and fleeting celebrities as their role models to aspire to

Czarcasm wrote: »

Not every man nor woman holds up vacuous and fleeting celebrities as their role models to aspire to.

:(

*Dismounts wrecking ball*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Confidence wouldn't go astray but alpha male models are inaccurate. Not every woman shares the same taste in men.
    My dopey "Bad boys are so sexy!" phase was over by the age of about 19. "Bad boys" are fuktards, as are the women who fall for them because of their "badness".
    The other scenario is a man or woman seeming really decent but they're actually a dreadful human being, just great at manipulating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Oh quit the disingenuousness. You know full well what I'm referring to is the unfair inflammatory comments you're making, not that you have a different opinion to me. It's not a matter of a different opinion anyway; it's you making huge generalisations about women you don't know. That isn't an opinion; it's a lie.

Not that I thought that. Aaaaaand another assumption/being inflammatory.

If I did go for a drink with you, the first thing I'd ask you is why you blame everyone else and never examine your own attitude, and I'd also ask why you seem to think women "owe" you, and that you should be able to "get" them more easily.
    You have posted sneers at Irish women; no amount of faux denial and passive-aggressive smileys will change that.

But who would buy the drinks? It's the question everybody wants answered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Only if you beg after cooking the dinner and cleaning up.
    No need for the clean up as I always use a johnny. XXX size, I may add.

• Advertisement

No need for the clean up as I always use a johnny. XXX size, I may add.
    That might prevent the making of said babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

My dopey "Bad boys are so sexy!" phase was over by the age of about 19. "Bad boys" are fuktards, as are the women who fall for them because of their "badness".
    The other scenario is a man or woman seeming really decent but they're actually a dreadful human being, just great at manipulating.

But I bet you were a nice fuktard when you were

:(

*Dismounts wrecking ball*

For you shop I'll make an exception, as long as you don't go licking sledgehammers, that just looks ridiculous altogether! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

How can you not see that would be possible? Did we not read earlier about a nutty feminist who comes out with stuff like PIV is rape?

That can hardly be classified as a common opinion amongst feminists so I think you're really reaching if you thinking that's proof of anything. I know plenty of people who classify themselves as feminists and none of them view consensual sex as rape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Sooooooooooo are women our sexual playthings or not?, if not then iv been getting it badly wrong for a long time, is that not the point of women, to please the menfolk in their lives:cool::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

catallus wrote: »
    Interesting article that I read last week somewhere on Diet Coke and Coke Zero, the way they are sometimes thought to be the same product, but DietCoke is not really coke at all (totally different recipe) and cokezero is the original recipe with no sugar but with more effective sweeteners added; there was much debate about how Zero is marketed at men while diet is marketed at women.

fascinating stuff!

Not every man nor woman holds up vacuous and fleeting celebrities as their role models to aspire to

That's true, but a fair amount of people have looked up to them, It's pushed on us by the media every day that they are to be idolised.

whupdedo wrote: »
    Sooooooooooo are women our sexual playthings or not?, if not then iv been getting it badly wrong for a long time, is that not the point of women, to please the menfolk in their lives:cool::D

Rather than tiptoe around,I should have just simplified the OP, given the reception it got, to 'Respect the Cock' :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

That's true, but a fair amount of people have looked up to them, It's pushed on us by the media every day that they are to be idolised.

Seriously, though, do you believe *everything* you read?

If she appeared on the front page of every newspaper in all the land for the next 6 months, I wouldn't idolise Miley Cyrus. Neither would any single other person I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Seriously, though, do you believe *everything* you read?

If she appeared on the front page of every newspaper in all the land for the next 6 months, I wouldn't idolise Miley Cyrus. Neither would any single other person I know.

You don't, but your bringing it down to a personal level, try generalising and then try and explain the popularity of these over sexualised over promoted semi goddesses;)

• Advertisement

lufties that's what numerous posters, including myself, have tried to explain to you all along -

Of course things are pushed on you, ideas, concepts, idealisms, etc, but it's completely up to you whether you choose to buy into that or not. That daft PIV blog keeps being introduced as 'evidence' of emasculation by feminism, but seriously, if you really think about the numbers, rationalise it, such extreme points of view exist inside a very limited blogsphere, and I know Claire earlier on mentioned how rape kits are given out on college campus' in the states, but again, the states is 260, 270? million people, and I can guarantee you, there are Americans who have never heard of Obama! In all honesty, how many people do you think will have heard of Rihanna? And they don't have to be Mormons either.

The majority of people aren't influenced by celebrity culture, otherwise we'd all want to be celebrities, and despite your claims about how people are influenced by celebrity culture and the media, etc, the reality is - they're not, because they couldn't care less, and so basically it comes down to the individual and their perception of their world around them, and that perception can vary based on numerous demographic and sociological factors. It's not something you can just pin down and say "I blame feminism for the social ineptitude of men", just because you're trying to understand your own social ineptitude.

You don't, but your bringing it down to a personal level, try generalising and then try and explain the popularity of these over sexualised over promoted semi goddesses;)

Silly young wans with poor musical taste are silly?!

Seriously, I think that accounts for the vast majority of her/their popularity. Three/four years of fandom then everyone grows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Rather than tiptoe around,I should have just simplified the OP, given the reception it got, to 'Respect the Cock' :D.

Or maybe you should have posted it in TGC. ;) It was always going to be a train wreck posting it here. Usually the guy just ends up been called a whinger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

That can hardly be classified as a common opinion amongst feminists so I think you're really reaching if you thinking that's proof of anything. I know plenty of people who classify themselves as feminists and none of them view consensual sex as rape.

What about consensual sex when alcohol is present.

I'm pretty sure every college in the country has the unions saying a woman cannot consent if she drinks alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,956 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd say the same about Justin Bieber and boybands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    It's great.
    I'm pretty sure every college in the country has the unions saying a woman cannot consent if she's extremely drunk, to the point of passing out
    FYP

lufties that's what numerous posters, including myself, have tried to explain to you all along -

Of course things are pushed on you, ideas, concepts, idealisms, etc, but it's completely up to you whether you choose to buy into that or not. That daft PIV blog keeps being introduced as 'evidence' of emasculation by feminism, but seriously, if you really think about the numbers, rationalise it, such extreme points of view exist inside a very limited blogsphere, and I know Claire earlier on mentioned how rape kits are given out on college campus' in the states, but again, the states is 260, 270? million people, and I can guarantee you, there are Americans who have never heard of Obama! In all honesty, how many people do you think will have heard of Rihanna? And they don't have to be Mormons either.

The majority of people aren't influenced by celebrity culture, otherwise we'd all want to be celebrities, and despite your claims about how people are influenced by celebrity culture and the media, etc, the reality is - they're not, because they couldn't care less, and so basically it comes down to the individual and their perception of their world around them, and that perception can vary based on numerous demographic and sociological factors. It's not something you can just pin down and say "I blame feminism for the social ineptitude of men", just because you're trying to understand your own social ineptitude.

Look czarcasm, if you can't take or respect my point of view that's fine, but please lose the condescending attitude.

When Rhianna had red hair, I remember being down in Limerick and seeing a lot of the girls walking around down there with the same style. Now you can dismiss this as nonsense, but as far as I see 'celebs' do in fact infuence the masses...be they 'the kardashians' 'the beckhams' 'Harry stiles" or whoever. Anyway that's kind of going of topic.

I'm just pointing out that feminism has had an effect on the male role in society(for some not all), which was traditionally a more dominant role. I'm not blaming women at all (and I'd advise you to read my OP again). I started the thread as a discussion to get others' points of view, not to be offensive in any way.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure every college in the country has the unions saying a woman cannot consent if she drinks alcohol?

You're pretty wrong.

You don't honestly think SUs are going around saying a woman who's had a glass of wine cannot consent?!

Being drunk to the point where consent isn't possible is where problems arise, and it applies to men as well as women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

FYP

You are very right.

But, the student unions don't specify. It can be anything from had a pint, to tipsy, to barely lucid,and full blown unconscious. The last two I would class as rape.

And blackouts can happen on any level of drinking. It's not good for a young woman to feel as if she had been 'raped; if she cannot remember explicitly consenting.

You should type in something along the lines of 'I don't remember what happened last night' and see all the people mentioning date-rape drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah come on, I credit people with more intelligence than taking that man hating nut job blog as representative of anything, same as the thread posted a couple of months back about a male blog that had "issues".

Jaysus, use your nut, the existence of those blogs just proves there's a good few nuts on either side of the extremes, was always the case, just we've youtube and tumblr and whatever and they get far more exposure than they should.

As the ould, very true saying goes, "empty vessels make the most noise". (says he with the 30k+ posts on a social website!)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement