Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Debate: Gameweek 28

• 24-02-2014 5:24pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I said last week that I would pick a more meaty topic once we have a full week to discuss things.

Ever since the return of Daniel Sturridge from injury, we have seen him take Luis Suarez's position as the spearhead of the Liverpool attack. In 7 games, he has scored 75 points including 9 goals. This has had a clear detremental effect on the scoring output of Suarez.

For the first time this season, people are beginning to doubt Suarez's "essential" status. 15,000 people have transferred him out as of Monday afternoon - something that was unthinkable a few weeks ago.

But are people jumping the gun - we have to remember that in the aforementioned 9 games, Suarez has 3 goals and 5 assists. That return eclipes most other strikers. But is he worth the £13.3 m or is this money better spent on other areas as we enter the final gameweeks of the season?

Will people hold him because "everyone has him" or will people sell him in hopes of securing critical differentials?

That's the Debate for this week.

IS THE TIME RIGHT TO SELL LUIS SUAREZ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Time for both. I would imagine we will see quite a few teams going with Suarez, Sturridge & Aguero in a few weeks time. Back to the template it was getting interesting for a while there with people having Ade, Lambo/JRod, Giroud etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

No is the answer as most competitors will still keep him and some explosive returns from him could destroy any mini-league hopes. A more pertinent question would be is Suarez now dispensible as a captaincy choice over the likes of Sturridge/Ade/Hazard which imo the answer is yes right now. I am only sorry i did not have the balls to go with my gut on the captaincy rather than the safe choice for the last 3 weeks otherwise i'd be in the top 500 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

zarquon wrote: »
    No is the answer as most competitors will still keep him and some explosive returns from him could destroy any mini-league hopes. A more pertinent question would be is Suarez now dispensible as a captaincy choice over the likes of Sturridge/Ade/Hazard which imo the answer is yes right now. I am only sorry i did not have the balls to go with my gut on the captaincy rather than the safe choice for the last 3 weeks otherwise i'd be in the top 500 now
    jimmii wrote: »
    Time for both. I would imagine we will see quite a few teams going with Suarez, Sturridge & Aguero in a few weeks time. Back to the template it was getting interesting for a while there with people having Ade, Lambo/JRod, Giroud etc!

I'd agree with Zarquon, best to keep the leagues top scorer and assist maker, even if he is tired. He'll get a rest in GW29 and no cup distractions for Liverpool. Keeping him as captain though......ahead of Sturridge?

Just on the Sturridge-Suarez-aguerro front 3 - can people afford that without ripping up their teams? Guys with high team value certainly can but I think the average joe would have a much cheapened midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

steve_r wrote: »
    Just on the Sturridge-Suarez-aguerro front 3 - can people afford that without ripping up their teams? Guys with high team value certainly can but I think the average joe would have a much cheapened midfield

I think we'll see a lot of people running with it. There is a lot of value in midfield people will be willing to sacrifice the funds there to get that trio.

There are some insane team values guy at the top of some of the boards leagues is over £117m now thats incredible for someone playing the game and not just looking to bank the money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I had Suarez, Sturridge, Aguero with Ozil, Mata and Hazzard in midfield. in gameweek 24,

What gave was my defense, there was nothing of value there.

I can't get that team back though as I've invested in my defense, I'm planning to swap Suarez for Aguero if he comes back from injury before City have all their double game weeks.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have a team value of 115.1 million and have four expensive defenders - Terry, Ivan, Mertesacker and Coleman.

Mertesacker's days are already numbered. He'll be transferred our for a cheaper defender next week. Terry or Ivan will then probably go come GW30.

That should free up the cash for me to do Ade to Aguero. There's no way I would get rid of Suarez.

I think I'll stop captaining him but I'll stick by what I said last week in the captaincy thread. Suarez is due a big score again soon IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I had Suarez, Sturridge, Aguero with Ozil, Mata and Hazzard in midfield. in gameweek 24,

What gave was my defense, there was nothing of value there.

I can't get that team back though as I've invested in my defense, I'm planning to swap Suarez for Aguero if he comes back from injury before City have all their double game weeks.

Having a defence comprised of 3 cheapies, 1 mid priced and one premium is the way I'm going to go. I can see a lot of the bottom teams keeping cleanies now as they look to fight the drop. We know from experience that West Ham are reliable for keeping teams scoreless and Pulis has worked wonders at Palace. I can see this happening with the likes of Stoke, West Brom and Norwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

Really want to have SAS and Aguero for the last 7 gameweeks. Currently have Mata,Yaya and Hazard with Benteke up front so one of them premium mids would have to go. Thinking Hazard but that could be costly points wise,what I wonder though is Aguero worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No point-

Having two pool is suicide when they are not playing GW 29.

I am planning my transfers so I have 11 players 28 (none needed) and 29 Mert out for a playing Defender that week.

After that I can look at cozy permutations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've went from 400k to 143k in my 4 or so weeks "living without Luis".
    Even though I was confident(ish) that Sturridge would match him for points, I still wouldn't have gotten rid of Suarez if I was in a better position.

I'm starting to think about getting him back, not before GW31.
    We'll see how the next 3 GW's go.
    I've reduced the gap to my pay league leader to ~ 100 (from 160), so I'm still clinging on to that... An incredible long shot but there's a glimmer of hope.
    He's in awful bad shape for the next 2 weeks and I he's going to have serious money on the bench in Yaya & Suarez among a few others. He won't sell, I'm almost certain.

If I could get with 60 after those 2 GW's, I will continue with the gambles, if not, and if I think I'm out for sure, I'll be far more likely to go Suarez & Sturridge.

I may put RVP up there with them as some sort of crazy differential. Top 50k or bust is my new goal.
    Will have to see how much time Aguero will get. RVP has been sluggish enough since his return, but he's still getting points, if he (& United) hits some real form, it could be a massive diff.

I'm in gamble mode, it would prob leave me with someone like Adam instead of Hazard.

Would I sell Suarez?
    I did a month ago :)

I don't think there would be much action in the "anyone thinking about buying Suarez thread" so I won't set it up just yet ;)

I think it should all come down to how much gamble you need re final position(s), it's not a move that calls for the lads in the white coats anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

FutureGuy wrote: »
    But is he worth the £13.3 m or is this money better spent on other areas as we enter the final gameweeks of the season?

Will people hold him because "everyone has him" or will people sell him in hopes of securing critical differentials?

I think the correct question is is he worth £12.something m since most players got him early enough?
    So the problem of selling him is that it'll most certainly be a permanent transfer out. I don't think many can afford losing £1m or more in the process.

One thing I noted though is Suarez claiming a few weeks ago to be afraid of getting injured and thus missing the WC. I haven't seen Liverpool play since so can't say if he's not giving the same intensity than before (apparently from what other posters here said this is not the case) but the coincidence is that he's not been scoring great since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

iroced wrote: »
    I think the correct question is is he worth £12.something m since most players got him early enough?
    So the problem of selling him is that it'll most certainly be a permanent transfer out. I don't think many can afford losing £1m or more in the process.

One thing I noted though is Suarez claiming a few weeks ago to be afraid of getting injured and thus missing the WC. I haven't seen Liverpool play since so can't say if he's not giving the same intensity than before (apparently from what other posters here said this is not the case) but the coincidence is that he's not been scoring great since.

Sunday was the first full game I've seen him play lately and I definitely though he was in a different gear than at the peak. As someone said, maybe the cup break will see him come back energised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I have Suarez but can't afford to get Sturridge into my team without butchering it or doing a straight swap. Tempted as I am, as it would free up money to improve my defence, I'm gonna hold onto him for the moment. I'll reconsider my position after the next two gameweeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I think the main reason to keep him is that there are no alternatives really.
    The only reason i keep him - however - is that he is still very involved in the Liverpool attacking power.
    He started playing for the team more than for himself, but this will change very soon imo.
    You can see him hanging behind the box for quite a while during the game and passing the ball to the others.

It is a great player, Liverpool owes him a lot this season, so does Sturridge.

Anyway, can't see a reason to get rid - there are no options out there this season.

I wonder what the 15000 crowd did with the money? Adebayor/RVP and Rooney are the only options really.

Liverpool is only involved in the PL games now, safest bet really anyway.
    No other team has a 1 game a week these days.

wonski wrote: »
    Liverpool is only involved in the PL games now, safest bet really anyway.
    No other team has a 1 game a week these days.

They don't have a game in week 29

I bought Suarez for 10.9m. The question to me is, is he worth 10.9 and the answer is a resounding yes. Similiary bought sturridge for 9.1m and neither are going anywhere for now. They will stay on my bench for GW 29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

8-10 wrote: »

That's how I read it at first, but I think the point was that they don't have a congested fixture list so he'll be fresh and playing in any GW they have a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

8-10 wrote: »
    PARlance wrote: »
    That's how I read it at first, but I think the point was that they don't have a congested fixture list so he'll be fresh and playing in any GW they have a game.

This is what I meant.
    Posting late at night so wasn't very clear.

Also bought him for 10.9 so can't risk getting him out any time soon. Especially when Aguero might be back soon and those 2 with Sturridge look like a perfect combination.

wonski wrote: »
    This is what I meant.
    Posting late at night so wasn't very clear.

Got it. Yep so after GW29 there should be no rotation bar injury and no other fixtures between league games, even internationals I think as the last ones before the end of the season are before GW29.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Now that Suarez has a double in GW31, does that affect people's thinking?

Benching pool players for GW 29 is the way to go. I will probably bring in another pool attacker for GW31 as i'll be carrying 2 FT into GW 30 and have Sturriddge and Suarez in my team already. So post GW 29 will see Yaya, Kompany and either sterling or gerrard into my team, most likely Sterling to allow for the acquisition of Aguero.

I am really looking forward to the next few weeks, my team is setup incredibly well and if i get the captaincy choices right i will consolidate victory in my private leagues. I can field 11 for GW29 and 10 doublers for GW 31 without any points hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Definitely. It's the Liverpool DGW I was hoping for. It means I'll be dropping RVP for 31 and going SAS and Aguero.

Downside is it suits people who have SaS already.

Im fact it may be worth Mata to Gerrard but probably won't have the transfers to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I currently have suarez ade sturridge.
    Gw 29 and 30 rooney ade suarez
    Gw 31 rooney sturridge suarez
    Gw 32 onwards aguero sturridge suarez.

Really dont see myself selling suarez. I never bought into that captain him every week talk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

It was tempting to swap Aguero in for Suarez for GW31 but now Liverpool have a double too it would be mad to imo. Suarez, Aguero and Sturridge will be the popular forward trio that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

steve_r wrote: »

Probably can't (haven't really tried yet) as I started the game really late.

But may try it and arrange it with a cheap defense. Someone mentioned that a few teams battling against relegation will/should tighten up at the back. We've already seen WH and Norwich. Sunderland may be good too (they have great home fixtures). Think I'll try go round that route. Tried J Rod & Benteke upfront recently to accommodate for a more expensive defense and if the defense worked OK (but not that much better than the WH, Norwich or Sunderland cheap guys) the forwards were a big fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Neoulous wrote: »
    Probably can't (haven't really tried yet) as I started the game really late.

But may try it and arrange it with a cheap defense. Someone mentioned that a few teams battling against relegation will/should tighten up at the back. We've already seen WH and Norwich. Sunderland may be good too (they have great home fixtures). Think I'll try go round that route. Tried J Rod & Benteke upfront recently to accommodate for a more expensive defense and if the defense worked OK (but not that much better than the WH, Norwich or Sunderland cheap guys) the forwards were a big fail.

I tore up my team with the Jan wildcard to accommodate Aguerro, who got injured. If you do buy cheap players, make sure they play as it's very hard to ship them out afterwards.

Advertisement