Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in mullingar

Options
  • 24-02-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I am looking to buy in mullingar. I am not from the area ( have moved due to work) and am looking for something close to the M4 (job based between mullingar & Dublin). I haven't a clue where to look:
    -Budget of 150 - 200
    - must be a house
    Which estates would be best to view or avoid?
    Thanks a million in advance ðŸ˜႒

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Some nice options close to the N4 east would be Derravara, Lakepoint park Richdale and Pettiswood manor. Not sure on prices but they should be available in your price range.
    I haven't lived in any of them but have/had friends in all of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

College hill is nice too and the houses are detached semi (garages joined) as opposed to semi detached so there is less neighbour noise etc. its close to the m4 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Its an older estate but newtown lawns is nice. Close enough to walk into town but far enough for it to be quiet. Easy access to M4 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Other nice estates the bypass side of town are Lakepoint, Prospect, Pettitswood and Burnell Drive. We live in Belvedere Hills and weirdly its cheaper than most of them but its lovely and quiet and neighbourly, plus an on site creche.

Welcome to Mullingar, its a great town!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

CaraMay wrote: »
    College hill is nice too and the houses are detached semi (garages joined) as opposed to semi detached so there is less neighbour noise etc. its close to the m4 as well.

I think the correct term is 'link detatched'

• Advertisement

CaraMay wrote: »

I think the correct term is 'link detached'

I'd buy now before the prices go up even more. Getting a martgage is better than renting for sure - Rent money is dead money. Expect to see smug NAMA representatives, big increases in tax flowing into the government coffers, estate agents in flash cars wearing sharp shoes, prada suits and top end Rolex watches, and all the other signs of a good prosperous country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Long Gone wrote: »
    I'd buy now before the prices go up even more. Getting a martgage is better than renting for sure - Rent money is dead money. Expect to see smug NAMA representatives, big increases in tax flowing into the government coffers, estate agents in flash cars wearing sharp shoes, prada suits and top end Rolex watches, and all the other signs of a good prosperous country.

Er, house prices still going down outside Dublin.

Rent money is NOT dead money.
    If you cannot afford to buy a house, then renting is grand and gives you a better standard of living as you don't have money tied up in bricks and mortar and constantly making improvments.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Er, house prices still going down outside Dublin.

Rent money is NOT dead money.
    If you cannot afford to buy a house, then renting is grand and gives you a better standard of living as you don't have money tied up in bricks and mortar and constantly making improvments.

You must be joking ! - Have you checked the Irish House Price Register for the midlands (Athlone in particular) recently ? The local housing market has long since bottomed out and we've now really turned a corner and we're seeing the green shoots of recovery in the housing market. It's a great time to buy now - House prices are only going in one direction.

Rent money is dead money in the sense that you'll never get it back. Put your money in bricks and morter now and you'll be on the pig's back in a few years time when local house prices have risen exponentially.

You must be joking ! - Have you checked the Irish House Price Register for the midlands (Athlone in particular) recently ? The local housing market has long since bottomed out and we've now really turned a corner and we're seeing the green shoots of recovery in the housing market. It's a great time to buy now - House prices are only going in one direction.

Rent money is dead money in the sense that you'll never get it back. Put your money in bricks and morter now and you'll be on the pig's back in a few years time when local house prices have risen exponentially.

you sir, are a fool.
    or an estate agent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

If rent is dead money; what is mortgage interest then? Do you know how much mortgage interest you'd pay over the life of a mortgage.
    Mullingar has a glut of houses, that aren't being sold anytime soon.

If rent is dead money; what is mortgage interest then? Do you know how much mortgage interest you'd pay over the life of a mortgage.
    Mullingar has a glut of houses, that aren't being sold anytime soon.

As regards the glut in Mullingar I'm not surprised - I wouldn't want to buy a house in Mullingar either. Mortgage interest is at an almost all time low at the moment - And mortgage interest payments over the life of a mortgage will be dwarfed by the appreciation in the value of the property over the same time period.

As regards the glut in Mullingar I'm not surprised - I wouldn't want to buy a house in Mullingar either. Mortgage interest is at an almost all time low at the moment - And mortgage interest payments over the life of a mortgage will be dwarfed by the appreciation in the value of the property over the same time period.

prices are still falling
    so they'd have a long way to go to keep up with 4.5% mortgage interest!

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    prices are still falling
    so they'd have a long way to go to keep up with 4.5% mortgage interest!

Are they hell still falling - Have you checked the Irish house price register recently ? Sale prices nationwide are well up on the levels seen at this time last year. There are still some areas where sale prices are depressed. Maybe Mullingar is one, I don't know, but I've always found it very depressing.

Are they hell still falling - Have you checked the Irish house price register recently ? Sale prices nationwide are well up on the levels seen at this time last year. There are still some areas where sale prices are depressed. Maybe Mullingar is one, I don't know, but I've always found it very depressing.

Nationwide? Very few houses being sold in Westmeath
    Exclude Dublin, and prices are still falling.

Advertisement