Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stolen firearms article

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Seems like exactly the same numbers as in 2005...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

You just know that the rest of the article is also total bullshirt when you read a sentence like this - 'But the poll also found that one in 10 gun owners in Ireland keep their firearm for personal protection.'

As a work of fiction it has nothing to commend it, but as a 'factual' document it is sheer tripe.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If that looks familiar, look at this from only 2 weeks ago. The article is 5 months old. Other than the first paragraph or so the remainder is a "copy and paste".

Top notch reporting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Cass wrote: »
    If that looks familiar, look at this from only 2 weeks ago. The article is 5 months old. Other than the first paragraph or so the remainder is a "copy and paste".

Top notch reporting.

Its the timing thats curious though, we all know whats in the wind with the review and what the ags are rumoured to be seeking this month.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    That is the greatest work of fiction since .................... well i better not say as it might offend some people. Needless to say it's a poll of opinions/beliefs of only 1,000 people. OPINIONS and BELIEFS. Not fact, and more importantly not relating to Ireland only. Most of that survey, as i said in the other thread i linked to is European based and as such makes broad sweeping statements about the entire EU and not country specific.
    rowa wrote: »
    Its the timing thats curious though, we all know whats in the wind with the review and what the ags are rumoured to be seeking this month.
    It's not a conspiracy. Someone has gotten wind of possible changes based on PMQs and has decided to do a rush piece to piggy back on the "popularity" of the topic. Well that's what i think. Plus there is never a bad time for them to do a "guns are bad m'kay" story.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Pure sh!t and a pathetic attempt at journalism, this is blatant propaganda.
    They refer to Irish registered firearms as weapons several times, purely as an attempt to get the do gooders pushing there glasses back up their noses and get them nodding at newspapers.

We can defend ourselves (with reasonable force) and if a lad can get the trigger lock off or the safe open in time to defend himself I say more power to him.

Fu€k sake if you have a legally help gun in Ireland your squeaky clean and not some greasy poorly educated pathetic excuse for a journalist. But this article and just about any article or organisation won't ever take away our guns, only other shooters can loose that for us.
    There's 220,000 licenses say 2 guns per person that's 110,000 people 110,000 votes. With local elections coming up what do you say at the door to them when they ask for your vote? Better still the hand full of organisations that represent us are useless yet we tolerate them? Why not tell every organisation that represents us as sportsmen to get ta fu€k and have just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Spin , 8 legal guns a week? why did they not say there were 3 illegal guns seized every day?

valerossi wrote: »
    There's 220,000 licenses say 2 guns per person that's 110,000 people 110,000 votes.
    220,000 is the figure from before 2009. The current number is 178,191.
    Better still the hand full of organisations that represent us are useless yet we tolerate them? Why not tell every organisation that represents us as sportsmen to get ta fu€k and have just one?

This used to be in the boards.ie wiki until the machine that ran that fell over (it's a bit far down the priorities list of the devs to get it back up and running). It was written in 2009, but it's still true today.
    ShootingFAQ:Why don't we have a single body for all shooting?

This question (and its variants) is asked roughly once a month on the Shooting forums. You may find people somewhat brusque in their treatment of the question for this reason; please don't take it personally, some of us have been wrestling with the problem for decades.

There are many reasons why we don't have such a single body, but they tend to fall into one of five main categories:
    • Historical reasons (bodies sprang up as new disciplines evolved and never got round to merging)
    • Personal reasons (bodies split because individuals couldn't stand one another)
    • Political reasons (bodies split or didn't merge because agendas conflicted)
    • Regulatory reasons (bodies couldn't merge or had to split because of the requirements of their disciplines)
    • Autonomy reasons (bodies didn't merge because one was much larger than the other which would mean the smaller body's voting rights in a merged body were diluted past the point where any degree of autonomy was preserved)

These reasons also prevent the forming of a single unified body to manage all the shooting disciplines in Ireland, despite the current rather complex governance situation:
    292930.png

There are some things to keep in mind when considering this state of affairs however:
    • As sports, shooting disciplines are not merely different shades of the same colour. It doesn't necessarily make sense to have one governing body for sports as diverse as Olympic rifle/pistol/shotgun shooting and Gallery Rifle or Class F shooting. Just because all shooting sports use a firearm of one kind or another does not mean they're all the same, any more than the fact that Golf, Tennis and Soccer all use a ball means that they should have a single governing body.
    • Several governing bodies are prohibited from merging by directives from their sports' international governing bodies. The NTSA, for example, could not have merged with the IPSA (while it existed) because a directive from ISSF prohibited such a merger, or even membership of the same federation.
    • Several governing bodies cannot merge because they already are part of other federations - the Pony Club's tetrathlon body, for example, is both a shooting governing body and a member of the SSAI; and an equestrian governing body and a member of the Equestrian federation. Similar issues arise with Modern Pentathlon and Biathlon sports, amongst others.
    • The personal issues which arose over decades between governing bodies are in some cases purely ego-based and are not good reasons on which to prevent a merger. Some, however, are based on past experiences where individuals proved repeatedly that they were not capable of behaving in an even-handed manner, and so long as they remain in office, such a merger is prohibited by common sense. Even when those individuals step down or are forced to, much mistrust remains. This is only trivial to those who do not give up the bulk of their free time to help run sports on a volunteer basis.
    • Lastly, a single body governing all of shooting would be an exercise in conflicting interests. For example, if there is only sufficient funding to cater to the interests of one specific discipline, how should the appropriate course of action be decided? Who would accept that decision? What about cases where the interests of one discipline threaten the interests of others? Questions like this plague anyone attempting consolidation in any field, but in ours where many feel their sports are being threatened and persecuted, they are even more difficult to handle. Even in more even-keeled countries abroad, such consolidation efforts take years to complete, where they succeed at all.
    Above all else, remember that this is not a simple problem. People have been working on it for decades and it shows no sign of getting any better. Believing there's a simple solution to it is very probably incorrect.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Why not tell every organisation that represents us as sportsmen to get ta fu€k and have just one?

Do you think there's even one person on the planet who could fairly, competently and intelligently represent all the shooters in Ireland? Never mind getting enough of these saintly, mystical creatures to actually be able to handle the workload...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    220,000 is the figure from before 2009. The current number is 178,191.

This used to be in the boards.ie wiki until the machine that ran that fell over (it's a bit far down the priorities list of the devs to get it back up and running). It was written in 2009, but it's still true today.

But my point is that between egos and back stabbing the ones that can merge won't because of a few rotting eggs, I'm not claiming to know all the ins and outs of the politics involved but I genuinely can't see why one governing body is not in place to represent common interest etc gun laws at a governmental level.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Do you think there's even one person on the planet who could fairly, competently and intelligently represent all the shooters in Ireland? Never mind getting enough of these saintly, mystical creatures to actually be able to handle the workload...

Ah I detect sarcasm? Short answer YES

But my point is that between egos and back stabbing the ones that can merge won't because of a few rotting eggs, I'm not claiming to know all the ins and outs of the politics involved but I genuinely can't see why one governing body is not in place to represent common interest etc gun laws at a governmental level.
    For the reasons outlined above:
    The personal issues which arose over decades between governing bodies are in some cases purely ego-based and are not good reasons on which to prevent a merger. Some, however, are based on past experiences where individuals proved repeatedly that they were not capable of behaving in an even-handed manner, and so long as they remain in office, such a merger is prohibited by common sense.

We had something that did what you're looking for, it was the FCP, and it got thrown away.

Personally, I've just given up on this getting resolved so long as a few people are allowed in admin bodies (and we're talking less than a dozen really). But nobody in the sport gives enough of a fig to even know who the NGBs are, let alone who the incompetent troublemakers are, and until that changes, nothing else will.

Longer, more informed answer based on a decade or so of direct experience of the problem: No, there really aren't.

Short answer YES
    Who?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Actually no, I'm deadly serious.

I don't know anyone currently or previously involved in shooting sports administration who would be trusted by a majority of shooters. 50%+1 would be hard, never mind the 80%+ support you'd need to actually get stuff done.

And it's not because they're all evil or anything. It's simply that the shooting communities are too diverse for anyone to even know how to represent them all without accidentally screwing something up.

For the reasons outlined above:

We had something that did what you're looking for, it was the FCP, and it got thrown away.

Personally, I've just given up on this getting resolved so long as a few people are allowed in admin bodies (and we're talking less than a dozen really). But nobody in the sport gives enough of a fig to even know who the NGBs are, let alone who the incompetent troublemakers are, and until that changes, nothing else will.

But that's my exact point that dozen your talking about, that's the sole reason no one body represents us to the law makers so as a result once the semi auto shotguns and handguns are gone attention will be turned to centerfire rifles then shotguns and rimfires followed closely by air guns.

But that's my exact point that dozen your talking about, that's the sole reason no one body represents us to the law makers so as a result once the semi auto shotguns and handguns are gone attention will be turned to centerfire rifles then shotguns and rimfires followed closely by air guns.

That's not the sole reason that no one body represents us to the law makers.
    As I said, we had a single body - the FCP - where the DoJ (representing the Minister), the AGS, the insurers, the Sports Council and all of the shooting NGBs were represented so that we could all sit at one table and discuss this sort of thing. The sole reason we no longer have that is that the NARGC pulled out of it in a way that made it impossible to continue. If they want better representation with the state, they shouldn't be trying to set up a new lobby group, they should be trying to mend bridges and go back in and sit down at the table and restart the FCP.

That's not the sole reason that no one body represents us to the law makers.
    As I said, we had a single body - the FCP - where the DoJ (representing the Minister), the AGS, the insurers, the Sports Council and all of the shooting NGBs were represented so that we could all sit at one table and discuss this sort of thing. The sole reason we no longer have that is that the NARGC pulled out of it in a way that made it impossible to continue. If they want better representation with the state, they shouldn't be trying to set up a new lobby group, they should be trying to mend bridges and go back in and sit down at the table and restart the FCP.

I no what I'm trying to say May seem simplistic if not idiotic sparks but the one common interest we all share is the will to keep our fire arms. That's the only thing we need in common for a reformed FCP or what every lobby group we send to DOJ with one goal to show government that every license holder and their family have a voice.
    Then once that's sorted let everyone go back to bickering and nitpicking.

Sorry rowa I've dragged your thread to sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

FCP, FCP, FCP :eek:

We know, we know :rolleyes: (for those wondering this is not sarcasm I'm just sick of hearing about "what was" & lads proposing "what could be" being shot down)

So are we to believe NARGC left the FCP for no valid reason?

Are you going to tell us why they left?

Or do you know?

"Irish Shooters Digest" readers will have a fair idea as Des wrote a few articles in it about the subject.

Not saying NARGC are the be all & end all but they do technically represent the largest group of shooters in this country possibly apart from those in IFA, some of who are probably in NARGC also, if my area is anything to go by.

Let's not forget if NARGC didn't take & put the money up for the court cases that basically made the Gardaí review their "policy" on firearms licencing there would be no fullbore pistols or rifles over .270 licenced here at the moment.

"Eaten bread is easily forgotten" :mad:

If there are only 12 people controlling & ****ing up shooting in this country maybe it's time there was a new organisation set up as most lads I know are sick of the current situation. Lots of us know who the trouble makers are. So how hard would it be to keep them away from the reigns?

• Advertisement

Dian Cecht wrote: »
    So are we to believe NARGC left the FCP for no valid reason?
    Are you going to tell us why they left?
    Or do you know?
    I have my own opinions based on being fairly close to things for a long period of time.
    I've also read the Defamation Act and I know posting here is legally publication.
    "Irish Shooters Digest" readers will have a fair idea as Des wrote a few articles in it about the subject.
    Would this be the article where he said that centerfire pistol owners were breaking the law regularly and shouldn't be allowed to own firearms at all? Or do you mean a different one?
    Not saying NARGC are the be all & end all but they do technically represent the largest group of shooters in this country possibly apart from those in IFA, some of who are probably in NARGC also, if my area is anything to go by.
    The IFA would have somewhere in the region of five to six times as many shooting members as the NARGC, more paid staff, and more time spent lobbying more effectively for their members than the NARGC (that's just the way of things - they're a larger, richer body with more political weight to chuck about the place).

The IFA did not pull out of the FCP.
    Draw your own conclusions.
    Let's not forget if NARGC didn't take & put the money up for the court cases that basically made the Gardaí review their "policy" on firearms licencing there would be no fullbore pistols or rifles over .270 licenced here at the moment.
    Court case.
    One, singular. Frank Brophy's olympic single-shot .22lr Toz-35 pistol.
    Not all of us forget this morning's toast.

Thing is, some of us also remember being told of meetings where we were offered pistols a decade before that court case, and turned them down because we weren't offered everything. Instead of a modification of the policy, we walked away hoping we'd get the policy rescinded completely and that the courts would best the government.
    Go apply for a centerfire pistol licence today if you want to check on how that went.
    If there are only 12 people controlling & ****ing up shooting in this country maybe it's time there was a new organisation set up...
    So how hard would it be to keep them away from the reigns?
    Get 50% of your sport's shooters to show up for one AGM.
    Just do that one, simple task.
    Once.
    After you've managed to do that, you'll understand the magnitude of the question you're asking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

using this guy's figures, 284 firearms stolen every year, 900 illegal firearms seized by gardai every year.

Where would criminals get firearms if they could not steal them from us?

178,000 licensed firearms/ 284 stolen = 0.0016% per annum.

Must get that preposterously high figure down, somehow.

Fair points Sparks. We, as a community, are doomed by the inaction of the many & the few that do bother :(

Apparently, Mr Brophys' subsequent application for a 9mm on the strength of the winning the case for a .22lr really pissed off the DOJ. Any truth in that?

Wasn't Nicholas Floods' case 'fronted' by NARGC also?

Dian Cecht wrote: »
    Fair points Sparks. We, as a community, are doomed by the inaction of the many & the few that do bother :(
    The inaction of the many, yes.
    The action of the few, not so much.
    The unwise actions of a tiny minority, yeah, I'd agree with that.
    Apparently, Mr Brophys' subsequent application for a 9mm on the strength of the winning the case for a .22lr really pissed off the DOJ. Any truth in that?
    Honestly don't know, but I thought it was a substitution rather than a new application. And from what I remember of the time, the main argument going on was between the Minister and the Commissioner because McDowell came into office making large promises about sweeping reforms of the Gardai. I can't rule it out, but I would be surprised if Frank was deemed important enough to be annoyed by in the Department (that's not a slur on Frank, none of us really ping the radar in the DoJ outside of the firearms unit. We're just not that big a concern to them, much as our egos swear it should be otherwise). His local Super, that might be another matter, but he'd just taken him to court so that might have been an unavoidable state of affairs anyway. But his local Super isn't the DoJ and doesn't answer to the DoJ and the size of the row that would break out if the DoJ tried to change that would be far bigger than the row we're seeing in the press right now.
    Wasn't Nicholas Floods' case 'fronted' by NARGC also?
    No, but Nicholas' case didn't bring back fullbore rifles. When Frank's case succeeded, the entire garda policy (of not licencing anything other than shotguns, airguns and rifles under .270 Winchester) stopped there and then, it wasn't just modified - so after Brophy, everything was again licencable.

How much of that was down to the court case and how much of that was down to the Commissioner seeing a way to use us to embarress the Minister, I don't think anyone will ever know for sure, but personally I believe there was at least a bit of the latter going on, though the former was still necessary at the time.

And there was a rather strident article in the Digest at one point regarding who had backed what court cases and what effect they had had, so all of this is not just fine detail in a historical footnote, it seems to matter personally to quite a few people.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No, but Nicholas' case didn't bring back fullbore rifles.

Just to be clear Nicholas Flood's case did bring us rifles of .308 caliber and above.

Just to be very clear, it did not. The policy had been removed following Brophy and Nicholas's case was never heard, it was settled out of court and set no precedent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just to be very clear, it did not. The policy had been removed following Brophy and Nicholas's case was never heard, it was settled out of court and set no precedent.

So if Nicholas Flood did not take his case we would have .308 rifles within the same timeframe?

Are you saying that ther is no connection between these events?

Yes, because for all intents and purposes relating to licencing (apart from the stress it put him under personally), the case didn't happen. It was settled, so no hearing and no verdict and no precedent and thus no effect. The policy the AGS were using had been dropped over the Brophy case before the settlement happened (and may well have been a factor in that settlement with Nicholas' super being told the policy behind the refusal he'd given now having changed and so the court case being unnecessary - though obviously that's just my opinion since I haven't bugged any garda offices :pac: ).

I stand corrected so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

we were consulted on this last year,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056933761

Obviously that was a wasted exercise when they didn't get the answer they wanted.

Maybe the results are useful? Sample size much larger, so should have some weight.

All you need is a journo with an open mind.......but I don't remember meeting one lately.

Advertisement