Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid or Engineered Wood Flooring

Options
  • 24-02-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, am knocking down a wall from my kitchen into my sitting room to make one kitchen/sitting room. I want to fit a wooden floor - but I cant figure out if I need solid or engineered wood. Which is best???...........there would be very little traffic - just 2!............Can someone please advise what I should be buying.

Many thanks:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Well from personal experience with both types of flooring I would go for a good engineered floor.

I have a Kahrs semi-solid oak floor in my TV room for about 15 years and it has stood up to all kinds of treatment. It has some bumps and dents but nothing too bad. It doesn't seem to expand and contract too much. It can be sanded and sealed up to 3 times in it's lifetime. I have never had to do that yet.

I have a solid oak floor in my living/dining room and this has given endless grief. It was fitted too tight first day and it buckled badly in the centre. It had to be trimmed all around the perimeter and now when it contracts there's a bit of a gap between the middle boards, not big but obvious to me anyway. The solid timber expands and contracts a lot more. I'm sorry I didn't go with the Kahrs there also. However, the solid floor can be sanded and sealed a lot more, if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Italylover

Wyldwood, Many thanks for your reply - looks like semi solid is the way to go!! Is semi-solid what they call the engineered flooring??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Italylover, I think the terms are interchangeable but I'm no expert.
    There was a good explanation given a while ago in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61762014

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Italylover

Will check out - many thanks once again for your help - it's much appreciated.

Advertisement