Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term rent allowance/ ras scheme

Options
  • 24-02-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

A friend of mine has been on rent allowance for quite along time now(thou shes been working and it gets adjusted from time to time) She has been looking for another house for her and her 3 kids for the last few months and hasnt really found anything decent.

She has untill fri to move out and has accepted a smaller house and was in the process of moving her stuff into this house. While moving, she notices one of her neighbors also moving. After a few mins chat with her, turns out that this house is perfect for her and gets the landlords number to see if she can get the house. Turns out its part of a RAS scheme and he'd love to have her in the house because he knows shes a great tennant.

She phones up the office dealing with the RAS scheme and they dont have her in their system even thou she had an appointment with them to call out 2 year ago. Anyway, they told her to contact the council to get on the scheme but what she wants to know, How quick can the process take to have her in the system and would it be possible to get this house shes after or is this to wishful thinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The whole RAS scheme baffles me entirely. On one hand I hear of people waiting absolute MONTHS to get things sorted. I've a cousin YEARs on a waiting list for a council home, yet know a couple who have hopped and chopped three times in the last 18 months, cause they "didn't" like where they were. Not sure if they are on RAS, which I guess is fine considering it's a payment, or if it's council housing.

Issue always seems to be with total lack of information and clarity regarding these things. I'd imagine the best place to contact is either the council or the Social welfare office.

While there is normally great advice on boards in general, I'd be wary when it comes to matters like this, the amount of rubbish advice I've seen giving to people on boards who then go into places armed with it thinking it's legit.

Did she ask the council how long it would take to get sorted, since they are the ones doing the processing? I'd imagine they drag their arse to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

newbie2013 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has been on rent allowance for quite along time now(thou shes been working and it gets adjusted from time to time) She has been looking for another house for her and her 3 kids for the last few months and hasnt really found anything decent.

She has untill fri to move out and has accepted a smaller house and was in the process of moving her stuff into this house. While moving, she notices one of her neighbors also moving. After a few mins chat with her, turns out that this house is perfect for her and gets the landlords number to see if she can get the house. Turns out its part of a RAS scheme and he'd love to have her in the house because he knows shes a great tennant.

She phones up the office dealing with the RAS scheme and they dont have her in their system even thou she had an appointment with them to call out 2 year ago. Anyway, they told her to contact the council to get on the scheme but what she wants to know, How quick can the process take to have her in the system and would it be possible to get this house shes after or is this to wishful thinking.
    Once the council get involved and know that the landlord is happy with her and the RAS scheme they should get things moving very quickly.

Advertisement