Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locally produced honey

Options
  • 24-02-2014 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi, would anyone know where I could get a locally produced honey? I am talking very locally produced..as in County Galway. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Hi, would anyone know where I could get a locally produced honey? I am talking very locally produced..as in County Galway. Thanks

Moycullen market sells local honey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

wprathead wrote: »
    Moycullen market sells local honey

Great thanks. Never knew there was a market there! Thank u!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Yep I got some in Moycullen market before, produced in Co. Galway, think it's €6/8 per jar. I got some lovely jam off them too. It's only there Fridays though, just turn up left at/just before the forge. Really nice market.

Thank you. I am 100% going to moycullen this Friday to that market. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

http://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Mil-Orga-Limited-499536

Mil Orga; A Mayo family that I know lovely family Luke Hyland the son has settled in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thank you. I am 100% going to moycullen this Friday to that market. Many thanks.
    I'll see you there, I go most Fridays for local eggs, veg and cheese. Nothing like meeting the people that produce the food you eat.
    Also see here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There's a dude with a stall at the regular saturday market too. That's where I got some local honey.

He knows a whole hell of a lot about honey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

There's a dude with a stall at the regular saturday market too. That's where I got some local honey.

parents are beekeepers... If you mention honey or bee's around either you will be stuck for a minimum 30 mins hearing about some facet of beekeeping.. have learnt not to bring it up when visiting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

wprathead wrote: »
    parents are beekeepers... If you mention honey or bee's around either you will be stuck for a minimum 30 mins hearing about some facet of beekeeping.. have learnt not to bring it up when visiting

I wouldn't mind trying some. Does he just sell honey? Or what labels does he have on his jars? Just so I can recognise the stall! :)

Just been to the market in moycullen and no stall sells honey unfortunately

• Advertisement

Just to follow up...finally managed to get some in McCambridges today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Just to follow up...finally managed to get some in McCambridges today!

Thanks. Where is it produced according to the jar of honey ?

D Trent wrote: »
    Thanks. Where is it produced according to the jar of honey ?

Oughterard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cbd18

I got some Galway honey at the Saturday market in Galway city center. It was from a stand that is usually there at the market. I thought it was a bit pricey tho as it was 5 euro for 227g (1/2 lb) of honey. I'm not 100% sure but I may have seen Galway honey at Joyces in Knocknacarra - they are quite nice you could probably ring them and ask if they supply local honey. Not only did I find the jar of honey a bit pricey from the stall at the Galway market but there were specks of black near the top of my jar which I suspect means it is dirty honey and needed to be filtered a bit more (most debris would be hive settlement or pollen so perhaps a lighter filter was used or it is dirt from some of the equipment) but it means before I use it I need to pour the dirty bits out which will mean even less honey for 5 euro - - so my point is, if you go to the Galway market open the jar before you buy it to make sure it's clean.

It says on the label O'Malley Moneymore Oranmore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

cbd18 wrote: »
    I got some Galway honey at the Saturday market in Galway city center. It was from a stand that is usually there at the market. I thought it was a bit pricey tho as it was 5 euro for 227g (1/2 lb) of honey. I'm not 100% sure but I may have seen Galway honey at Joyces in Knocknacarra - they are quite nice you could probably ring them and ask if they supply local honey. Not only did I find the jar of honey a bit pricey from the stall at the Galway market but there were specks of black near the top of my jar which I suspect means it is dirty honey and needed to be filtered a bit more (most debris would be hive settlement or pollen so perhaps a lighter filter was used or it is dirt from some of the equipment) but it means before I use it I need to pour the dirty bits out which will mean even less honey for 5 euro - - so my point is, if you go to the Galway market open the jar before you buy it to make sure it's clean.

Happened to be in Joyce's this morning and checked, they have West of Ireland Home Produced Honey from Brennans of Cortoon. 340g are €6.99, as far as I could see there were only 3 jars of this on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cbd18 wrote: »

Maybe you could bring it back to the stall at the market and see what the producer says? They might give you a replacement jar.

Advertisement