Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oars - To varnish or Not to varnish

• 24-02-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I had to get a new pair of oars for a lake boat. They are varnished/treated all over, except on the handle. I read that people prefer using non-varnished oars on the hands. As I`ll be keeping these in the boat, exposed to the elements should I varnish them? The feel of them wont bother me as I`ll just use them for drifting etc., when fishing.

So, what should I do?

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I would varnish them to keep them sealed if you are leaving them open to the elements otherwise they will soak up water become heavy and rot, just my two cent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I think that I used Ronseal wood preserver on my oars a few years ago, but I did not coat the handles - much nicer for rowing. I do store the oars under cover.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Leave the handles unvarnished. You won't be able to grip the handles well if they're wet and varnished so the oars will slip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You could probably oil the handles - but would need regular applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Thanks Folks,

Think I`ll end up varnishing the handles. Because I wont be doing too much rowing it wont bother me. Just dont fancy the idea of them swelling up with water over the year (and especially after the winter we had)!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If you have to coat the handles, I would use a light coating of the wood preserver or oil. There is a reason that the handles were not varnished. The slippery varnish will make rowing difficult as Pigeon Reaper said. Tie a plastic bag over the handles to keep them dry when you leave the boat.
    Jim.

Advertisement